Subject: "Long Night" and drawing Dracula Events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group was confused as to what happens with drawn Dracula events cards triggered by hunter movement during the night allowed by the "Long Night" hunter event card.

The users in this thread seem to think that they're handled the same as if you were drawing from the events deck during a night supply action, but I'm not entirely convinced.

For one, the only place in the rules that describe what happens when you draw from the bottom are in the Supply action description (both Learn to Play, p. 7 and RRG, p. 13), and the "Long Night" event is describing a modification to the Move action.

For two, the description of Event cards in the RRG (p.8) doesn't describe any generalized rules for drawing from the bottom of the deck.

I think thematically it makes sense that any Dracula Event cards drawn from the bottom due to the "Long Night" event should go to Dracula (as it's a very risky move for the hunters to be moving at night, meaning that not only do they lose a potential hunter event, but risk supplying Drac as well), but I'm not seeing anything in the rules that explicitly supports this.

What do you all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
touchstonethefool wrote:
I think thematically it makes sense that any Dracula Event cards drawn from the bottom due to the "Long Night" event should go to Dracula (as it's a very risky move for the hunters to be moving at night, meaning that not only do they lose a potential hunter event, but risk supplying Drac as well), but I'm not seeing anything in the rules that explicitly supports this.

What do you all think?

It's obvious that Dracula gets the cards. "Hunter cards are discarded". If Dracula cards were also discarded, it would say "Cards are discarded" or, most logially, it would not say anything about cards.

What do you think should be done with Dracula Event cards in such situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
It's obvious that Dracula gets the cards...What do you think should be done with Dracula Event cards in such situation?

I don't think it is obvious, all it says is "...draw 1 card from the bottom of the event deck. If it is a hunter card, discard it." If the default of drawing cards from the bottom of the event deck under any circumstances is "Drac Event Cards go to the Drac player," then it would have been stated somewhere in the rules. As it's only described in the rules for the Supply action (which, again, this isn't), it isn't clear in this case what should be done when a Drac event is drawn.

One could certainly *assume* that it's handled the same (it could be read that the "if it's a hunter card, discard it" is an implicit modification of the Supply action rules), and as stated above I think that it's likely this was the intent given the thematic implication.

All I'm saying is that it would be clearer with an explicit statement on the card, such as "draw one card from the bottom of the event deck (as you would with a Supply action)" or "Any Dracula events drawn in this way are given to Dracula, as normal." This references the rules as written rather than forcing the players to guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it could be written more explicitly, that's for sure. During the Long Night, Hunter cards drawn from the bottom are discarded, (instead of kept by the Hunters), and Dracula cards are awarded to the Dracula player.

That the is the "cost" of the Long Night, is the loss of cards drawn from the bottom of the Event Deck, and the possibility of Dracula gaining extra cards drawn from the bottom of the deck. But, on the up-side, each player gets to take a second turn during that round.

In a recent game I was in where I was Dracula, my players were fortunate enough to play Long Night on Tuesday and Wednesday nights of the first week!! It was crazy, and I only gained one stinking card! Dracula had his back against the ropes early in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a critic of the many ambiguous rules, but I think you are asking a bit too much in this case. Here's what the LTP (p. 7) sets up as the basic SUPPLY action:

Event cards are drawn differently during day and night, as follows:
[SNIP]
Night: During night, hunters take a card from the bottom of the event deck. If the event card on the bottom of the deck has a hunter icon, the hunter draws the card by placing it in his hand. If the event card on the bottom of the deck has a Dracula icon, Dracula draws the card by placing it in his hand.

That is the basic procedure. The Long Night card modifies the underlined portion of the rule, so that hunter cards are discarded instead of drawn by the hunter. Handling of the Dracula cards (bold) is unchanged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
touchstonethefool wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:
It's obvious that Dracula gets the cards...What do you think should be done with Dracula Event cards in such situation?

I don't think it is obvious

No. It is obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.