Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I just played this awesome game for the 12th time today, and I noticed that the fact that the unturned tile pictures were so close to the turned side was a bit of an issue.
I usually easily track my own to-be-turned tiles, but I happened to miss some of my opponents when the game started to be crowed and I can see this really messing up with my strategy. I think it ask for way to much effort too look for every single opponent tiles to check the unturned ones.

Did some of you though of something to modify the tiles and make them more readable?

Thank you!
Guillaume
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, it'll think it's fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northants.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought some white and blue cubes precisely for this purpose as I had the same issue.

Coal mines and iron foundries are easy to see as they have resources which need to be used placed on the tile, so easy visual clue as to "flipped" status.

I use the white cubes for "unflipped" cotton mills and blue cubes for "unflipped" ports (just one cube on each and remove when "flipped") .

As a Martin Wallace fan I used the cubes from Tinners Trail initially until I sourced extra cubes to stay in the Brass box.

Works for me - hope it is some use to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually love the idea!
I'm totally going to try this on my next game.
I was thinking of painting the tiles or something like that, but I like your idea better!
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never noticed a problem with this in all my plays (60).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:

Do you always know exactly where are all the unturned tiles?
Because with 4 players, when the map is full, I sometime miss some, especially those of my opponents. Or at least I have to spend extra efforts to find them all, when, I think, it should be obious at a simple glance.

The cube solution seems excellent, I already ordered them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
chaps357 wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Because with 4 players, when the map is full, I sometime miss some, especially those of my opponents. Or at least I have to spend extra efforts to find them all, when, I think, it should be obious at a simple glance.

If you are paying attention to the game, you should be keenly aware of the status of all unflipped tiles (and potential builds) that could impact your position. This is a key aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but still ^^
I find it frustrating to not have this key aspect not visible enough, and annoying to find a missing unturned tile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Look for my first published game, Undermining! Coming soon from Z-man games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a set where someone sharpied a black border around the unflipped tiles. Worked quite well, although I don't feel the need anymore. Cubes seem fiddly, and also would be potentially in the way other important visual info.

I think it's helpful to new players to be able to easily pull this info from the board, and as such will be making sure it will be easier to tell one side from the other in the new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

The cube solution seems excellent, I already ordered them

Ya, I do not have any trouble tracking what is flipped / unflipped. There are no secret moves, and a quick glance tells you who is doing what and how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United Kingdom
Northampton
Northants.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
I actually love the idea!
I'm totally going to try this on my next game.
I was thinking of painting the tiles or something like that, but I like your idea better!
Thanks!

Glad it was useful

In a perfect world I'm sure we'd all be able to keep track of which tiles were flipped....but Brass does lead to some AP and in a 4 player game it can be some time before it comes back to your turn again and I've found the cubes to be a nice visual aid for a lesser mortal such as myself, nice to know I'm not alone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally, we would have 3D-printed cotton mills & co to replace the tiles once they are flipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, yeah, may be in the ultra deluxe edition.
But actually I prefer the unturned one to be the most visible, as they are the most important in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.