GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 132.92

7,782 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49% of Goal | left

Support:

Ashley Riddell
Norway
flag msg tools
My family started with TtREu and played it a lot, loved it, got the 1912 expansion, played it some more and always had a good time, introducing every stray guest and acquaintance to it at every opportunity. My wife, who is not a gamer, feel head over heels for it and it's her go to game. Ferries, stations and tunnels were all embraced and loved.

So, I pick up the original TtR on sale (wife wanted a DOUBLE set of trains to make a 2 player game last longer, a whole other story) and crack open the box. The family is keen to give a new map a spin...

...then comes the disappointment. "The map isn't as nice as Europe" (true) "where are the stations?" "why are these cards so damn small??!" "these tickets are not balanced at all.." (also true)

I beat a quick retreat and boxed it, ordered the 1910 expansion. Normal sized cards improved the mood considerably, as well as a better range and balance of tickets. Playing with at least 3 players it become a much more enjoyable game, but Europe was and is the first love so I have to gently prod to get the USA map out on deck, normally with the promise that we will use stations and only if there at least 3 players on deck.

Now, I would NOT recommend the original TtR as a purchase because of the crappy cramp inducing mini-cards and the broken balance of the tickets. Proof of this out of the box "broken-ness" is on clear display with the fantastic Anniversary edition which includes the 1910 expansion as the STANDARD set of cards and tickets. Days of Wonder really should just launch a new edition with normal sized cards and the 1910 tickets included, otherwise Europe will always be superior value for money.

For what its worth, I taught the family to play by NOT including ferries or tunnel rules during the first couple of rounds to get the rhythm of play correct. In other words, Ticket to Ride rules. Just added the rules in when they were ready and never looked back. They love tunnels, they think its hilarious when someone has 3 attempts to build one and fails every time.

Kill me now

The stations add a new strategy, that you have to be more than just a "spoiler" by blocking if you want to actually win. You get rewarded for taking a chance on bold construction projects. It feels like a more positive experience, without taking away the option of being a dick if you want to be.

In the end, it all comes down to taste and play style. We like a more constructive game without deliberate blocking. There is more than enough of that anyway without looking to make it happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the exact opposite feeling towards both games.

Love the original North American maps and rules, don't like Europe.

My personal opinion is that the tunnels and ferries add complexity and luck, but does not increase the level of strategy or tactics, nor does it increase the choice of players. This is complexity for the sake of complexity.

The stations i also find contrary to the spirit of TTR. Blocking routes is a big part of the game. Yet stations just offer an easy cop out to this and removes almost all the tension from the game.

As for components quality... well my North American version has much better components than Europe. That's probably because i have the 10th anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interesting perspective!

I don't have quite the same opposite reaction as the previous poster, but I am a big fan of USA. The 1910 expansion is indeed essential; USA Mega Game is still my favorite way to play Ticket. I consider Europe vanilla about equivalent to USA vanilla. I quite enjoy Europe, but I have a couple main issues with it. The first is the strategy; it feels almost too balanced because everyone gets a long route which they pretty much have to make to win, and it's hard to make many other routes without getting really lucky. USA vanilla obviously has the opposite issue, where the initial draw matters disproportionately, but both ends of the spectrum are legitimate issues. The 8-length is also a tad unbalanced on a map where there are comparatively few 5s and 6s. Further, I really don't like stations; I consider them a cheap cop-out that work against part of the tension of the game. I do like tunnels and ferries, though, which I think make decisions and planning more interesting.

Thanks again for the review. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
I have the exact opposite feeling towards both games.

Love the original North American maps and rules, don't like Europe.

My personal opinion is that the tunnels and ferries add complexity and luck, but does not increase the level of strategy or tactics, nor does it increase the choice of players. This is complexity for the sake of complexity.

The stations i also find contrary to the spirit of TTR. Blocking routes is a big part of the game. Yet stations just offer an easy cop out to this and removes almost all the tension from the game.

