Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mister Fixer Overdrive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most cards are really easy to understand, but I have to say I'm not sure of the intent of this one.

The way it's written seems to imply that it allows me to use the basic power twice this turn, but that I still need to have a card in play that allows me to play 2 powers per turn. Meaning the only thing that one-shot card does is remove the "each power can only be used once per turn" rule.

Now, for some reason, I think the intent is that you're allowed to use your basic power twice at the cost of a single power action. I know I shouldn't try to read more than what's written on the card, and that's why I'm not sure how to play it.

Any help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are correct on the intent. You can use the innate power twice on the current turn, when you use it as your power for the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it is even better (from looking at the FAQ): You get to use the Strike power twice on the turn that the card comes into play, even if it is not on your turn. Also, if you use another power first (as the power on your turn), you can STILL then use the Strike power twice after that on the same turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So whether you are playing Mr Fixer or his variant when that card is played you can use his base power twice that turn even if it is played outside of Fixer's normal turn. As the poster above said if this was your turn and you had something else giving you a power like Cosmic Weapon or Rod of Anubis you can use that power first then proceed to use the Strike power two times.
Edit: If you used Strike as your first power use on your turn then your only option is to use Strike again even if you have other powers available to Mr Fixer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizerak wrote:
Actually, it is even better (from looking at the FAQ): You get to use the Strike power twice on the turn that the card comes into play, even if it is not on your turn. Also, if you use another power first (as the power on your turn), you can STILL then use the Strike power twice after that on the same turn!

So using Stike twice doesn't count as using a power, it's merely the effect of the one-shot? That's pretty good!
Would that still count as using the Strike power for your turn though? Without any other cards in play, could you use Strike three times in your own turn?

Unrelated, can't find the FAQ anywhere, don't see it on the download page of Sentinelsofthemultiversin.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to the already correct information, it is not a "single power action" as you describe it, it is two "power actions", so if something reacted to a power use (e.g. Spite's PL626 Compound XI drug) it would react twice.

RemiBureau wrote:
So using Stike twice doesn't count as using a power, it's merely the effect of the one-shot? That's pretty good!

No. The exact opposite. It does count as using a power. The One-Shot says you can use it twice, so you can use it twice. It does not say you can't use other powers before using your base power twice, so it gets around the restriction of only one power per turn. If you use Strike as your first power use then it counts as your power use for the turn, Overdrive would then allow you to use the power again. Your interpretation would need it to say "Strike does not count as your power use this turn. You may use Strike twice this turn."
EDIT again: If you were somehow able to play two copies of Overdrive during a turn you would still only be able to use Overdrive twice, because that is what the card says you can do, it does not say you can use it twice for each card played.

RemiBureau wrote:
Unrelated, can't find the FAQ anywhere, don't see it on the download page of Sentinelsofthemultiversin.com

The now-not-being-updated-anymore FAQ is hosted on Spiff's site http://www.spiffworld.com/sotm/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link. Really confused now...

So it DOES require being able to use 2 powers in your turn? The only thing it does is remove the "each power can only be used once per turn" rule for Strike?

How could you use Overdrive during someone else's turn then? Or I should ask, what would it do if you used it on someone else's turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
So it DOES require being able to use 2 powers in your turn? The only thing it does is remove the "each power can only be used once per turn" rule for Strike?
No. It allows you to use Strike twice on this turn. This overrides other restrictions as necessary so that you can do that. It overrides (a) the restriction against the same power more than once (b) the restriction that you can only use one power a turn and even (c) the restriction that you can't use powers on other people's turns. You get to use Strike twice, period.

In many games like this, specific rules (on a particular card) override the general rules (no multiple power uses).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:

How could you use Overdrive during someone else's turn then? Or I should ask, what would it do if you used it on someone else's turn?

The FAQ that Spiff created answers that. If you play it on someone else's turn, you can immediately do the Strike power twice. If you play it on YOUR turn, and Strike is the first power you use, you may use it twice (not three times). If you use another power first on your turn, you may still use Strike twice on your turn. Not what I would have thought, but that is what it says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
RemiBureau wrote:

Basically your confusion comes from understanding the difference between "You may use an additional power this turn" vs "You may use a *specific* power" or in the case of Overdrive "You may use Mr. Fixer's "Strike" power twice this turn."

If you are simply instructed to use an additional power (Ra's Flame Spike, Fanatic's Smite the Transgressor ect) this triggers the "Powers cannot be used twice in a turn" clause. However if you are given a direct command to use a specific power this does break the "Powers cannot be used twice in a turn" clause and the same power can be used again such as Overdrive or Expatriette's "Pride".

