$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Which is better for 2 players - base game Black Plague or standard Zombicide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
glyn spence
United Kingdom
rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

Looking to get Zombicide as our token Ameritrash game but torn between which version to get. I mostly play 2 player games with my wife and we like both settings but feel Black Plague has a few gameplay improvements. However, as Black Plague seems to be set up for 6 survivors and the original has a mix for 4/6 survivors - Im wondering if us controlling up to 3 characters each (if we go for BP) would mean we tend to split off during a game and so not get a true co operative experience/the point of buying this type of game.

Also I'm only looking to get the base game (we play euros typically so this will only come out infrequently) so which would people say is the most balanced out of the box.
Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if your characters split up on the board, you're still working together to try to achieve the mission objectives.

I'd personally suggest Zombicide Season 3: Rue Morgue. It alters the zombie spawning system to a number of dice- with four characters you can roll one fewer spawning die. Also it has Team Orders, which are additional actions all members of a team can do if they can do so together. That may also allow a 2/2 team of survivors to tackle a standard mission. And of course, you can still run 3/3 characters with those teams, it's pretty flexible. The zombies in that set are also a bit more interesting than the original's, or Black Plague's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew CARLESS
Italy
Inveruno
MILANO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Bear in mind that these are "sandbox" games.

I would go for the setting you prefer - Modern zombies or dungeon zombies? - and then use(adapt the rules to the one you buy.

There is NOTHING to prevent you using the "revised" missile-fire rules from BP in Zombicide base-game, for example. And there are loads of home-rules/modified rules to read and try out on this site and on others too.

For me, setting would swing it.

FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewcarless wrote:

BP dashboards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
longagoigo wrote:
andrewcarless wrote:

BP dashboards!

This. My GF and I play primarily 2 player games. The dashboards in BP make a huge difference in controlling multiple characters.

Personally, I prefer the BP theme a lot more then regular Zombicide. Even if this wasn't true, I would still say BP is better for 2p, primarily because of the dashboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glyn spence
United Kingdom
rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cheers I think BP is the one we will go for as like the setting slightly more and I imagine the dashboards would make management of multiple characters easier. Just need to make sure my wife is ok running 3 characters and we accept that if we choose to separate, we are still working for the final objective; so not "multiplayer solitaire".

Thanks for your input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I feel like the improvements in Black Plague (including the dashboards) make it a better version, so if you like both themes, get Black Plague. There are also a ton of additions you can get which change up the game (new heroes, crows, archers, bosses), and since it was so popular, if you want to expand in the future, you'll be able to get in on the kickstarter for BP season 2 (likely coming within the next year) and get all of the bonus stuff.

As for splitting off, what you'll find is that when you want to split off, likely it will be for very specific reasons, so you may end up with 2 groups, each of which contain 2 of one player's heroes, and one from the other player.

As for running 3 heroes, it's not any harder than running 2, and the dashboards with Black Plague make things a lot tidier than with the original versions. You can adjust the difficulty down in order to use 4 heroes by removing some spawn points, or rolling a 6 sided die for each spawn and only spawning on a 1-4. It's not perfect, but will allow you to play fewer characters. I don't know that I'd ever go for fewer than 4, the game really does require having a bunch of actions each round to deal with everything on the board, it doesn't scale well to a very small group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.