BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Starting a new game troubles. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Pennifold
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi guys!

Started writing a new game and it was going really well, rules and theme flowing nicely. But now I've done a bit of research and seen that there is a very similar game already on the market. I'm not under any illusions that any of the games I write will get published. But is it worth stopping writing this one as. It's really put me off and this was the first game I've started that actually seemed to work! Ha (which I assume is why there is a similar game on the market)

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Houghton
United States
Platteville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
vwoommmmmm
badge
mbmbmbmb
Why not buy/try the game and find out if there are things you think you could do better/different? Worst case is you end up playing a game you know you'll probably like.

Also check out that game's Variants section on the forums. There might be people discussing ways to make the game better.

What game is it? If some of us have played it, we might be able to say more I imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pennifold
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The game is called battlecon, it's a game based on fighting games which I'm keen on. I think I will buy it if I can get a cheap copy. Like you said I'm sure I'll like it! It's just killed my motivation to keep plugging away at my current game as I'm sure it'll be better than my attempts! Ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the grand scheme of things, there are really few original ideas, the innovation is in how tbey're combined or mashed up. E.g. I just got a used copy of Star Wars: Imperial Assault and I'm seeing it combines aspects of typical skirmish games (action points, move/attack/defend stats, minis) with aspects of CCGs (buy that ally pack not only for the unit but also for these cool powerup cards any unit can use) with aspects of RPGs (campaigns, persistent card decks, character progression, etc.)

So see if that other game is 100% what you were thinking, +1 on research/buy.

For me I wanted a sci-fi dudes on a map game with planetside and space combat, wasn't finding one that scratched the itch, thought I had some original ideas for a homebrew, found out Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game already implemented most of those ideas almost 30 years ago, so used that as a case study. I ended up mashing up some concepts from that title with features I liked from several other games, and the resulting game is different.

So don't be discouraged...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pennifold
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Okay cool that's very helpful information, thanks.

I'll buy the game then for sure so I can have a look and play and see if it's what I expected. And in the meantime I'll continue to work on my own game.

I enjoy the creating process enough anyway regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your game willbe similar to a number of games on the market. Unless you're creating a brand new core mechanic whole-cloth it'll be like something else. And, even if you are creating the mechanic, it may have already been done.

Do not be discouraged by that fact. It's a universal truth.

Do go and check out those other games, though. They have done things better than you have and you should learn from them. They have also done things wrong and focusing on those corrections is a good idea.

Then, when all that's done, only go to market if you can articulate in two short sentences why your game deserves money who already has those other titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
to1v1 wrote:
Started writing a new game and it was going really well, rules and theme flowing nicely. But now I've done a bit of research and seen that there is a very similar game already on the market. I'm not under any illusions that any of the games I write will get published. But is it worth stopping writing this one as. It's really put me off and this was the first game I've started that actually seemed to work! Ha (which I assume is why there is a similar game on the market)

If the aim of making your game is to play a game like that, and you find that there is already something out there that does what you wanted to do, then stop and buy that game.

If your aim is to go through the process of making a game, learn some new skills, and hopefully end up with something that you made that you can be proud of, then push on and make your game.

As has been said, there is nothing new out there, but I'm sure that if you worked through the process and completed your game there would be at least something that makes it different from others. And then you will have a load more experience and will be able to make even better games in future. Maybe you will get one of your games published one day, but you won't if you never complete any!

Good luck, and enjoy the journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pennifold
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I love this website.

Thank you all so much for replying! I'm definitely going to stick at it now. Like you guys have said hopefully I'll have something at least a little unique.

My aims are a little blurred but at the end of the day I actually think it's the process of writing the games that motivates me. So I'm going to stick at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.