Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Novak
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone had experience with playing the big campaigns with 2-players, but using all 4 sides (2 "allied" sides per player)? If so, how did you divide up the sides?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We 2 went by what the scenario book said..one plays Greece and Carthage, ta udder Rome and The East.

We had a good balance until turn VIII...when my Romans landed in North Scipio Afrikanus Afrika and my fiend had to cry ALAS! and quit!
He turned into a sore loser even before he lost or won..good riddance!

Otherwise was fun and balanced...cards and your strategy come into play also.

Then I played scenario 7 and 8 solo with two sides and had lots of FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"One moment, ordered, ordinary, and without hatred: my life was worthwhile." -Gillian Bradshaw (_Island of Ghosts_)
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played the Carthage/Greece vs Rome/East this summer. We leave it set up on a spare table and play a few hours a day. We're not speedy players, so the full scenario V ten turns takes us probably 25-30 hours.

We loved it, though by turn seven it was obvious Carthage was so far ahead in VPs that the others couldn't catch up no matter what they did, so we called it. It was his own fault: he focused Rome on the Danube and the East on Asia Minor. This meant Greece was hammered, but Carthage built up too much in Iberia and the Sicilies to be stopped.

Great game, though - we had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that when a four powers scenario is played by two player, the victory is awarded by adding the side VP's then divide to obtain the final score.
In that case, the Carthage victory isn't so easy if Greece is hammered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"One moment, ordered, ordinary, and without hatred: my life was worthwhile." -Gillian Bradshaw (_Island of Ghosts_)
mbmbmbmbmb
loris_pagnotta wrote:
I think that when a four powers scenario is played by two player, the victory is awarded by adding the side VP's then divide to obtain the final score.
In that case, the Carthage victory isn't so easy if Greece is hammered.

Is that in the 2nd edition Playbook? It's not in the 1st, which is all I have. I've begged GMT multiple times to post the new Playbook, but they never have - I even emailed the developer and asked what's changed, and he just said, "You're fine with what you have."

At any rate, we did discuss that, but with Greece's early VPs and Rome's early problems, it was still a runaway game. At the point we quit, Carthage had more VPs than the other three powers combined. You just can't leave them alone as long as he did.

And yet it was still a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No but is a common procedure for many other games.
However whatever it is the final result, the game is ever fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.