Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played some games of this now, enjoying it immensely.

One thing that I really wish there were more of were cards that thinned out the original cards in the deck. I know there are cards in the game that do that, though in the matches I've played it hasn't been speedy enough for impulsive me.

Anybody have great tips on clearing out cards beyond the obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been a big issue for me when playing. Very few options to thin your deck unless you are very careful in selecting the character decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I don't know if there is a good way to do this. I like the flow of the game, and don't think it's really required that much. The thing about the encounters system is that the coordinate cards are really just as important as thinning your deck, because if everyone is playing them, you're running through your deck quicker, and you're giving other players extra abilities. I think the only way to clear out lots of cards would be to make one person focus on just buying those cards (I think Jayne has the green ones that clear, and someone else maybe?). They could also focus on buying River cards which allow you to cycle through your deck faster, and pick cards to discard when drawing new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Even if you select the deck thinners, they're hardly a sure thing. Jayne seems to be the only one who can do it, and even he isn't a reliable thing. And having him as a MC is pretty helpful in a lot of episodes.

The lack of deck thinning was an issue in Alien/Predator, too. But unlike Big Trouble, which has tons of deck-thinning, Firefly seems to have even less than A/P. We've ended a lot of games with everyone having the same 12 grey cards you started with. And it's a real drag on the game.

Almost seems like there should be a rule on gaining Talents. "Instead of gaining a Talent, you can defeat a 0-cost card." Talents are nice, but some are either conditional (no ship strikes? No Kaylee talent.), or aren't a lot of help. Using Mal's Talent to let 2 players draw a card each isn't much help if all they draw is Grey cards. There are times when we'd rather just defeat Grey cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
Almost seems like there should be a rule on gaining Talents. "Instead of gaining a Talent, you can defeat a 0-cost card." Talents are nice, but some are either conditional (no ship strikes? No Kaylee talent.), or aren't a lot of help. Using Mal's Talent to let 2 players draw a card each isn't much help if all they draw is Grey cards. There are times when we'd rather just defeat Grey cards.

Clever idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Rolfe
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played only a few times, but we really miss the feeling we get in Legendary: Marvel when our decks are getting really good. We still may not get strong enough in time, but there's a satisfying feeling of progress and hope for good hands.

That doesn't seem to happen in this game. Either we win or lose first. We're thinking of letting anyone activate (and defeat) their Talent to defeat a grey card in their discard pile and one in another player's discard pile. Or use it the way it was originally written. Maybe this will be an over-correction, but I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
I don't know if there is a good way to do this. I like the flow of the game, and don't think it's really required that much. The thing about the encounters system is that the coordinate cards are really just as important as thinning your deck, because if everyone is playing them, you're running through your deck quicker, and you're giving other players extra abilities. I think the only way to clear out lots of cards would be to make one person focus on just buying those cards (I think Jayne has the green ones that clear, and someone else maybe?). They could also focus on buying River cards which allow you to cycle through your deck faster, and pick cards to discard when drawing new ones.

Yeah, coordinate cards replace themselves, so that's an alternate way to 'thin', sort of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arolfe wrote:
We have played only a few times, but we really miss the feeling we get in Legendary: Marvel when our decks are getting really good. We still may not get strong enough in time, but there's a satisfying feeling of progress and hope for good hands.

That doesn't seem to happen in this game. Either we win or lose first. We're thinking of letting anyone activate (and defeat) their Talent to defeat a grey card in their discard pile and one in another player's discard pile. Or use it the way it was originally written. Maybe this will be an over-correction, but I don't think so.

Yeah, I think that's what I miss: the feeling of getting a more power hand of cards over time. I remember in Legendary KO'ing cards to get beefier and beefier like a ... superhero.

Here, I feel like I'm playing Dominion with Market cards, where the dead cards started accruing like debt the farther one plays into the episode. Deck cycling becomes paramount in the absence of thinning.

