7 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Miniatures Transportation Cases (DIY) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
So, next week I'm heading to Savannah to see an old friend and his family and to show him KD:M; because, honestly, he'd love it just for the minis alone, being a creative designer.

So, I'm all excited and ready to do a modest little bit of showing the game off when I realize that I have a small problem. Namely: the small minis. And the medium minis. And the large - sometimes gigantic - minis.

There is simply no real safe way to transport them. Oh, some could fit into the empty spaces of the minercreations insert that I fancied up, but then there are minis in a large space bouncing off hard wood. That seems like disaster. I went out looking for the green soft foam I've seen used in mini storage for games like Warhammer 40K, but, sadly, none of the gamer shops around me get much demand for the stuff, or the sizes they had were simply inadequate for the unusual contours KD:M gives us.

So, in desperation, I went to...WalMart.

I know. The shame still lingers bitterly.

But! I did find some makee-learnee items that (hopefully) will serve quite well, and I'm here today to share.

So: first I noticed and considered just getting big tubs for the models. I did eventually get one (too short by an inch or two unfortunately). There is far too much room, but I figure that I can put in packing peanuts or another filler to keep them from sliding about too much.

This still left all the other, medium sized bosses and all the survivor minis from the core and armor kits. A bit of browsing about and I discovered two plastic cases with snap-lock lids.

Now, I reasoned out that just being in the box was an improvment, but they would really need some padding to be safe from striking the edges. A little more browsing turned up some thin felt strips with adhesive backing, the kind used on the undersides of lamps and tables to keep them from surface scratching. Using those I added pads to the bottom, sides, and roof of the boxes, adding in some packing peanuts from a Slenderman expac box I had hanging about, and viola! Secure storage. For the smaller minis I just cut the strips in half.

It should be noted, though: this method is superior to just carrying the models around in, like, a ziploc bag...but it could be dangerous for the smaller, more slender pieces like sword blades and spear hafts. Additionally, larger pieces from the armor kit will need more space (see pic below) and more padding.

I also pre-positioned every piece to get a mental image of how it fit in the box before I added the felt padding, placing the pads either to wedge the minis down or to intersect the most likely strike points. Also note: some of the more dynamic minis just do not fit; or, if they fit, have fragile pieces intersecting the edges that are impossible to protect.

The whole project took about 45 minutes to an hour (so far, I've more minis and need to get another box and a lot more felt pads), and, while not as pretty as a sculpted purpose-built mini box, it does the job and can be made from easily-sourced materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at camping matress for cheap foam, sometime the have the soft stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
I am considering using mattress foam for the big model box, but discarded the idea for using it on the small models as being a little too thick to sculpt down to a fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Aren't you worried that the padding you've provided isn't enough? I have to admit that even if mine weren't painted, I couldn't subject my minis to hard plastic like that. I'd be devastated if they broke.

I'm in the provess of constructing a mini storage solution for mine. I get the foam on Tuesday and then will post pictures when its done. Mine will not be as portable as yours as I'm using a rather large plastic tub, but I want to protect the paint and am going a little overboard on the protection aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
A little, yes, but it isn't like I plan on throwing these things around. The more sturdy minis will be protected well enough by the pads, and the more fragile ones have bits wedging them secure when placed in correctly.

They should be protected enough to survive a car trip now, unless I hit a big pothole or another car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
I'd buy a large, cheap travel suitcase and put some cardboard at the bottom. Then, I'd sticky tac/prestick the larger miniatures' bases to the cardboard (or use double sided tape, so they don't move around). Then, I'd line the case with foam and separate the minis with the foam. Finally, I'd get loads of tiny Styrofoam balls and fills the case with it and keep the case flat so the minis stay upright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Picouet
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll edit with pictures when I get home, but I was able to find a plastic tub to contain all the basic core game miniatures with packing material. Brought them home for christmas (Airplane, shoved in luggage) and everything is fully intact!

Obviously it would start taking up a lot of room the more miniatures you want to bring along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.