Subject: Dead Drop event and only one character left in the building rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing a 3 player game and two characters had already escaped to the roof and the last character was still in the building carrying the final piece of loot (so we'd cracked all the safes). That character drew the Dead Drop event, which calls for the player to pass all their Tools and Loot to their player on the right. If all the other players are out of the game on the roof then would anything happen as a result of Dead Drop?

We ruled it thematically that there was unlikely to be a dead drop on the helipad on the roof so the effect of the cards would not apply.

In this case it would have been helpful as the remaining character only had one piece of Loot, being the one that reduces the number of actions the player can take to 3 (the Mirror?). We would have loved to shift to someone on the roof but it didn't feel right.

Any thoughts on this?

Apologies if I missed this anywhere - couldn't find anything in a search on the Rules forum or in the FAQ/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you played it right. Once players are on the roof, they're not even in the game any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above poster. But this reminded me of the time we played a 3p game, same situation, 2 were already on the roof, and we had not cracked the final safe. I was the one left in the building, and when I opened it... Gold Bars fell out.

We almost made it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
2 were already on the roof, and we had not cracked the final safe.

I'm pretty sure the rules say that nobody is allowed to leave the building before the final safe has been cracked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses, chaps. It's good to have it confirmed that we played it right.

Murr, as an aside you can only move to the roof once all the safes have been cracked.

Edit: Kevin beat me to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyuss wrote:

We ruled it thematically that there was unlikely to be a dead drop on the helipad on the roof so the effect of the cards would not apply.

Allow me to be the voice of dissent: do what the card says.

If you play things "thematically" in this game, you would start by turning over all the tiles, because what professional thieves are going to go on a job without the blueprints (or at least a rough idea of the layout and security setup)? And then you'd tie up the guards as you encountered them so that they wouldn't bother you again.

No. It's a game, and games have rules, and one of the rules in this game is "draw the card, do what it says."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbinjer wrote:
Kyuss wrote:

Allow me to be the voice of dissent: do what the card says.

If you play things "thematically" in this game, you would start by turning over all the tiles, because what professional thieves are going to go on a job without the blueprints (or at least a rough idea of the layout and security setup)? And then you'd tie up the guards as you encountered them so that they wouldn't bother you again.

No. It's a game, and games have rules, and one of the rules in this game is "draw the card, do what it says."

Whilst I entirely agree with this, another rule of the game is "once you're on the roof your game is over".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbinjer wrote:

Brett, I fully appreciate that and that is how I will play any and all games. But in this case the card says pass the Loot and Tools to the player on the right but because all the other players were on the roof they were out of the game. So there was no player to pass the stuff to. Thus our confusion, and thus this post. I'm sure you've played enough games to appreciate that any game has the possibility to have situations to occur that aren't clear from the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.