Hide
8 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about horror check and range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan blank
msg tools
I just explored the area into the library and a Hunting Horror spawned. Does this count as a Horror Check? and do both investigator make the check?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. This is not a horror check. Although the effect is similar, this is a different effect and items or abilities that affect horror checks do not trigger. This effect affects only the active investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HASTUR k@ze
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, think of it based on the story. The character in the hall opened the door to the library and this randomly happened (based on your decision to open the door). You will have to roll your Will Check in this situation to see if you take Horror.

The Mythos phase is after the Investigator phase, which again is completely random. It might affect a single player, all, or none.

Then after the Mythos phase, you will have your Horror Checks, where each character (if in range) will have to roll to see if one of the current monsters on the board horrifies them.

As you can see... Things can get bad quick if you're unlucky. Hence, Mansion of Madness. MWUAHAHAHAHAHA. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakari Laiho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... For easier rules and playing, I prefer doing horror check only when seeing monster, like 1st edition line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Second Edition, Horror Checks are a very specific thing that only happens during the horror step of the mythos phase. Everyone must make a Horror Check with the app against the most horrible monster (highest horror rating) within range.

Nothing else is a horror check.

As an aside, some cards might also refer to affecting tests when a monster attacks you. The only time this occurs is during the mythos phase as well. The test described above is not a monster attack. Neither are evade checks nor horror checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Perl
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And WITHIN RANGE means up to 3 spaces away? So if I am in a different room, but 3 spaces away, I have to do a horror check? ALso, if I am on the other side of the wall and there is a monster that ignores walls, is he within range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just quote the Range entry of the RRG:

RRG - Range wrote:
The range of effects that use the phrase “within range” is up to three
spaces away.
• Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect
specifically allows it.
• Range can be counted through impassable borders.

That appears to answer the questions sufficiently.

Monsters that ignore walls will not calculate Range any differently either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
pjperl wrote:
And WITHIN RANGE means up to 3 spaces away? So if I am in a different room, but 3 spaces away, I have to do a horror check? ALso, if I am on the other side of the wall and there is a monster that ignores walls, is he within range?

Is there such a monster?

The Ghost can "move through impassable borders and walls."

That power if very different from being able to ignore walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.