6 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you "double-dip" a sacrifice action, other abilities, etc.? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin McGraw
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So without having specific card names in front of me, I played a game the other day where my objective card stated "Sacrifice a friendly unit to move a damage off of this objective blah, blah..". One of my controlled, in-play units had an ability text that read "Sacrifice this unit to blah, blah..". If I use the objective's ability and sacrifice the unit that has its own sacrifice ability (or vice versa), can I trigger both cards' sacrifice abilities and outcomes? I did not see any reference in the rule book. Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
everlast80 wrote:
So without having specific card names in front of me, I played a game the other day where my objective card stated "Sacrifice a friendly unit to move a damage off of this objective blah, blah..". One of my controlled, in-play units had an ability text that read "Sacrifice this unit to blah, blah..". If I use the objective's ability and sacrifice the unit that has its own sacrifice ability (or vice versa), can I trigger both cards' sacrifice abilities and outcomes? I did not see any reference in the rule book. Thanks for any help!

No, because none of those effects are reactions to something being sacrificed (such abilities would use wording like "Reaction: After a card is sacrificed, ..." - see Executor from the objective set The Executor Arrives for an example of an effect like this). Rather, they are separate actions, and an action must always completely resolve before another action can initiate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. If it says to sacrifice a unit, the effect must be resolved before any other actions can be taken. By the time you want to sacrifice said unit again, it will be in your discard pile and cannot be sacrificed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thank you so much for the replies. I figured that would be the response but I wanted to see what you vets had done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kosit Phanthanusorn
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
No, because none of those effects are reactions to something being sacrificed (such abilities would use wording like "Reaction: After a card is sacrificed, ..." - see Executor from the objective set The Executor Arrives for an example of an effect like this).

Just to be clear, if I sacrificed a card using its own ability "Sacrifice this unit to..." then the Executor's ability would still go off, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
kositp wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
No, because none of those effects are reactions to something being sacrificed (such abilities would use wording like "Reaction: After a card is sacrificed, ..." - see Executor from the objective set The Executor Arrives for an example of an effect like this).

Just to be clear, if I sacrificed a card using its own ability "Sacrifice this unit to..." then the Executor's ability would still go off, yes?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.