Subject: Shoot the Elf from GLAMOURANTHA !!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Among all the minis of Gods War, the elf is terrible. Not that the mini is ugly, but simply that doesn't look like at all the Aldryami that are supposed to be some living plants...
The current mini is just the main caricature that we can find in almost every game with women elf warrior:

just a Tolkienesque-elf with a bow with a sexy habit. If the game was Descent, no issue but this is Glorantha NOT GLAMOURANTHA !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
It's NOT a particularly successful sculpt, indeed. It looks like it's from a completely different game. And the preview image is strangely smudgy low-res one.

Edit: Added an important NOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, everybody's a critic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jack
Australia
flag msg tools
Hah, if thats all they can find to complain about then you are doing very well indeed.

Personally I have a RQ/Glorantha fan since 2nd Ed came out back in the day, so I have been looking forward to this for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Man, everybody's a critic.

What is BGG, if not a place for complaining about sculpts.

Besides, if you have troubles with these complaints, wait until someone realizes you've stuck a character that doesn't follow gender-binary under the label 'Monster'. If this was any less of an esoteric niche product, it would come back to haunts quite quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the elf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gauthier D.
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
I think what made Cthulhu Wars so aesthetically successful is Richard Luong's artworks. It looks to me that the Gods' War lacks unity and coherence in its designs, likely due to the involvement of many different artists with quite different styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kyryahn wrote:
I think what made Cthulhu Wars so aesthetically successful is Richard Luong's artworks. It looks to me that the Gods' War lacks unity and coherence in its designs, likely due to the involvement of many different artists with quite different styles.

NOte that i didn't the Elf was terrible in the absolute. I just say that thematically she was far from Glorantha's one (a kind of humanoid living plant )

And the minis of Gods war are globally great. The quality of the set of minis from OS2 was more random...
And yes, Richard is a amazing artist .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will mention that this is the first pass sculpt for the Elf. Her face came out a little more human than expected so she'll go back for a revision. What's maybe not apparent in the limed views we've shown is that her "hair" is actually flowing vines and leaves and that all of her clothing is made from vegetation, including a long cloak of leaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I know very little about Gloranthan background apart from knowing about the existence of Broo and Ducks...

So, I think the elf looks okay, if a bit generic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
ColHammer wrote:
I know very little about Gloranthan background apart from knowing about the existence of Broo and Ducks...

So, I think the elf looks okay, if a bit generic.

Glorantha elves (or Aldryami, if you want to be nerdy about it) are best understood as living plant creatures. Their general look ought to be less human and more plant-like (depending on the type of elf, the plantness can be tree, grass or even kelp-like).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RogueSwompy wrote:
I will mention that this is the first pass sculpt for the Elf. Her face came out a little more human than expected so she'll go back for a revision. What's maybe not apparent in the limed views we've shown is that her "hair" is actually flowing vines and leaves and that all of her clothing is made from vegetation, including a long cloak of leaves.

Maybe closer photos can help see these nice details
thanks for your reply and your work ! It's no easy to endure critics while your global work is great at the minimum !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a pic of the reverse angle view of the Elf, including a Cthulhu Wars Cultist for scale:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hammatt
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear. Doesn't look anytbing like a plant-person as described by the Guide to Glorantha, instead it's a humanoid wearing some plant stuff - a Tolkien elf. Sorry man, most of the other sculpts are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.