Overdrive gives a direct command that a specific power can be used and not only that it says it can be used twice but here's the confusing bit. It never says that the number of powers you can use is increased or that you have an "additional power." You are effectively being given "additional powers" but these come from the specific interaction of how the card is worded.

So say you play Overdrive during your turn and you come to your power phase. You have one power to use (the one you always get when it's your power phase) so you decide to use your Strike power. Once you use it you are out of powers since nothing has granted you an "additional power" HOWEVER you still have the lingering effect that "You may use Mr. Fixer's "Strike" power twice this turn." Since you have only used Mr. Fixer's "Strike" power once this turn and you have a direct command that you may use it again, you get to use it again.

Now lets say you play Overdrive during your turn and due to some other game effect Mr Fixer has an another power, say the Rod of Anubis is in play on him. Again when you go to your power phase you have one power to use (the same one you always get when it's your power phase) so you decide to use the Rod of Anubis. Yet again once you use it you are out of powers since nothing has granted you an "additional power" HOWEVER you still have the lingering effect that "You may use Mr. Fixer's "Strike" power twice this turn." Even better you have used Mr. Fixer's Strike power zero times. Since you have a direct command that you may use it twice this turn, you get to use it and then use it once more totaling 3 power used although strike was only used twice (Just as Overdrive allows).

When cards like Flame Spike or Smite the Transgressor are used out of turn they allow the user to use their power immediately. Overdrive does so too however because Overdrive instructs you to use Strike twice, playing it lets you use the strike power 2 times even if it is not your turn. Playing 2 copies of Overdrive on someone else's turn yields no additional effects since on the second Overdrive play you would have already used the strike power twice.

Basically you can think of Overdrive as a check: "If uses of strike this turn <2 Strike may be used" rather than say a numerical power increase "Powers can use +1."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thanks to everyone who chimed in on this. So if I finally understand, Overdrive allows me to use Strike twice without spending any "power action", so while I couldn't use Strike three times (twice for Overdrive + once for normal power) because Overdrive allows me to use it only twice, I could, if I played Overdrive, use Strike twice and any other Power available to me once in my turn?

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
Overdrive allows me to use Strike twice without spending any "power action"

No! It still uses a "power action". What it does let you do is use that "power action" even if you have used one already this turn.

RemiBureau wrote:
because Overdrive allows me to use it only twice, I could, if I played Overdrive, use Strike twice and any other Power available to me once in my turn?

Thanks again

Yes but you can only use the other power before using Overdrive to trigger strike twice.

As others have stated you are always limited to using one power unless a card somehow overrides that.

If you play Overdrive first, you have used a power this turn and can't use any more.

If you play a different power first, you have used a power this turn and can't use any more except Overdrive lets you play Strike twice regardless of any other limits, so it could be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, gotcha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understanding how Overdrive works is part of a ritual that turns Mr Fixer from nobody ("how do you play this guy? He's useless!) into an absolutely amazing team member ("OMG he just wiped, like, twenty aliens in a single turn!").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jettosan wrote:
Understanding how Overdrive works is part of a ritual that turns Mr Fixer from nobody ("how do you play this guy? He's useless!) into an absolutely amazing team member ("OMG he just wiped, like, twenty aliens in a single turn!").

I know - he can be a real heavy duty hitter in the right circumstances.

My favorite game with him was against Kismet in the Final Wasteland - he was able to snag both copies of 'Two Left Feet' - so when he played a card, he had to damage himself for 1 twice - he had the Jack Handle and +1 from a style in play, so the damage became 1+1 to all non-hero targets, and every time he played a card, he hit all non-hero targets twice for 2 damage each - killing environment targets left and right, and still hitting Kismet, then he would do Strike and hit all non-hero targets for 2 again. Halfway through the game I actually got Harmony out, and he became a real killing machine - one time between Fixer and Ra, we flipped the Talisman 3 times (we actually had to do less damage to avoid flipping it 4 times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Jettosan wrote:

My issue with Mr fixer is and always has been the amount of untapped potential he has... which is completely unattainable by him on his own. Sadly without assistance Overdrive and Charge are basically the same card since on his own Mr Fixer has no means to play the card outside his normal turn nor gain additional powers.

With the proper assistance I've seen him spread his wings and soar above and beyond to incredible heights but without the proper support I find him stuck on the ground as a rather lame duck on his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:

Sadly without assistance Overdrive and Charge are basically the same card since on his own Mr Fixer has no means to play the card outside his normal turn nor gain additional powers.

