5 Posts

Air Cav» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Light Forces in the Persian Gulf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmb
Haven't played this in years. Thought I'd give it a try. The second campaign game seemed that it would generate a lot of smaller scenarios. So, starting in the outer ring, "Box 9: Asgarm-E Grail" I set up. The Soviets only have an airborne infantry platoon. The infantry squad sets up in the road intersection, while the squad with the SAM is up in 3417, and the ATGM squad sets up in 3119. And that's it! Hope they can hold the road!

Meanwhile, the US has a Light Motorized Platoon and an Attack Helicopter section. The LMP sets up on the road, 2014 to 2314, and the AHs behind them at NOE.

And here is where it gets ridiculous.

The Soviets win the initiative. The ATGM squad is able to observe the 4 Hummers, Target Type E, To Kill number "10", no modifiers. Firing an ATGM takes 3 OP, so the squad fires 4 times, destroying all 4 Hummers. The squad in the road is out of range, and the SAM squad can't do anything unless the AH-64s go to low-level, so they pass to the US player. The first AH-64 fires its rockets at the now-observed ATGM squad, and with a FKN of 10 also kills it. Then it flies down the road to a 10-hex range where it observes the ATGM squad. The squad is still out of range of its RPG, so can't do anything as it too dies by rocket fire. Then the second AH-64 flies to the road and uses its rockets to kill the lone Soviet Squad. End of Turn 1. End of scenario. Americans "victorious" even though all the ground units died:

So, a couple of observations here:
I know the game is supposed to follow the "If you're seen you're dead" concept, but this setup was basically a turkey shoot for both sides. It looks like the US player can set up in Rough hexes where the observation is a lot less - 5 hexes instead of 30. Also, I'm not sure if you can (when fired upon) immediately do a reaction move - that might have saved a couple of squads. I've seen on CSW some optional rules for missile use; many wargames you can only fire once per turn. Firing 4 ATGM in a row seems unrealistic. Finally, I think that the game system is probably more balanced with larger scenarios like company vs company. It seems in this campaign game it would be better to bunch up your units and leave some boxes unguarded because a lone platoon can get wiped out quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmb
Looked at the rules again. You CAN, (if you have the OPs) perform an Evasive Maneuver when fired upon and it will affect the FKN. Might have helped a bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Taylor
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when I overlook rules that can change the entire aspect of a scenario. Like yourself in this situation it usually happens to me when I haven't played a game in awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmb
But wait! There's more! You can Opportunity Fire after the active player completes any operation...including firing. So, after the ATGM squad killed the first Hummer, one of the AH-64s could have fired back...oops...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shanks
Canada
Unspecified
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've seen on CSW some optional rules for missile use; many wargames you can only fire once per turn. Firing 4 ATGM in a row seems unrealistic.

If anyone's interested, I've submitted the optional rules for posting in the file section here, which hopefully help to address this. They require a bit of record-keeping but nothing major.

Nice to see the Vassal mod in action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.