7 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reputation changes before or after interaction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Legion changes how reputation changes are applied, so they don't happen at the end of the turn.

Quote:
Note: If your action for the turn is interaction, you gain Influence (positive or negative) according to the Reputation track immediately once you start the interaction. Later changes to Reputation have no effect on the bonus or penalty you gained. In the base game, this was stressed by wording like “Reputation +1 at the end of your turn”. The new eƲ ects simply state “Reputation +1” or “Reputation -1”

I'm confused by the middle of this. So if I use the stronger effect of Intimidation (+5 influence, -1 rep) on a 5 point influence interaction, if the reputation drops to -1 as a result of this card does this mean I need to play an additional card to gain a 6th point of influence to pass the check?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are misinterpreting the note, which is intended to provide clarification.

You start interaction.
You modify influence by your reputation.
You finish up your interaction, spending influence however you like.
You modify your reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
Pretty sure they still happen at the end of your turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks. I was playing it correctly the the "clarification" completely threw me for a loop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The excerpt you quoted is quite clear: "you gain Influence (positive or negative) according to the Reputation track immediately once you start the interaction"

So, you stop at a Village, you declare "I am interacting" and your reputation is on 0-. You neither gain nor lose influence. If you subsequently play Threaten for the stronger effect, you get Influence 5. Your reputation will go to -1 at the end of the turn, but you have already applied the reputation effect.

What is still somewhat unclear is when this happens during movement, before interaction. Say that:

* Your position on the reputation track is 0-
* During movement you play Learning for its stronger effect
* you also activate the Thugs for Influence 4 and Reputation -1
* and play another card sideways for a total Influence 9.
* You gain an Advanced Action card in your hand; let's suppose it's a movement card that lets you arrive at a Monastery.
* You declare that you wish to interact at the Monastery. Your reputation bonus/penalty is applied now.
* You wish to play Promise for its basic effect to get influence 2 and buy 1 healing point.

The question is: because of the Thugs' ability, your Reputation will go to -1. Does this happen immediately or at the end of the turn, like Threaten states? If it happens immediately, i.e., during the movement phase, then in the action phase you will get -1 penalty. Nevertheless, my current interpretation is that it should work like Threaten for consistency and get -1 at the end of the turn. The "end of your turn" was most likely dropped due to space constraints.

Refer to the relevant discussions in the Mage Knight Board Game: Krang Character Expansion forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sams
msg tools
mbmbmb
I disagree with your interpretation, Jorge. I think the reason for end of turn reputation changes was to avoid confusion during interaction. Since that isn't the case here, I would rule that the Thugs reputation change takes effect before interaction and would therefore apply during interaction later that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
The excerpt you quoted is quite clear: "you gain Influence (positive or negative) according to the Reputation track immediately once you start the interaction"

I agree that this is very clear. It furthermore makes it irrelevant whether Reputation changes happen immediately or at the end of the turn for application during an interaction. Therefore whether Reputation changes happen immediately or at the end of the turn depends only on the exact wording of the relevant rule (which I don't have available at the moment). Unless there is a rule that actually says they are applied at the end of the turn, I would apply them immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.