Still love the game, so many nice touches that show homage to Firefly. I just want to look forward toward taking on tougher challenges with better cards as the game goes on, not looking behind me and wondering if those dreaded Shiny cards are still loitering around in my deck keeping my good cards at bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coordinate, though, to be fair, is a huge benefit and a great mechanism. It's nice to be "so" close to beating an enemy but being one attack icon down, and then having a partner "coordinate" with you to finish off the job. Very satisfying and lends well to the cooperative aspects of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Auzette wrote:
Coordinate, though, to be fair, is a huge benefit and a great mechanism. It's nice to be "so" close to beating an enemy but being one attack icon down, and then having a partner "coordinate" with you to finish off the job. Very satisfying and lends well to the cooperative aspects of the game.

Except for when everyone who can coordinates and you still end up one short.

That's what bugs us: in some of the C episodes, you sit there and do nothing. You might have 3 Recruit, 6 Combat... but if everything is scanned and the Bridge is filled with 4> Recruit cards... that 6 Cbt doesn't do much for you.

It's not very fun to have turns where you say, "Can't recruit anything, can't fight anything. Pass."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
Auzette wrote:

Except for when everyone who can coordinates and you still end up one short.

That's what bugs us: in some of the C episodes, you sit there and do nothing. You might have 3 Recruit, 6 Combat... but if everything is scanned and the Bridge is filled with 4> Recruit cards... that 6 Cbt doesn't do much for you.

It's not very fun to have turns where you say, "Can't recruit anything, can't fight anything. Pass."

Ouch. Yeah, I had a couple turns like that in the last game, and it isn't much fun. Maybe that's what made me appreciate "Coordinates" that worked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:

Sometimes I wish there was a game mechanic in these games to reset the Bridge (or HQ, or whatever the equivalent in the various Legendary/LE games).
Paying a certain amount to wipe the current cards (either reshuffle them into the deck, or just put them at the bottom of the deck) and deal out new ones.

Not sure how this would factor into the game balance, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Gislef wrote:

Sometimes I wish there was a game mechanic in these games to reset the Bridge (or HQ, or whatever the equivalent in the various Legendary/LE games).
Paying a certain amount to wipe the current cards (either reshuffle them into the deck, or just put them at the bottom of the deck) and deal out new ones.

Ha, that was one of my other bummer points. Because as the games goes on, I want to buy less cards "just to buy cards" because they just fill up my deck. But then, nobody buys cards, and it just sits there stagnant. I'd at LEAST be willing to buy a card if I could toss it. I'd rather spend my money freeing up a slot without sacrificing deck bloat than watch the bridge get stale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
Even if you select the deck thinners, they're hardly a sure thing. Jayne seems to be the only one who can do it, and even he isn't a reliable thing. And having him as a MC is pretty helpful in a lot of episodes.

The lack of deck thinning was an issue in Alien/Predator, too. But unlike Big Trouble, which has tons of deck-thinning, Firefly seems to have even less than A/P. We've ended a lot of games with everyone having the same 12 grey cards you started with. And it's a real drag on the game.

One thing I've thought of and have been trying is thinning the deck between episodes. I have allowed the removal of one grey card after the first episode and two after the second. Helps a little. I have been also toying with the idea of using credits to thin decks between episodes.

*** Edited to add that the only reason I don't use the credit to remove cards is that's all I would ever spend my credits on. Maybe allow 1 credit to be spent after the first episode and up to 2 for the second. For each credit spent, each player may remove any 1 card from their deck. ***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Gislef wrote:

Ha, that was one of my other bummer points. Because as the games goes on, I want to buy less cards "just to buy cards" because they just fill up my deck. But then, nobody buys cards, and it just sits there stagnant. I'd at LEAST be willing to buy a card if I could toss it. I'd rather spend my money freeing up a slot without sacrificing deck bloat than watch the bridge get stale.

I've always sort of wanted this rule in the Legendary Encounters games, but not until Firefly did it feel absolutely necessary. I can't believe the unlucky combinations I seem to get in the bridge when playing Firefly. This is from a guy who has had to replace the sleeves (upper deck premium) to my Alien game due to wear and tear.

* edited for spelling *

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.