Overdrive is played from the trash if you play Salvage Yard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
arenson9 wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

Sadly without assistance Overdrive and Charge are basically the same card since on his own Mr Fixer has no means to play the card outside his normal turn nor gain additional powers.

Right but on his own MF can only play Salvage Yard during his own turn as his normal play which just gets right back to the same problem that on his own he cannot play it out of turn or when he has a different power that he can use which would allow overdrive to generate two "additional" power uses instead of just 1 unless there is some outside effect giving him assistance.

I never said that Overdrive and Charge were the same card, just that their effects are almost the same in most situations because functionally Overdrive generates 1 additional (pre-modifier) strength 1 attack (or strength 3 if using Dark watch) whereas Charge generates 1 additional (pre-modifier) strength 2 attack.

Overdrive really shines when played out of turn or when Mr Fixer is given a power from elsewhere as then Overdrive generates 2 additional attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do alright with Mr Fixer without additional support. However, just like any other hero in the game he can shine even more when given extra support to play extra cards or get extra powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
arenson9 wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

Right but on his own MF can only play Salvage Yard during his own turn as his normal play which just gets right back to the same problem that on his own he cannot play it out of turn or when he has a different power that he can use which would allow overdrive to generate two "additional" power uses instead of just 1 unless there is some outside effect giving him assistance.

I never said that Overdrive and Charge were the same card, just that their effects are almost the same in most situations because functionally Overdrive generates 1 additional (pre-modifier) strength 1 attack (or strength 3 if using Dark watch) whereas Charge generates 1 additional (pre-modifier) strength 2 attack.

Overdrive really shines when played out of turn or when Mr Fixer is given a power from elsewhere as then Overdrive generates 2 additional attacks.

Good point. Sorry I didn't read closely enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Fortunately Mr. Fixer never fights by himself.

I use all of his tools and styles, he always brings something great to the team.

I play a lot of 3 hero games, and I think that's where he shines most, because -1 damage dealt, redirection capped at 2, Tire Iron's destruction are all more important.

He has a ton of heroes that he mesh's really well with, like Expat and Bunker, who can really exploit Salvage Yard and both can bounce extra points of damage off of Mantis to hit one target twice.

Heroes he does really well with:

AZ: returning equipment, redirecting thermal shockwave damage.

Bunker: Omni-Cannon and Gatling gun love when Fixer can return discarded equipment to Bunker's hand through Turret Mode. Grenade+Mantis

Unity: Returning Pylons to her hand is just crazy good. Hasty Augmentation on Fixer is wicked.

Expat: Assault Rifle+Mantis, but the best is speed loading and Salvage Yard, shoot all your ammo, don't put any on top, get them all back in hand.

Sky-Scraper: This combo is insane. Micro Assembler is fantastic (esp. with Overdrive) and returning all her links with Salvage Yard is great. Even better is Jackhandle + Catch a Ride or Compulsion Canister, or even Jackhandle, Tiger and Cortex Hyperstimulator. (or Crowbars and mantis with the same) her damage to heroes being redirected is also great.

Guise: The obvious borrowing of Jachhandle or copying a style, but my favorite is Lemme See That on ToolBox. Fixer gets the draw, then Guise gets to take it back into his hand and play it himself. (because it is still his when it returns to the hand) and even more fun is Grease Gun, because if Guise is before Fixer's turn you can borrow it and it won't be destroyed at the start of Fixer's turn, so you get another round of it.
If you have a couple "Lemme see That"s and some ongoing destruction Before Guise's turn you can keep it out for quite a while by destroying
Lemme See That and sending the card back to Fixer so it dodges destruction at the start of Guise's turn as well, then Guise borrows it again.

Sentinels: Black Out used to attack Fixer is the easiest way to create a headache of massive damage in the game.

Fixer isn't strong by himself. Fortunately the game never really sends him out by himself.
And no one creates crazy combos like Mr. Fixer. That's his job, and even without allies that can gain a lot of advantage from him he still is useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantaskippy wrote:
Fortunately Mr. Fixer never fights by himself.
*snip*
Heroes he does really well with:

AZ: returning equipment, redirecting thermal shockwave damage.
*snip*

Fixer isn't strong by himself. Fortunately the game never really sends him out by himself.
And no one creates crazy combos like Mr. Fixer. That's his job, and even without allies that can gain a lot of advantage from him he still is useful.

