GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 79.34

5,340 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mb
Hi to Heroes of this board, i need answers for some questions, before i will decide to buy this game or not.
1) Overall, is it good game for 2 players? I am planing to play mostly with my wife, preferably one character each (i think we can easily handle 2 characters each, but we just have another games for this, like Arkham). According to my expirience with app version, there is very limited chooses with this setup, characters always must be in different locations on they's own.
2) Is it legal, to just forfeit the game (just skip exploration phase until the timer runs out) if my character's deck is close to runs out? In this case i have not see any way to loose...
3) How level up and item farming works in the Campaign? Is it possible to just repeat the same scenario over and over again and gets benefits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimond wrote:
characters always must be in different locations on they's own.

This is incorrect. Several heroes have abilities that are for travelling together.

Daimond wrote:
2) Is it legal, to just forfeit the game (just skip exploration phase until the timer runs out) if my character's deck is close to runs out? In this case i have not see any way to loose...

Theoretically, but you also would forfeit the reward for completing it, making all future scenarios harder.

Daimond wrote:
3) How level up and item farm works in the Campaign? Is it possible to just repeat the same scenario over and over again and gets benefits?

That would be a house rule. There's no 'farming'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Daimond wrote:

Theoretically, but you also would forfeit the reward for completing it, making all future scenarios harder.

I'm afraid that's a good house-rule. However, the rules as written say this:

RotR rulebook, p. 18 wrote:
If, at any point, you need to advance the blessings deck but there are no cards remaining in it, the scenario ends immediately and your party of adventurers loses. You also lose if all of the characters are dead at the same time (see Dying on page 14). You do not earn the reward on the scenario card, and if you’re playing an adventure, you didn’t complete that scenario; you will need to replay it successfully before you can attempt the next scenario in the adventure.

So, basically, that means two things. The rules as written will let you repeat a scenario over and over again. There is no penalty for losing a scenario. The other thing is: You can exploit this. By intentionally losing a scenario and playing it over and over again. I don't think it's fun to play like that and wouldn't do that. But it conforms to the rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't progress to the next quest unless you complete a previous quest, so if you feel you will die soon it's better to just stop exploring until the blessings deck runs out.

Also, you can replay any level, but you don't get the quest/adventure awards again, just the cards that you found along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimond wrote:
1) Overall, is it good game for 2 players? I am planing to play mostly with my wife, preferably one character each (i think we can easily handle 2 characters each, but we just have another games for this, like Arkham). According to my expirience with app version, there is very limited chooses with this setup, characters always must be in different locations on they's own.

It's great for 2 players, playing one character each. My wife and I have been through the full campaign twice so far, and will probably go through a third time shortly. I think it's also fine with 3 players, but didn't enjoy the downtime when I tried it with 4 players.

Quote:

As others have said you can generally choose to fail a scenario rather than lose. For us, replaying the same scenario again wasn't that fun, so that was enough motivation for us to press a bit and try to win. Not at the risk of dying however. I have mixed feelings about permadeath, but my wife hates it and if her character ever dies, we'll either pretend it didn't happen, or she would probably never play again.

Quote:
3) How level up and item farming works in the Campaign? Is it possible to just repeat the same scenario over and over again and gets benefits?

Even if you did this, you could only level up so far at a time, because new powerful cards are added to the decks every 5 scenarios. The Adventure Guide (available as a download here) also helps flesh out the story, which helped us stay motivated to keep moving ahead to see what happens next.

If you go into this thinking about "winning" or "losing", you probably won't have that much fun. This is a game where you have to make good decisions, in order to watch your character grown and progress as quickly and effectively as possible. It's all about the journey of the campaign, at least for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Sparks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play it with two players. Each of us takes two characters. I think four characters is a sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure somebody plays a Cleric, at least for your first games!

Unlike most games, you do not automatically reshuffle discards into your draw pile. You'll want those Cure spells handy to recycle your cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.