BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need Something Less Boring Than Risk! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all I need a compromise to play with a friend of mine. He really likes Risk but I find it bland. He likes games that are deep on strategy and light on rules and trash. I guess you could say he enjoys more open strategy, puzzley type gaming, with little hidden information... Where as I'm quite happy playing a game dripping with theme and a hand full of sneaky cards and the like. He enjoys Cyclades but always loses because he focuses too much on building up an army and neglects the rest of the game. Essentially he tries to play Cyclades like it's Risk.

So what I'm looking for is a game that we can both play, preferably plays both 2p and up to 4 or 5 or 6, but none of that is essential, we could play 4p or 2p or 6p, whatever is needed really.

It's gotta have fairly deep strategy, with fairly light rules, not too much luck, not too much hidden information, unless the hidden info is something fairly benign like your score total in Tigris and Euphrates etc It's gotta involve plenty of warfare... but it's gotta be attractive and have some theme to keep me interested, I don't wanna play chess. He really likes Catan actually... but I'm after something with more warfare.

Oh and Small World didn't seem to work. The mechanics of using the tiles to attack stuff didn't seem to sit well with him and that you end up moving your whole force around the map rather than having a stronghold to attack from. Chaos In The Old World was too messy and Ameritrashy for him. Tigris and Euphrates is probably too abstract. I'm itching to buy Mare Nostrum: Empires, perhaps that would fit the bill but I suspect it might be too rulesy?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Conquest if the Empire to be a very nice step up from Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest 1775: Rebellion or 1812: The Invasion of Canada. They are both light on rules but have a good amount of theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wallenstein (second edition) Could be a good one. I can't say enough good about it and if someone already likes Risk then it's a no brainer in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olympos is like a gamers Smallworld.

Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game is like Risk but much better.

Kemet ?

Blood Rage?

I really like Mythotopia but it really needs some house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanguy Serra
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Barony a lot - no hidden information, clear territory/area control satisfaction with terrain benefits, thrill of building out cities and farms around cities and it plays in 45mins-1hour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor, if that is a cooption?

Arcadia Quest?

Mission: Red Planet (second edition) is rather close to Risk maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spheres of Influence: Struggle for Global Supremacy is exactly what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1775 and 1812 seem good but a little bland for my tastes I'm afraid. Wallenstein could be good, people say it's really good. Conquest of the Empire and Barony seem to have very mixed reviews. Olympos maybe, Kemet maybe, Blood Rage maybe, I actually have Conquest of Nerath, maybe we should just try that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"War of 1812" by Columbia Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you might enjoy Clash of Cultures for the same reason I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just noticed your last post about other user ratings and reactions. Overall BBG very biased rating-wise toward new games and euro's. Might want to re-post in wargame section. Personally I like many Columbia Games for introductory wargames because they still appeal to veteran players too.

Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donlyn wrote:

Just noticed your last post about other user ratings and reactions. Overall BBG very biased rating-wise toward new games and euro's. Might want to re-post in wargame section. Personally I like many Columbia Games for introductory wargames because they still appeal to veteran players too.

Don

Hi Don, not really about BGG ratings, more about my GeekBuddies analysis and youtube reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was Nexus Ops. It gives you combat and resource gathering and victory point earning. But it may be too Ameritrash for your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of that Spheres of Influence: Struggle for Global Supremacy especially as it plays up to 8. But no-one is selling in uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythotopia -- a multiplayer deck-building game with numerous strategies. Combat is resolved without dice. Players determine what military and economic advantages they will pursue in support of their strategies. No two games are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BATTALIA: The Creation I recently ordered this but not played it yet, Undead Viking referred to it as the game Mythotopia should have been.

Spheres looks kinda cool. I'd probably go for Cry Havoc over Nexus Ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your friend needs to branch out more if everything he plays needs to be related to risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Nexus Ops, Fortress America, Ikusa in increasing rules-meaty order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it "deep strategy", but Nexus Ops is an excellent step up from Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Ross
Canada
Madoc
Ontario
flag msg tools
Bring Back Hambone
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get greasy with some Risk 2210 A.D. It's one of the more palatable versions, and with the turn system it won't last forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I would suggest Axis and Allies or Samurai Swords (formerly known as Shogun). The latter is probably the better as its closest to risk. On the former I actually think the game has gone down-hill in general from the second edition with a tendency to add more units and elements without actually fixing the basic issues - maybe ask on the specific forums to gather opinions on which version would be best for you.

My assumption is you are playing two player. If you have more players you could consider Risk: Legacy. Note, I do not personally rate any of these games particularly highly (though A&A and especially Samurai Swords are not bad games by any standard) but they seem to fit the niche you are looking for. Most other games mentioned so far seem quite a long way from the things you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmb
Forbidden Stars.

Rules look worse than they are. Great great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
How about Risk Legacy? It's a good step away from what he knows while being grounded in the same gameplay. It might also make him interested in the additional elements, opening you up to diversifying based on what you learn.

I love these kinds of people; it's a game of itself working out the specifics of what they like and trying to find matching titles they might enjoy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Antike II, or for two players, Antike Duellum. Antike II is very good around 4 or 5 players. The rules are easy to pick up, and most turns move along quickly. Winning is a race to a certain number of accomplishments, so the game does not go on forever like Risk. It also includes a bit of resource management and different strategic options, which is why I think it makes a great upgrade from Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.