12 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Several questions after three games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MK A
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey there, we played already three games and enjoyed the board game at all very well.

But still there are some things, which seem to us to be kinda unclear. I want to ask for answers:

1. Does the unrevealed rebel base count as loyal system to the rebels regarding missions ("6 planets with loyal rebel symbol" e.g.) as there is a loyality marker placed?

2. Tactic-Card of Admiral Ackbar: it says, all units in that certain combat have -1 "life" with a minimum of 1 (I dont know the English expression, sorry) - does this include rebel units as well?

3. Is there any way to prevent your opponent to use a tactic-card? Is the usage of tactic-cards limited in some way? Like max. 1 per round?

4. Concerning a new game: when we drew the cards to see where the empire / the rebels start, it clearly says that the Empire has to put at least one ground unit on each planet it got. And the rebels can put units in either one (!) neutral system or one with a rebel symbol plus the hidden base: is it meant, that the rebel will deploy after the empire? Or how is the deployment made: first unit empire, then rebels etc?

It seems the empire can in that way wait for the rebel player to place 1 unit and then mass all the units next to the system, as the rebels wont be present on another planet anyways.

5. Combat-Cards: am I allowed to use "produced" cards (with the special symbol) in the same combatround as I produce them?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid Cichy
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, it is not a system nor a planet.
2. Yes (also - it is Action Card)
3. No. But you only get as many cards as your Leader Tactic value (once, at the begining of combat) - later you have to spend lightsabers dice result to draw additional.
4. Rebels put their units on their base and/or on ONE of Rebel-loyal system. Timing of setup deployment is explained step-by-step in the Learn to play rulebook.
5. "combat-cards" are...? Do you mean Action Cards or Tactic Cards? I guess it's about Tactic Cards, so yes - it is about timing: you spend your cards AFTER the dice roll in with you spend dice results to produce Tactic Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK A
Germany
flag msg tools
Ah sorry, i really mixed the expressions. To clearfiy it:

3. Is there a way to prevent an enemy to use an ACTION card

5. TACTIC-Cards: e.g. I have a leader involved in a certain combat which provides me 3 tactic-cards for space-battle. I drew that cards and roll the die. If the die rolled would provide me an extra-card: may I use exactly those extra-produced (not the ones of the start) in the same turn or do I have to wait for the next combat round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4) when you use the advanced setup, then the rebel player draws probe cards and keeps only those systems that bear the rebel symbol, thats where the rebel starting units are to be placed.

the empire likewise draws probe cards and only uses those that bear the imperial symbol, thats where he can play his starting units.

so while some empire starting systems may be adjacent to rebel starting systems, it really depends which ones were drawn by either side and the rebels likely have a system that isnt adjacent.

the empire cannot place units on planets whose probe cards dont bear the imperial symbol, he cant just choose any system on the board.

the rebels choose their base location from the remaining probe cards.

its important for the empire to spread out his units to be close to all systems on the board as he doesnt know where the rebel base will be, if he concentrates too much in part of the board, he might be very far away from the base and have difficulty reaching it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunstkreis wrote:

5. TACTIC-Cards: e.g. I have a leader involved in a certain combat which provides me 3 tactic-cards for space-battle. I drew that cards and roll the die. If the die rolled would provide me an extra-card: may I use exactly those extra-produced (not the ones of the start) in the same turn or do I have to wait for the next combat round?

5) the battle process indicates that in the phase where the active player can perform actions, he can perform any action in any order.
you could for example spend a crossed saber to draw a tactic card, play that tactic card to reroll (assuming thats the card you drew) a remaining die, then use the rolled crossed saber on that die to draw a new tactic card or use it to play a tactic card still in your hand that requires spending a crossed saber result.

the only limitation is that you can only play damage-blocking tactic cards in the phase that allows blocking damage, and non-damage blocking cards in the action phase. if you draw the card after the phase has passed, you must wait till the next combat round to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
When the starting units are deployed, the Empire will deploy first, then the Rebels. And yes, Rebels may deploy at the Rebel Base, Rebel loyal, or neutral system (see the 'play by forum' games here on BGG for examples of that).

Mind you: any deployment after the starting deployment, then it's the rebels who deploy first and then the empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Menghini wrote:
When the starting units are deployed, ... Rebels may deploy at the Rebel Base, Rebel loyal, or neutral system.

Just to be clear, at the start of the game, the rebels can deploy into only one system other than the "rebel base" space. (And if they deploy into one neutral or rebel-loyal space, the "rebel base" space is optional.)
Learn to Play: Advanced Rules wrote:
The Rebel player ... units can be placed in the "Rebel Base" space of the game board and/or in any one Rebel or neutral system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunstkreis wrote:

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but a captured leader can't use his or her action card - so capture and it becomes unusable. Otherwise, no, I don't believe there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunstkreis wrote:

3. No, but there are ways to control the situation once you know what's on the cards. Try to keep fighters away from the Death Star, PARTICULARLY if Luke or Wedge are in play. The rescue missions are usually (all?) Recon, so recruiting Boba Fett and continually capturing can keep Leia and Ben busy. Lando can send your ground forces off on a wild goose chase - so use a pincer movement for your approach on the base. Don't try to capture Ben. Make sure the Rebel Base has a mix of units in case that surprise ground assault (Veers?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
Dunstkreis wrote:

3. No, but there are ways to control the situation once you know what's on the cards. Try to keep fighters away from the Death Star, PARTICULARLY if Luke or Wedge are in play. The rescue missions are usually (all?) Recon, so recruiting Boba Fett and continually capturing can keep Leia and Ben busy. Lando can send your ground forces off on a wild goose chase - so use a pincer movement for your approach on the base. Don't try to capture Ben. Make sure the Rebel Base has a mix of units in case that surprise ground assault (Veers?).

Intel, not Recon, but yes. All of them (though there is the Millennium Falcon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK A
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks so far for your answers. We played two more games and things seem go get more and more clear.

Just two more things, which appeared:

If I use an Action-card to get a leader of the rebels being placed in a certain region to make a certain effect: is the empires-player allowed to oppose that? I guess no, as action-cards dont require any symbols to roll. Correct? Furthermore: if by an action-card a battle takes place in which the certain leader is put again on a planet, is the opponents player allowed as well to use an own leader from the command-centre for supporting his troops to gain tactic-cards?

Second: when the rebel base was found and it came to a battle: groundbattle was won by rebels, no empire troops remaining. space battle: empire won, no rebellion ships remaining. Next turn rebels want to move their base by the mission-card: the chosen planet of the next base has NO troops on it, correct?
But what, if the rebel players wants to move his base and the rebel base was not detected yet? Can he just leave all the troops on the field "rebel base" and then assume they are then on the next planet?

*edit* third question: when loosing a combat and there are space and ground units remaining, am I allowed to retreat both of them, even if there are enemy ships in the space? Or do I have to leave the ground troops behind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing you oppose is missions. Action cards are not Missions. In combat, you can only add a leader if you don't already have a leader with tactics values in the system. Most leaders that have Action cards that cause combat to happen will have tactics values, so you probably won't be able to add another. The opponent will have the chance if they don't have a tactics leader already as it is a combat.

When moving the base, the units are ejected into the old system as part of the move. Take a look at the instructions in the Rebel Base section of the RRG for more info.

Yes, you can retreat from a combat theater even if you won in that theater. Check the Retreat rules in the Combat section of the RRG as it covers this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.