Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Geekmod_fail! [+] [View All]
David Hoffman
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player 7 Wonders is not fun, it is really a 3 player game with a weak attempt at filling in for the 3rd player. 7 Wonders Duel does a better job at having two players but can't come close to 7 Wonders with 3 or more actual players.

Two can be as bad as one. It's the loneliest number since the number one.

If you are limited to two players and you just have to play 7 wonders then this is the way to do it.

The reason I like the game so much is that the length is perfect and it has multiple paths to victory. You don't have to get into a strict tug of war over the one way to win and this gives you some outs. This game has a lot more luck than the regular version, but if you consider poor player choices then they about even out.

If you aren't often stuck with only two players then I don't recommend this game. That being said it is just as good an addition to any two player game collection as the offerings by Kosmos.

Side notes: you need to sleeve these cards as they are cheap and will easily get marked up. The marking matters because a large element of the game are the hidden cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hoffcorp wrote:
2 player 7 Wonders is not fun, it is really a 3 player game with a weak attempt at filling in for the 3rd player. 7 Wonders Duel does a better job at having two players but can't come close to 7 Wonders with 3 or more actual players.

If you are limited to two players and you just have to play 7 wonders then this is the way to do it.

The reason I like the game so much is that the length is perfect and it has multiple paths to victory. You don't have to get into a strict tug of war over the one way to win and this gives you some outs. This game has a lot more luck than the regular version, but if you consider poor player choices then they about even out.

If you aren't often stuck with only two players then I don't recommend this game. That being said it is just as good an addition to any two player game collection as the offerings by Kosmos.

Side notes: you need to sleeve these cards as they are cheap and will easily get marked up. The marking matters because a large element of the game are the hidden cards.

More of a collection of thoughts than a review, but pretty accurate overall. Except for the first two paragraphs. I mean, WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Razoupaf; I quite like the 2 player variant for 7 Wonders. It's not as strategic or as tight a game as 7 Wonders Duel, certainly, but there's nothing wrong with it in my mind. I guess if you're expecting the same game experience as the 3+ player game, you'd be a little disappointing, but if you accept it's a different style, it's fine.

The comments about 7 Wonders Duel are pretty spot on though. Except the sleeving of cards: I wouldn't say it's necessary; I've played it a dozen times and the cards haven't even begun to be marked up. Maybe I'm just a gentle shuffler though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
& Wonders Duel is substantially better right out of the box than the original 7 Wonders with all the expansions. I can't wait to see how it improves wih the upcoming expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the 2P implementation of 7 Wonders to be very strategic, so I don't agree that it is bad. I've only played Duel once so far, but thought it was good. I just picked up a copy and am looking forward to playing it some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
hoffcorp wrote:

More of a collection of thoughts than a review, but pretty accurate overall. Except for the first two paragraphs. I mean, WTF?

Thanks? Brevity is the soul of wit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sheepscott
Maine
flag msg tools
mb
Sleeves are a must for the building cards. They are remarkably fragile. The plastic coating peels away from the corners easily. That said, the cards feature pleasing art and the game is cleverly designed, with a nice balance of luck, strategy and playing speed. Also REPOS' U.S. customer service rep Asmodee will replace damaged cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMS
Australia
Success
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

I prefer that than scrolling past yet another rules rewrite.

Thanks for your thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMS
Australia
Success
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JokeToy wrote:
Sleeves are a must for the building cards. They are remarkably fragile. The plastic coating peels away from the corners easily. That said, the cards feature pleasing art and the game is cleverly designed, with a nice balance of luck, strategy and playing speed. Also REPOS' U.S. customer service rep Asmodee will replace damaged cards.

Like any game, whether to sleeve or not depends on where and who you play with, and where you lie on the OCD scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.