Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with both the mini-expansion and German expansion yesterday.

With the German expansion, the Headhunter became too annoying to deal with. Too many Engineers to choose from in a 2 player game. (The headhunter lets you gain an Engineer from the ones not in the game, but not a duplicate number of an existing engineer).

I'm thinking of doing to it what was done to Black Market in Dominion, and only make it a subset of Engineers to choose from, say 6. What do people think of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
We played with both the mini-expansion and German expansion yesterday.

With the German expansion, the Headhunter became too annoying to deal with. Too many Engineers to choose from in a 2 player game. (The headhunter lets you gain an Engineer from the ones not in the game, but not a duplicate number of an existing engineer).

I'm thinking of doing to it what was done to Black Market in Dominion, and only make it a subset of Engineers to choose from, say 6. What do people think of this?
Hey Mike,

I've been always playing with both expansions since I last acquired the mini-expansion; I've got 19 games with both of them, albeit only 3 of them are actually multiplayer, the rest are solo games. For what is worth, in two of these multiplayer games I got the headhunter indeed and in the other one I got the industrial boom over the headhunter.

Yes, the headhunter is strong, there's no argue about that. So is the industrial boom. So is the freight car. So is the 2-Year Plan with boilerman -- albeit the community is still divided over this. With just the base game there will definitely be one of the engineer powerhouses out of the game: the jack of all trades (B-8, copy a single-worker action), the industrial freak (B-9, two industry), the elder sister of E-1 (B-11, one black and one wild), or even the loco-lover (B-12, gain loco/factory) if everyone else is in the game. And all these powerhouses have unique numbers. Nevertheless, none of these engineers will break the game for you if you are not pursuing a specific strategy, except for B-8 maybe.

The GRR adds 5 engineers, yes, but out of them only the engineer duo B#-10 is the one I have ever picked from the expansion with the headhunter. And for the engineering duo to be strong you should have good, upgraded factories; a factory #3 with a boilerman is a killer combo and the #9 with a boilerman can net you huge points, check them out. The other strong engineer is B-0, the coal miner, but I never recall picking him with the headhunter. Even with the GRR engineers, I usually find myself getting B-8 or B-9 from the box, especially when going industry-heavy, or B-11 if I am pursuing a track strategy. But then again, when going track-heavy, I might prefer the freight car.

Headhunter may not always be the strongest ME bonus. Maybe the B-9 is out (2x industry). You absolutely want to deny the industrial boom from the player who has drafted B-9 -- or even better, get them both. B-9 with the industrial boom is one of the best killer combos in the game, in my opinion. In these games, you do actively want to ignore the headhunter and draft the industrial boom. Maybe even by getting the ME bonus first from St. Petersburg/Dresden and get later the "?" cards.

Having said that, I'd be very curious to hear your feedback from your next sessions if you decide to limit the number of available engineers, although I reckon it's not really necessary.

Out of curiosity, how did the game progress, which engineers where in the game, which engineer was retrieved from the box and what strategy has his/her owner pursuing?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the long and very well thought out answer. I don't remember a lot of the game details. I got the bonus that gives you the two bonus factory and later used the twins to activate it well ahead of my industry marker being there. (We played that it couldn't be activated again that game, even when my industry marker reached it).

I don't remember any of the other engineers being remarkable in the game, but my opponent was rusty and let me get like 5 engineers (including the bonus card one; he got the 9 train) and both #1 locomotives so I won by around 100 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
Thanks for the long and very well thought out answer.
You are welcome.

Buggy wrote:
I don't remember a lot of the game details. I got the bonus that gives you the two bonus factory and later used the twins to activate it well ahead of my industry marker being there. (We played that it couldn't be activated again that game, even when my industry marker reached it).
Yes, you played it "correctly", based on how the community thinks; it can be activated only once, either by the industry marker or the engineering duo, whatever comes first. Seems like you didn't take the headhunter and still won, so how was the headhunter "annoying"? I'm just trying to understand your point of view.

Just to be sure: you took exactly one of the mini-expansion bonuses, right? One cannot get both the headhunter and the 2-Year Plan factory.

Buggy wrote:
I don't remember any of the other engineers being remarkable in the game, but my opponent was rusty and let me get like 5 engineers (including the bonus card one; he got the 9 train) and both #1 locomotives so I won by around 100 points.
Apparently, it was your opponent then... yeah, 5 engineers and two #1 factories is a good and reliable way from the base-game to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.