As for components quality... well my North American version has much better components than Europe. That's probably because i have the 10th anniversary edition.

You can always pimp out your components.

As for my tastes, the 1910 map is already a luckfest, so adding more luck to it wouldn't really make it "worse"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stations mean that someone can't truly ruin your entire plan with a single line claim, but they can inconvenience you since you lose both a turn to place the station and the points for it.

Tunnels, on the other hand, are mostly in poorly placed locations, which makes them awful for whoever has to use them. I guess we can blame the people who built towns hundreds of years ago for those locations though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
The stations mean that someone can't truly ruin your entire plan with a single line claim, but they can inconvenience you since you lose both a turn to place the station and the points for it.

Not to mention it also costs train cards to build (effectively undoing the turn(s) you took to pick them up), and can ruin your shot at Longest Route since you can't piggy back off another player's trains for the purposes of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I think the new Pennsylvania map trumps them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The UK and Pennsylvania map set is the best of the entire series hands down!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Seen it, but haven't played it. From what little I know of it, it seems like I'd like that the best among the TtR titles. TBF, the design team has probably been refining the TtR system ever since the US and Europe maps, so we have that "build up" to credit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:
Seen it, but haven't played it. From what little I know of it, it seems like I'd like that the best among the TtR titles. TBF, the design team has probably been refining the TtR system ever since the US and Europe maps, so we have that "build up" to credit.

And then they undid it with Rails and Sails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandelion
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
DANDELIONdandelionDANDELIONdandelionDANDELIONdandelionDANDELIONdandelion
badge
DANDELION dandelion DANDELION dandelion DANDELION dandelion DANDELION dandelion
mb
I like the europe map, but the stations kill it for me. Can't stand the way they make the game less interesting. W/o blocking, the game feels limp to me. Perhaps I would feel differently if I was a non or casual gamer, though. I understand that stations would make the game more palatable for them.

tunnels are minor, but just add randomness. enough of that already, I would think. Not necessary.

yes, mini cards are crap. 1910 made the game much less annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Riddell
Norway
flag msg tools
deedob wrote:

You might want to lead with that fact next time, buddy! I said the anniversary edition is the bomb! Thanks for the comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Savory Oliver wrote:
I like the europe map, but the stations kill it for me. Can't stand the way they make the game less interesting. W/o blocking, the game feels limp to me. Perhaps I would feel differently if I was a non or casual gamer, though. I understand that stations would make the game more palatable for them.

tunnels are minor, but just add randomness. enough of that already, I would think. Not necessary.

yes, mini cards are crap. 1910 made the game much less annoying.

So blocking is the exact sweet spot? Train stations make it too "easy", whereas something like Ticket to Ride: Alvin & Dexter would then be too much? If an add-on made it that you can destroy/raze other players' routes, that would be too much too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:

And then they undid it with Rails and Sails.

Have you tried it or is this just speculation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ranash1995 wrote:
Now, I would NOT recommend the original TtR as a purchase because of the crappy cramp inducing mini-cards

Each time I see this grievance adamantly expressed over the intervening years I marvel how many other games in my collection have the same cards without encountering complaints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Riddell
Norway
flag msg tools
TVis wrote:
ranash1995 wrote:
Now, I would NOT recommend the original TtR as a purchase because of the crappy cramp inducing mini-cards

Each time I see this grievance adamantly expressed over the intervening years I marvel how many other games in my collection have the same cards without encountering complaints.

Please refer to the original title of the thread. Europe is superior value for money straight out of the box. You get real cards, not minis all for the same outlay. To date the original TtR is the ONLY edition that uses mini cards. And NO one likes mini cards in ANY game that I have come across

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini cards are fine as long as you don't have to shuffle them a lot or hold several of of them in your hand. Games like Star Wars: Imperial Assault and Blood Bowl: Team Manager use them wisely, TTR does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.