I love stuff like this. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

I just wanted to add, with AZ, fixer also has 'Grease Monkey Fist' which lets you choose Fixer's damage type. Paired with something like 'Dual Crowbars' you can hit the bad guy then hit AZ with cold damage to heal him or hit AZ first with fire damage (letting AZ attack something) then do an increased attack on a bad guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Phantaskippy wrote:

I couldn't agree more and you've highlighted several of my favorite Mr Fixer Team-Ups. Some of the others to add are:

Legacy: Mr Fixer on his own has this annoying catch-22 where cards like Riveting Crane want Mr Fixer to have a high attack to be useful but don't allow mr fixer to get his attack high enough to use it. Getting damage pumped by legacy helps out a lot. Plus Dual Crowbars gets to take advatange of the buffs twice over.

Captain Cosmic: This one is obvious. Give Mr Fixer an additional power that is a high damage attack? Everything works better especially overdrive.

Argent Adept: This one is obvious too. He can help Mr Fixer get set up and then help Mr Fixer Play Overdrive out of turn. A single use of Bloody Knuckles? Meh. 3 uses? Now we're getting somewhere.

Nightmist, Unity, Sky Scrapper and even Bunker make the best use of Salvage yard as these 3 throw the most equipment into their discard/destroy their equipment, Unity and Nightmist especially.

I would have to say that Sky Scrapper is the most insane matchup (Note: I play digital so I only have up to the Guise expansion) for the exact reason you mentioned. Not only do they have the insane Jack Handle - Compultion Canister Combo (4~8 irreducable damage to all non-hero targets every turn) but Sky Scraper can help Fixer get set up, not something many other heroes can do and on top of that if you are on the Dark Watch side Sky Scraper has a plethora of disposable cards to feed Fixer. As an added bonus Grease Gun Doesn't stop Fixer from dealing damage so you can play Grease Gun and still use the Jack Handle - Compultion Canister Combo (very effective vs Matriarch and/or Chairman).

But this doesn't change my feelings that Mr Fixer is (slightly) underpowered on his own as he is. As you said he "isn't strong by himself" but "he still is useful," just not quite as useful as I think he should be. I'm not saying that he has to be a perfect god but I just don't feel his cards mesh just as they should which is especially bad when Mr Fixer is not all that great at getting himself set up (lacks extra plays and good tutoring for equipment/harmony).

You won't always have a party that can cover for his short comings and no hero should be reliant on having the right party to be really effective. Riviting Crane, Tiger Claw, Hoist chain and Tire Iron are generally way to situational and outclassed by his other tools/styles if given the choice. I've certainly played Riveting Crane and Tire Iron, as Dark watch Fodder more often than playing it cause I thought that it was the right style/tool for the given situation. Charge, Overdrive and Bloody Knuckles are generally redundant. Salvage Yard is only regularly useful for recovering Grease Guns (and maybe Tool Kits of you are on Dark Watch) as Mr Fixer doesn't trash or discard tools regularly otherwise. Even on Dark Watch you don't want to trash and recover a tool in most situations.

I'm actually torn between whether I think Dark watch or regular Fixer is stronger. Regular can bring more consistent damage right from the start especially if he starts with Dual Crowbars. Dark Watch, on the other hand, Can sit back a few turns building up and letting other heroes build up some disposable cards and then get to work a fixin problems which his higher damage potential.

So yes, I'm not saying that he isn't useful at all solo. Just that he is below what I'd expect from an average solo hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:

Argent Adept: This one is obvious too. He can help Mr Fixer get set up and then help Mr Fixer Play Overdrive out of turn. A single use of Bloody Knuckles? Meh. 3 uses? Now we're getting somewhere.

Argent Adept also has the decency to hit Bloody Knuckles with his Seraband Of Destruction before the baddies have a chance to take advantage of it. And with a nice Verbal Sonata, get another 3x uses out of it, with no extra vulnerability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

Argent Adept also has the decency to hit Bloody Knuckles with his Seraband Of Destruction before the baddies have a chance to take advantage of it. And with a nice Verbal Sonata, get another 3x uses out of it, with no extra vulnerability.

True true, and this is also where the whole Dark Watch vs Regular issue comes into play. Dark watch naturally doesn't need to worry about leaving Bloody Knuckles out and I remember rather vividly a online game with Legacy, DW Fixer and AA (and 2 other heroes, forget who, I was AA) vs the Ennead. Fixer got Jack Handle out and went to work.

However there was one crazy turn where he played Bloody Knuckles and did his bitter strike. We coordinated so that he would not destroy the Bloody Knuckles and when it was AA's (my) turn I had him play an Overdrive to take advantage of the knuckles 2 times over (About 80 damage over both our turns). The Fixer player stated that he had never dealt so much damage in one round before.

Fixer actually has 4 copies of Bloody Knuckles which I know cause I did some shenanigans with them. Just look here and here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.