Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dori Dori
Poland
Krakow
malopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Card require me to send home worker. Now question on timing of this. Do I need to revel my card just after combat or I can take bottom action and then claim star for this objective.

I got situation where I won battle send mech and 2 workers home. That was my 5 star and I took risk of ending game in tier 1 but bottom action would push me to tier 2 on popularity track. So timing of claiming objective card is crucial. In the rules it stays that you revel it in your turn but you need to meet criteria. So with this objective does it need to be just after fight or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doribrud wrote:
Card require me to send home worker. Now question on timing of this. Do I need to revel my card just after combat or I can take bottom action and then claim star for this objective.

I got situation where I won battle send mech and 2 workers home. That was my 5 star and I took risk of ending game in tier 1 but bottom action would push me to tier 2 on popularity track. So timing of claiming objective card is crucial. In the rules it stays that you revel it in your turn but you need to meet criteria. So with this objective does it need to be just after fight or not?

Interesting question! I am curious about the answer to this one. The rules say that you can reveal the objective at anytime on your turn, but must meet the conditions. Since the "condition" of that card is a one-off "event" it is hard to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
EDIT: Yup, I'm wrong. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDoubleHelix wrote:
You're allowed to complete your bottom action after receiving your 6th star.

EDIT: I thought I read this in this forum. I'm double checking.

You are allowed to finish your bottom action, if the bottom action gave you your 6th star.

If your top action gave you the 6th star, the game ends immediately, no bottom action is taken.

Rules, page 28 - Edge Cases:

"If the 6th star comes from taking a bottom-row action, gain the primary benefit, the coins and the Recruit Ongoing Benefit before placing the star."

Better to check the rules before the forums, the answer is often right there! This is clearly worded in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDoubleHelix wrote:
You're allowed to complete your bottom action after receiving your 6th star.

EDIT: I thought I read this in this forum. I'm double checking.

Please resist the urge to answer rules questions when you don't actually know the answer, it is confusing for everyone...

It is always best to actually reference the rules with a page number, or link to a thread with an answer from the designer in cases where there is ambiguity.

Giving answers you think you remember from some other thread, without referencing the rules, is a recipe for disaster!

Cheers!
The Rev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scholtanus
Netherlands
Beek (gem Montferland)
flag msg tools
As long as it does NOT say: "at the end of your turn", I'd say claim it whenever you want. (While still in your turn, obviously)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've clarified the timing of revealing objective cards in a version of the rules that haven't been printed yet (the timing rarely matters, but when it matters, it matters big time!). Here's how it reads:

"You may reveal a completed objective card during your own turn before or after you complete a top- or bottom-row action."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mb
The question was not when you can reveal an objective card in general, but specifically when you can reveal card number 6. Can you can take the bottom row action first? What if that action gives you a power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules say you can reveal at any time during your turn once the criteria has been met I would say it is fine to reveal after bottom row action as long as the requirements were met before the bottom row action was taken.

Problem with this card is that it is hard to claim it a few turns later, but should be OK after just bottom row action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dori Dori
Poland
Krakow
malopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I've clarified the timing of revealing objective cards in a version of the rules that haven't been printed yet (the timing rarely matters, but when it matters, it matters big time!). Here's how it reads:

"You may reveal a completed objective card during your own turn before or after you complete a top- or bottom-row action."

So question still remains:

Do I need specifically with this objective card claim it just after top row action (move) or can I take also bottom action and then revel it, if I want.

It is not for sake of taking power but popularity in my case were that could move me to tier 2 of popularity track.

I wont probably reclaim victory from my wife but still couldn't stop thinking about it modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"Do I need specifically with this objective card claim it just after top row action (move) or can I take also bottom action and then revel it, if I want."

I think the Reverend already answered it: When you place your 6th star, the game ends. You don't have the opportunity to continue doing anything after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
"Do I need specifically with this objective card claim it just after top row action (move) or can I take also bottom action and then revel it, if I want."

I think the Reverend already answered it: When you place your 6th star, the game ends. You don't have the opportunity to continue doing anything after that.

Hey Jamey,

I think the language differences are causing some confusion.

What the OP is asking is:

Given that objective card #6 has such a specifically timed trigger regarding sending a worker home but still having 7 power left, does it act differently than the rest of the objective cards, whose conditions "linger". i.e. Do you have to play the objective immediately after the move action that sends that worker home, or can you play that particular objective card after sending a worker home and then taking a bottom row action, since objective cards can generally be played anytime on your turn. The confusion exists because for most cards the "condition" (i.e. power level, control of hex) lingers, but for this card it isn't clear how long the condition (i.e. send worker home) "lingers" for the sake of triggering the card.

