$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 114.83

7,011 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rusviet move clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patricia Mackenzie
Australia
Bellerive
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Hi, all. I might have been dreaming, but I swear I read in a FB thread that Rusviet can use the Township ability to move (i.e., leap) to an UN-occupied village because it immediately comes under control of Rusviet.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I know. I suspect that I got the meaning wrong, and that what was meant was that in a single Speed move, a character or mech could move one hex to an empty village, which would then give them control, and from there make their second move to the factory or another village they control.

What I need is for somebody to authoritatively tell me that Rusviet may NOT move via Township ability unless they control the target territory, and that the same is true for Saxony and mountains/tunnels.

Thanks, everyone! I've played Scythe six or seven times and love the game (but I've been getting some rules wrong. Sigh). Peace.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it can't go to a village you don't control.

It can be the only unit and leave a village because it had control before leaving, but it can't go to a village if you don't have control of it before it left the previous village or factory.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what they were saying was more along the lines of being able to claim villages as part of seperate actions. You could move a worker onto a village and then teleport your character to the newly claimed hex, for example.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mb
If you can move more than one space, you can use township to jump from a village that is unoccupied at the start of your move. When you move into the village, you immediately take control. You can then use the second step of your move to jump to another village you control, or to the factory. You can only jump to a village that you already control.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
trishtas wrote:
Hi, all. I might have been dreaming, but I swear I read in a FB thread that Rusviet can use the Township ability to move (i.e., leap) to an UN-occupied village because it immediately comes under control of Rusviet.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I know. I suspect that I got the meaning wrong, and that what was meant was that in a single Speed move, a character or mech could move one hex to an empty village, which would then give them control, and from there make their second move to the factory or another village they control.


Yeah, either the FB thread was wrong or you misread it. You can't move to an empty village, but as you say, you can move to an empty village and then jump from there on your second move.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaladin Stormblessed
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Do you have to control the factory in order to use township to move from a village you own to the factory?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaladin Stormblessed wrote:
Do you have to control the factory in order to use township to move from a village you own to the factory?
No.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaladin Stormblessed
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's powerful...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaladin Stormblessed wrote:
That's powerful...
Yes. There are lots of strategy articles about how Rusviet has a 5-turn (4 if they get the right Player Mats) opening strategy to take the Factory. However, there are also lots of strategy articles about how any given factor of Scythe that might seem shiny at first -- including and especially Factory Rush -- is not an automatic key to victory, and taking that strategy at the expense of your other facets of the game can be costly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Kaladin Stormblessed wrote:
That's powerful...
Yes. There are lots of strategy articles about how Rusviet has a 5-turn (4 if they get the right Player Mats) opening strategy to take the Factory. However, there are also lots of strategy articles about how any given factor of Scythe that might seem shiny at first -- including and especially Factory Rush -- is not an automatic key to victory, and taking that strategy at the expense of your other facets of the game can be costly.

Yeah, this. Last game I played, I got to the factory... and then what? I got the factory card early, but it didn't end up helping me. I don't think I ever used it. I usually don't end up taking factory actions because most of the time it is more advantageous to use whatever cycle your player board encourages. And I especially don't use the factory card with the Rusviets, who can repeat the same actions. You certainly don't want to spend your whole game sitting on the factory - that's wasting valuable resources when other people are happy to let you sit there while they do other things.

It might help toward the end game, making an easier rush to the factory for the extra territory, but the movements of Nords and Polania are nearly as good, using lakes to move in. There are so many ways to get points without locking up your troops and trying to keep your combat ability high enough to defend the factory, though, so it's not the auto-win it seems to be.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.