Hide
7 Posts

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » General

Subject: Is it worth getting if you already have original Pandemic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arvid Rundberg
msg tools
Does the game have any new features that the original doesen't have or anything like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you travel through a portal or use a relic you have to roll the insanity die; 2 blank sides, one add 2 cultists side, 2 lose 1 sanity sides & 1 lose 2 sanity sides.

Traveling through the portal of one town to get to another portal of a different token seems new.

Characters level down when insane as of right now I don't believe characters do that in Pandemic,

I think there's enough of a differen between the two games to warrant the purchase of this game, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Theres also the shoggoths. Theyre kind of like a new "infection" that attepts to move to the nearest portal and if it does it brings up the infection rate and summons a Great Old One. They also take three actions do kill and theres only three models. If you cant place a new shoggoth on the board, game over.

Like killerjoe mentioned, you can go insane. But sometimes going insane has its benefits! For example, the occultist character can control the movement of shoggoths with her powers. When shes insane she only has to spend 1 action to move a shoggoth two spaces. Thematically its as if her insanity is fueling her occult powers.

There might be something else I missed, but the shoggoth and insanity mechanics I think are great and make the game feel fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the same game as Pandemic, but it's impossible to not see the similarities between the two. I'd suggest you watch one of the gameplay videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Charbonneau
Canada
Montreal
Qc
flag msg tools
mb
I find it different enough for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Gilliland
Canada
TOronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
i think it's different enough with the insanity mechanic, the portals, shoggoth's, there's a doom track with Great Other Ones, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ragney wrote:
Does the game have any new features that the original doesen't have or anything like that?

IMHO it is to similar to warrant owning both unless...

1) You are a fan of Cthulhu/Mythos theme
2) You are looking for a 'Pandemic lite' type of game

In the absence of the above I would wait to see if any expansions come out which would tip the balance in favour of owning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.