Cheers, and thanks for being so active on the boards, greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris broadbent
United States
Covington (Kent (Seattle))
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Jamey, I'm double- checking here for clarity.
I perform an action on the top row that competes my objective. I can reveal that objective before or after a top or bottom row action on that turn, correct?
In this specific case, the Move action and resultant combat (top row) fulfilled the objective. The player may wait until after taking their bottom row action to reveal that their top row action fulfilled their objective, right?
I think that's what you're saying, but I don't want to assume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for reference, the card's wording is
Quote:
Send One Back As A Warning
Force an opponent's worker to retreat and still have at least 7 power

This is an unusual one in that all (as far as I could see) the other non-at-the-end-of-your-turn cards refer to a board-state rather than an event that occurred.

Purely personally, which keeps in this "evaluating the board-state at a moment in time" feeling, I'd read this as "you must have 7 or more power left after you have forced an enemy worker to retreat".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
Purely personally, which keeps in this "evaluating the board-state at a moment in time" feeling, I'd read this as "you must have 7 or more power left after you have forced an enemy worker to retreat".

I don't think anyone is questioning that fact, what the question is from the OP, is there a "memory" of that board state that lasts until the end of your turn, or do you have to trigger it immediately upon sending the worker home with your top row action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying. I see the confusion now. I think Mad's wording is very close: "Have at least 7 power and complete a Move action that forces at least 1 enemy worker to retreat."

Chris, you asked: "I perform an action on the top row that competes my objective. I can reveal that objective before or after a top or bottom row action on that turn, correct?"

--Yes, that's correct.

"In this specific case, the Move action and resultant combat (top row) fulfilled the objective. The player may wait until after taking their bottom row action to reveal that their top row action fulfilled their objective, right?"

--Based on my clarified wording, the objective would need to be revealed immediately after the Move action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. I see the confusion now. I think Mad's wording is very close: "Have at least 7 power and complete a Move action that forces at least 1 enemy worker to retreat."

Chris, you asked: "I perform an action on the top row that competes my objective. I can reveal that objective before or after a top or bottom row action on that turn, correct?"

--Yes, that's correct.

"In this specific case, the Move action and resultant combat (top row) fulfilled the objective. The player may wait until after taking their bottom row action to reveal that their top row action fulfilled their objective, right?"

--Based on my clarified wording, the objective would need to be revealed immediately after the Move action.

I don't get it. I thought your clarified wording would mean that they could wait until after their bottom row action. The conditions were resolved and it would be after their bottom row action that they decided to reveal. Isn't that the meaning of "or"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
John: I think you're right, but it requires a slight clarification on the wording for card #6:

"Have at least 7 power and complete a Move action this turn that forces at least 1 enemy worker to retreat."

The timing of this one is really odd, as the Reverend mentions, so I think "this turn" is needed to clarify that the Move action could have happened any time this turn. So you could wait until after the bottom-row action to reveal this objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dori Dori
Poland
Krakow
malopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
John: I think you're right, but it requires a slight clarification on the wording for card #6:

"Have at least 7 power and complete a Move action this turn that forces at least 1 enemy worker to retreat."

The timing of this one is really odd, as the Reverend mentions, so I think "this turn" is needed to clarify that the Move action could have happened any time this turn. So you could wait until after the bottom-row action to reveal this objective.

Thanks Jamie - that was what I was looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brock

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about the case where you have won a Combat which sent a worker home, and at the end of this combat you have 6 Power. Then you do the bottom action, which includes a Recruit bonus of 1 Power. Now you have 7 Power, and you reveal the Objective.

In this case, I would think that the Objective was not accomplished. So the timing is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brockneil wrote:
What about the case where you have won a Combat which sent a worker home, and at the end of this combat you have 6 Power. Then you do the bottom action, which includes a Recruit bonus of 1 Power. Now you have 7 Power, and you reveal the Objective.

In this case, I would think that the Objective was not accomplished. So the timing is important.

[Edit] Okay, looks like you have it right. I got lost in some of the previous comments.

I think this would be totally legit. If you didn't get power from your bottom action, leaving you with 6 power by the end of your turn, you wouldn't have it, because you have to resolve your combat before you force a worker out, so there's no moment to play where you have 7 power after having forced a worker out.

You can play your objective at any time. This effectively translates to before or after either of your top or bottom actions. but I'd argue in between taking benefits from your actions too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarad: Just to avoid any timing issues, we've clarified in the rules that you can complete an objective on your turn either before or after completing a top or bottom-row action, but not in the middle of an action.

But either way, you're right that Neil's example (and answer) is legit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm confused by this card. So if I don't have 7 power at the time that I do the move that causes the worker to retreat, I can't achieve the objective if I reach 7 power later that same turn, even though by the end of the turn I've achieved both of those things?

--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael: After you've caused a worker to retreat, if you have 7+ power after completing your top action or after completing your bottom action, you may complete that objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what we know:

brockneil (a.k.a. Neil) wrote:

jameystegmaier wrote:
But either way, you're right that Neil's example (and answer) is legit.

But you can only cause a worker to retreat from a Move action.

So, you'd have to play Objective #6 immediately after your top Move action (if you still had 7 power), or immediately after your bottom Move action (from a factory card) if you still had 7 power, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.