43.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one more credit on Audible. I hope to use it on a book that I never would have known existed on my own, about a topic that I'd never have considered "reading" about if someone else didn't suggest it. Given those criteria, I clearly need help. Since my request for help about an American Revolution book was exceedingly well met, I thought I'd ask here.

Some time ago, I chanced across a copy of the book Of Arms and Men. That was a joyous discovery for me, I loved it. I'm hoping to find another unexpected gem. Ideally I'll find a book I've never heard of, about a topic I've heard very little if anything about.

I enjoy history with a leaning toward military history. I'm not looking for information about any of the sort of big, obvious topics. None of the wars American was a direct participant in, for instance. As far as scope (or scale, whatever you might call it), I tend to enjoy one volume histories of wars, such as Battle Cry of Freedom, but I wouldn't limit my search to that. I probably wouldn't be inclined to try a book about a single battle in history, for instance. I'm not totally discounting the idea, but that's not my inclination.

I know it's a broad question "Hey, can you tell me about a book you liked that I've probably never heard of?" But I'm asking it, and I'm excited to see what answers I get.

PS - I'm not asking you to check Audible for me to tell me if they have the title, I'll certainly handle that task myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Lance
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I count twelve coming in from starboard, Admiral.
badge
Fourteen from port side, sir!
mbmbmbmbmb

Possibly NSFW (though it is just Amazon)

Spoiler (click to reveal)

I am also a big fan of historical atlases of all kinds. Nothing tells the story like a map, which is why I like board wargames so much. But obviously atlases are not compatible with audiobooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cruces
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the top book-

How about this one

Germs: Biological Weapons and America's Secret War

https://www.amazon.com/Germs-Biological-Weapons-Americas-Sec...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Live and Let Spy: BRIXMIS - The Last Cold War Mission

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, WWI Naval history isn't that obscure but I always recommend

Dreadnought and/or Castles of Steel by Robert K. Massie

I'd recommend almost anything by Massie (I haven't read everything though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The War that Made America" was pretty great. Pretty brief, but an excellent overview of the politics and results of the French & Indian War. It certainly shed some light on the Native American involvement in early America, not just during the war but before. I think most people have an incomplete if not wholly inaccurate understanding of the Iroquois.

My wife and I listened to it (using Audible) while we traveled to Quebec City this summer and were enthralled by its narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few suggestions (I checked, and these are all available on audible):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Spy Among Friends was pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh such an abundance of riches. My plan was to use my last credit and then sign off for a while, as I don't have enough listening time for a book and my collection of podcasts to do more than a book a month. I'm beginning to suspect that plan will be altered.

Thanks for so many great ideas this far, please keep them coming.

BTW, The Devil's Horsemen was one of my very favorite books ever, so thanks for the Ghengis recommendation. I listened (twice) to the entire Dan Carlin Hardcore History series about the Mongols. What an amazing tale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooting up: A Short History of Drugs and War, by Lukasz Kamienski. What it says in the title. Discusses how throughout history soldiers have used drugs to make them better able to carry out their missions and to deal with the horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The History of Money - Jack Weatherford
Asleep the forgotten epidemic that became medicines greatest mystery - Molly Caldwell Crosby
The Korean War - Max Hastings

All good and definitely on Audible I've got them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Dedrick
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
https://www.amazon.com/So-Far-God-Mexico-1846-1848-ebook/dp/...

An excellent Book on the Mexican American war. "SO Far from God" by JD Eisenhower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton by Martin van Creveld

The importance of logistics to military operations. You can get this really cheaply if you buy the 1st edition from Amazon.

The Wages of Destruction by Adam Tooze

The reasons behind Germany's invasions of certain countries in a particular order, as well as the changes in the German economy's ability to continue waging war throughout WW2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like reading about strategic planning, I highly recommend War Plan Orange: The U.S. Strategy to Defeat Japan, 1897-1945 by Edward S. Miller. Miller takes the reader from the very roots of War Plan Orange through the late Thirties, and its replacement by Rainbow Five, detailing

1. How new technologies (i.e, coal to oil for ships; long range aircraft) impacted thinking.

2. The competition between what Miller calls the Thrusters vs. Cautionaries, and the on-again/off-again cooperation with Army planners.

3. The impact of the League of Nations mandates and the subsequent Washington Treaties on strategy, especially island fortifications and potential forward basing.

4. What parts of War Plan Orange manifested themselves in the actual Pacific War '41-'45, and what didn't, and why. The actual PTO played out very much like what the Cautionaries had envisioned, though the atomic bomb solved the problem of how long Japan could endure a blockade.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which is also loaded with great maps and tables of data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rutherford
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
Novus Ordo Seclorum
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest audiobook that really blew me away is The Iraq War, by John Keegan:

http://www.audible.com/pd/Nonfiction/The-Iraq-War-Audiobook/...

Keegan examines the war from the point of view of a British military historian, and Simon Vance gives a pitch-perfect reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
SeriousCat wrote:
Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton by Martin van Creveld

The importance of logistics to military operations. You can get this really cheaply if you buy the 1st edition from Amazon.

Along these lines there is also Engels, Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
On the biological aspects of history:

MacNeil, Plagues and People
Zinsser, Rates, Lice, and History
Crosby, The Columbian Exchange
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I probably wouldn't be inclined to try a book about a single battle in history, for instance.

the best I read last year. Probably on Audible. Pregnant with significance for all world history, or perhaps not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jackson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Neptune's Inferno by James Hornfischer. Great writer and same as the on that wrote Last Stand of the Tincan Sailors. Also check to see if your local library offers audiobooks through Hoopla. I have been enjoying quite a few through our local library and its free. All you need is a card and you can listen to them on your computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe R

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
Several recommendations:

Another vote for Wages of Destruction. Superb.

Kaigun by Evans and Peattie -- Hugely interesting telling of the story of how and why the Japanese designed the IJN

The Book Thief by by Zusak -- not exactly a history, but an interesting telling of the Nazi era and the bombing campaign from the receiving end. Great literature.

Either of Eric Bergerud's two books on the war in the South Pacific. Fire in the Sky (the air war) or Touched with Fire (the land war).

Another odd one but.... For an interesting exploration of war and alienation, try Joe Haldeman's The Forever War. Officially listed as science fiction, the book was actually the author's working out of what we would now call PTSD issues after returning from Vietnam. One of those books that is only sort of about what it purports to be about. Plus a really well done story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I have read by John Keegan has been good. I particularly enjoyed The Mask of Command and A History of Warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea about Audible, and these three are not military history, but I enjoyed:

The Cruelest Miles by Gay and Laney Salisbury. 1925 Nome, Alaska, diphtheria epidemic and the race to get antitoxin delivered in time, eventually by sled dog.

Young Men and Fire by Norman Maclean. 1949 Mann Gulch, Montana, forest fire that was the first major tragedy for the Smokejumpers with lessons learned for future fire-fighting tactics.

When the Mississippi Ran Backwards by Jay Feldman. A history of the young USA centered around the 1812 New Madrid, Missouri, earthquake. A touch of military history with the War of 1812 and struggles along the western frontier between USA and Native American tribes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
Belgium
Vosselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

https://mobile.audible.co.uk/pd/History/The-War-that-Never-W...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
Belgium
Vosselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

https://mobile.audible.co.uk/pd/Non-fiction/The-Oil-Kings-Au...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
Belgium
Vosselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

https://mobile.audible.co.uk/pd/History/Immortal-A-Military-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.