Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Single player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Page
msg tools
Are there any games with a good single player mechanic?

I am preferably looking something with a small footprint that I can take camping this weekend. With this time frame it means I need a game I can easily get hold of in the UK before then.

I would also like something easy to learn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in the world of board games they are known as "solo" games.

Last year the users of Boardgamegeek voted on the 100 best solo games. Here are the results: 2015 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
(Your Name Here) and the Argonauts is free if you have a printer, only requires a die and 15 tokens and a pen, and has a very small footprint and a strong incentive to play it over and again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure doesn't use very much space; it's just a bag of dice, some cards and the few board tile circles.
This one has the adventage that you can invite up to six players, if you want to.

Die Legenden von Andor: Chada & Thorn a nice little card game, unfortunatelly there is still no English version. The in-game text is maderate though, and you can download a full english translation from the files section. Chada and Thorn is a cooperative two-player game wich can easily played solo.

Elder Sign has lots of different cards and tokens and some dice, but also doesn't use that much space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Don't know about availability for you but I'd recommend...

Hostage Negotiator

Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp

For Humanity (and Elder Sign) though I would actually recommend the app version over the physical game if that's an option. Also, don't overlook the versatility of a simple deck of cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmb
Tracyn wrote:
Are there any games with a good single player mechanic?

I am preferably looking something with a small footprint that I can take camping this weekend. With this time frame it means I need a game I can easily get hold of in the UK before then.

I would also like something easy to learn

Utopia Engine only requires dice and pencil. And you can print it out RIGHT NOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim (second edition) has a pretty small footprint and is easy to learn, not sure about UK availability though.

When I play Hostage Negotiator it takes about 2'x 2' of table space, so if that qualifies it's a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Friday. Happy camping .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Page
msg tools
RE: utopia engine

Have played that once before and found it a lil hard to keep track of how to work everything out.Will go back to it and see if further plays make it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+ 1 for Friday
also Catan the Dice game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmb
Tracyn wrote:
RE: utopia engine

Have played that once before and found it a lil hard to keep track of how to work everything out.Will go back to it and see if further plays make it easier.

I've never played it. It's on my list to try. I figured it was probably the easiest to tote along on a hiking trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also second Friday. It's exactly what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Tiny Epic Kingdoms with Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Heroes' Call for solo play
Multiuniversum
Clacks: A Discworld Board Game
Side Quest
Forbidden Island

These are all small footprint games that will not take up much luggage space or table space.

Feel free to join us over on the 1 Player Guild for many more good suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
msg tools
mb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Pandemic: The Cure doesn't use very much space; it's just a bag of dice, some cards and the few board tile circles.
This one has the adventage that you can invite up to six players, if you want to.

Die Legenden von Andor: Chada & Thorn a nice little card game, unfortunatelly there is still no English version. The in-game text is maderate though, and you can download a full english translation from the files section. Chada and Thorn is a cooperative two-player game wich can easily played solo.

Elder Sign has lots of different cards and tokens and some dice, but also doesn't use that much space.

And if you rebox it, it can take up even less space in a thematic way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invaders from Dimension X! comes in a ziploc OR as downloadable files you need to add dice but that's it. Light, solo-designed space-themed fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Deep Space D-6
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Stowaway 52, though it is more like a choose your own adventure book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elevenses for One

11 cards and there's a PNP version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.