Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriele Olivari
Italy
Senna Lodigiana
Lodi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much fortune in the cards drawing.... maybe a little modify in the cards deck can give much more interaction and depht: for example, two territories on each card, 1st "principal" where you can play 3 settlers and a 2nd different type "secodary" where you can play only two settlers...

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is about managing the randomness of the card draw. Once you understand that aspect of it, it is no more luck dependent than the average game (I wouldn't play it otherwise). Removing it would make the game less fun for those who appreciate this aspect, while those who don't will probably still not like the game.

The complaint about the random card draw has been raised countless times since this game has been released. I always explain how the card draw can be managed when teaching the game and have never had anyone complain about it. So I think where the game often falls short is in how it is taught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't decide which game complaint is more tiresome, the 1-card draw in Kingdom Builder or the Spider piece in Hive! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the game shines in its current form. More choices would make the game less challenging and merely yet one more race for points among a field of games already crowded with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming Marshlands expansion has something very close to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Olivari
Italy
Senna Lodigiana
Lodi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see how draw 4-5 cards randomly alternated in only 2 kind of terrain can be succesfully managed by an expert player... only lucky.

That case is not sufficiently rare.... Yes, for all the players is the same but a game haven't to be balaced in the hoodoo but in the gameplay.

I see very well a 2nd kind of terrain... maybe not for 2 settlers, but certainly for 1. (for me, obviously)

Thank You for your opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
cereus wrote:
I can't see how draw 4-5 cards randomly alternated in only 2 kind of terrain can be succesfully managed by an expert player... only lucky.

That case is not sufficiently rare.... Yes, for all the players is the same but a game haven't to be balaced in the hoodoo but in the gameplay.

I see very well a 2nd kind of terrain... maybe not for 2 settlers, but certainly for 1. (for me, obviously)

Thank You for your opinion.

There is a manageable amount of luck. Getting appropriate bonus tiles and using them well lets you work with the cards you draw. I will beat someone who only plays occasionally and someone who plays a lot will beat me. Basically a good player will almost always beat an average player and so to me that means there isn't as much luck as perceived.

Rather than try and change rules why not just play another game you prefer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Olivari
Italy
Senna Lodigiana
Lodi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenrowlands2 wrote:

Rather than try and change rules why not just play another game you prefer?

Because I think the game is very good... but I also think it can be even more intresting if it was possible to reduce a little the aleatory of the topdeck.

Bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would recommend playing against the hard AI in the iOS app.

[note, there appears to be a minor bug in the app with the very uppermost left hex]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.