Hide
7 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dash or Surge during monster attack & full move. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Been focusing on painting so I haven't played in a while and have forgotten a few tricky rules.

1.) Dashing out of range

Situation
'Pick Target' on AI card lists, closest threat, in range. 'A' is two spaces from the monster, 'B' is three spaces from the monster.

- After the monster picks survivor 'A' as a target, 'A' decides to dash during the flow and move out of range, thus nullifying the attack.

Questions
- Does 'B' become the new target? I think not, since 'Pick Target' has been resolved and it's now the 'Move and Attack' phase.

- It feels silly that after dashing out of range, the monster still moves towards it's anticipated target's location (monster seems retarded or delayed beyond belief). It just doesn't make thematic sense, dashing the survivor then moving the monster. The only way I can do this, for it to make sense, is to move the monster and dash survivor 'A' concurrently; the survivor dashes 1 space away the monster moves 1 space towards him/her.

2.) Surge after being targeted

Situation
- Monster targets an adjacent survivor and prepares to attack, survivor decides to 'Surge' and attack first.

- I think I recall reading something about how you can't attack when being attacked, or was it you can't dodge when attacking (in the case of a monster reaction). Anyway, if the survivor who surges attacks and knocks the monster down, is the monster's original attack cancelled? I assume so.

- If the survivor attacks and the HL reaction, knocks back the survivor, is he/she out of range for the original attack which now becomes nullified?

Thanks folks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
hwknight wrote:

- It feels silly that after dashing out of range, the monster still moves towards it's anticipated target's location (monster seems retarded or delayed beyond belief). It just doesn't make thematic sense, dashing the survivor then moving the monster. The only way I can do this, for it to make sense, is to move the monster and dash survivor 'A' concurrently; the survivor dashes 1 space away the monster moves 1 space towards him/her.

Mechanically you are doing one then the other. Thematically I'd look at it as the monster sets it's sights on player A and starts to charge, seeing this player A runs away as the monster is coming at them. The monster doesn't change targets because it's already mid-charge by the time player A is out of reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
hwknight wrote:

- I think I recall reading something about how you can't attack when being attacked, or was it you can't dodge when attacking (in the case of a monster reaction). Anyway, if the survivor who surges attacks and knocks the monster down, is the monster's original attack cancelled? I assume so.

- If the survivor attacks and the HL reaction, knocks back the survivor, is he/she out of range for the original attack which now becomes nullified?

Thanks folks

You can't dodge while you are attacking.

The monsters can still move within the flow it would follow the knocked back target and attack if it can get into range. If the attack doesn't allow movement or you're already past it's movement the attack is nullified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
cormor321 wrote:
hwknight wrote:

Thanks folks

The monsters can still move within the flow it would follow the knocked back target and attack if it can get into range. If the attack doesn't allow movement or you're already past it's movement the attack is nullified.

Do you mean i cannot dodge a reaction from the monster as well?
I had the impression that before any reaction ability is applied, the survivors have a window to use their survival points
So before executing the reaction, i had thought that i could choose to use survival to dash away or to dodge the attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Jion wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
hwknight wrote:

Thanks folks

I had the impression that before any reaction ability is applied, the survivors have a window to use their survival points
So before executing the reaction, i had thought that i could choose to use survival to dash away or to dodge the attack

Other survivors can take survival actions during that window, not the attacking survivor.

*page 77
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Jion wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
hwknight wrote:

Thanks folks

Other survivors can take survival actions during that window, not the attacking survivor.

*page 77

This. Windows of opportunity for survival usage do NOT apply to attacking characters, so whenever you attack and hit, you fully risk the monster's reaction to its full effect (you can't dodge or dash for instance). Other players, however, can react using survival though. I recall this was a bit tricky to sort out when a fellow player surged and attacked the monster right before the reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sams
msg tools
mbmbmb
hwknight wrote:
Anyway, if the survivor who surges attacks and knocks the monster down, is the monster's original attack cancelled? I assume so.

Yes. If the monster is knocked down its turn immediately ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.