Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading some reviews, it seems this game fell a little short.

Is there a game out there similar to this one (solitaire, WW2 naval theater) that does what this tries to do but better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Empire of the Sun though I think it's very complex and I still have to play my first time. But if you get to learn it I think it will be a very satisfying experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory in the Pacific
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisback79 wrote:
I'd recommend Empire of the Sun though I think it's very complex and I still have to play my first time. But if you get to learn it I think it will be a very satisfying experience.

As a 2-player game, yes, but almost definitely not as a solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch Stuka Joe and Ricky Royal's play through of Nimitz if you haven't before ruling Nimitz out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching the videos, the game still looks interesting to me, however, the videos seemed to focus more on gameplay and did not seem to critique the game either way.

I guess I would still like to hear more feedback about this game before getting it.

The suggestions provided were both technically 2 player games, however, and I really dont want to play 2 sides if I can avoid it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with another game that will meet your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:

A good choice, with the caveat that it's a 2-player game. If the O.P. is OK with playing both sides in turn (not everyone is) it will serve the purpose well.

(oops - wrote that before reading the subsequent posts...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokyo Express and Carrier come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Derderian
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
This is the best there is at what it does. I have waited 35 years for a solo WW2 Pacific game and this is the best we have got. Is it perfect...no. Is it good and fun...yes.

Do I like it...yes. It is not complicated and is very straightforward to play. The game works well. A lot of the other games are much more complicated and don't work solitaire well.

This game has surprises in it as you never know what the Japanese are going to do...which is what makes the game work well.

Is it historical? Yes and no...it can be but every game is different. The real war could have been different....it was a fluke that the carriers at Midway were hit at the perfect time...luck? If we did not intercept there messages and decoded their messages, the war in the pacific in 1942 would have been very different...seconds matter in war and this game gives you randomness that you can not control.

Play it for what it is...not for what you wish it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out the company website - www.dvg.com - they have the rulebook for FCN posted there if you want to read up.

Beyond the gameplay, what sort of factors are you looking for in a critique? Do you have any specific questions from the reviews & gameplay write-ups / videos you've already read/watched? Ex. randomness, player decisions, complexity, historicity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the feedback about the rulebook concerns me. Have yet to read it myself, however.

I guess just the 7/10 and the SingleHanded review video along with the comments below were also disconcerting to me.

Generally, if a game is good, there usually isn't much negative feedback to be found, at least when it comes to review videos.

The game definitely still interests me. Maybe I just need to focus on the comments that are positive more.

That said, I just looked up Field Commander Napoleon, and that games looks super cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
Honestly, the feedback about the rulebook concerns me. Have yet to read it myself, however.

If you’ve never tried to learn a game via a DVG rulebook, you will most likely encounter some difficulty learning this game and you’ll need to lean on video walkthroughs, FAQs, and posts on BGG. I have a number of DVG titles as well as considerable knowledge of WW2 Pacific to provide context when I tackled the rules. Even then, there were probably 2 or 3 sections that required “outside intervention” for me to understand. But with those resources available, I think will have most of it understood by the 2nd or 3rd play through.

bassman211 wrote:
Generally, if a game is good, there usually isn't much negative feedback to be found, at least when it comes to review videos.

In my opinion, some of it is fair, some of it isn’t… an important consideration here is that I think community expectations were pretty high for this game. But I don’t think it is possible for a non-computer, $100 or less, theater commander perspective, board game to achieve EVERYTHING the folks wanted. Pure solitaire… grognard-style hex-and-counter action… Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima campaign progression… evolving technology… radical change in skill levels on both sides as the war progresses… individual squadron / ship / infantry formation representation… economics for unit building & refit… just to name a few features that I wanted and that others appeared to want as well – I just don’t think any one game could do all that for the medium and the price point. But I do think this game met many of those requirements and did so moderate to very well. And I’ve had fun playing it to varying levels of post-game satisfaction. It’s been put away and taken back out about 4 times for a total of 8 or so complete plays since it arrived post-Kickstarter.

Edit - one more item... I can play through a campaign over the course of 3-4 evenings. For me, playing something of this scope in that relatively small time frame (10 or less hours, comfortable with the rules) forgives many other flaws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.