Popular Tags: [View All]
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I just got the game and have played through the first scenario. I get confused about the skill & horror rolls. The app text will have a skill roll required. It will show the icon for a particular skill that needs to be tested. I got that. But the numbers following the icon confuse me. Sometimes there is no number, sometimes a 1 or 2 occasionally with a plus or minus sign. I don't seem to get what it wants me to do.

Then there are the horror rolls. Every turn I am asked to make one or more and I don't understand the mechanics. I guess I am 'rule book challanged'.

Any explanation, the more elementary the better, would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skill checks
(-skill icon-,2) means you need two successes to pass
(-skill icon- +1) means you get one extra die added to that skill. usually comes around when the number of successes matter (ex. do damage equal to test results)

When a monster is on the board, it will keep asking you to do horror checks. You will only do the check if the monster is in range of an investigator and there are no doors in between the two. To do the horror check when it asks, click on the monster that is triggering the horror check on bottom, and then ask it to resolve the test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The test difficulty is the number separated by a semicolon from the skill icon (RRG pg 18 under tests)

Example: blah blah blah strength;2

Look at character sheet determine strength
Grab that many dice and roll
Look at how many successes (elder sign symbols)
More than two before or after converting any
You pass

If a skill icon has a - or +, you look at your corresponding stat and add or subtract that many dice to form your dice pool.

Horror Check: (RRG pg 10)
See if any monsters are in range(RRG pg 15)
If multiple monsters find the one in range that has the highest horror rating(LtPG pg 14)
Click that monster in the monster drawer(RRG pg 13)
Click horror check, app tells you what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, negate means that fore each success you take one LESS damage/horror.

So say if the text says to take 3 horror faceup, willpower negated, and you roll your willpower of 3 dice (for example) and get two successes, you would take (3-2) Horror faceup, or, in otherwords, 1 Horror faceup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:

So say if the text says to take 3 horror faceup, willpower negated, and you roll your willpower of 3 dice (for example) and get two successes, you would take (3-2) Horror faceup, or, in otherwords, 1 Horror faceup.

So if it says take 3 horror faceup you would roll 3 successes, 2 horror = 2 successes and 1 horror = 1 success! And how many rolls you come up short is how many horror cards you take. I get it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the help! This is looking to be a pretty entertaining and challenging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
soakman wrote:

So if it says take 3 horror faceup you would roll 3 successes, 2 horror = 2 successes and 1 horror = 1 success! And how many rolls you come up short is how many horror cards you take. I get it. Thanks!

Only if you are allowed to negate it, the app will tell you as previously stated. If you just suffer 3 damage/horror you must take it without negating it. I was confused by this early on, only negate when the app tells you too. But yes, you negate as many damage/horror as you roll successes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:

Don't want to be pedantic but this might confuse some players.

You roll the number of dice for the given trait e.g. if your Will is 4, roll 4 dice.

Maybe you mean to say "you would need to roll 3 successes" - that might be clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
soakman wrote:

Sorry, but that's not right.

For a Horror check, the example is 'Take 3 Horror, Willpower negates'
You roll a number of dice equal to your character's Willpower stat.
For each success, you take 1 less Horror.
So, if you roll 1 success, you would only take 2 Horror. If you roll 3 successes, you don't take any Horror.
You may also use clues to convert 'clue' results to successes, as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is confusing. Which is weird as this is all explained pretty meticulously in the rules reference. Here is a summary of all the different things that the app will instruct you to do.

Where I say "Will", read the Will symbol. You can fill in any particular trait that the app is asking for.

"Test (Will; 2)" - You roll dice equal to your Will value. You pass the test when you roll 2 or more successes.

"Test (Will-1; 2)" - You roll 1 die less than your Will value. You still need 2 successes to pass

"Test (Will+1)" - Roll 1 die more than your Will value. When on the app, this is often accompanied with + and - signs. Simply use these to input your dice roll into the app and select confirm. When on a card, it will specifically tell you how to interpret your roll.

"Suffer 2 damage/horror, (Will) negates" - Roll dice equal to your Will value. Reduce the damage/horror suffered (2 in this case) by the amount rolled. So if you roll 2 or higher, you don't suffer anything; roll 1, you suffer 1 damage/horror; roll 0, suffer 2 damage/horror.

The +1 or -1 can of course be interchanged, omitted, or replaced by +2, -2, etc. Bottom line is that every number with a + or - sign is a modifier to the amount of dice you may roll. Numbers after a semicolon ( ; ) indicate the amount of successes you have to roll to pass the test.

Next question, horror tests are performed against the monster with the highest horror value (blue number on the monster token). When request by the app, select the monster in range with the highest horror value and confirm. Follow instructions and roll dice as explained above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Olson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Vardaine wrote:
This thread is confusing. Which is weird as this is all explained pretty meticulously in the rules reference. Here is a summary of all the different things that the app will instruct you to do.

Where I say "Will", read the Will symbol. You can fill in any particular trait that the app is asking for.

"Test (Will; 2)" - You roll dice equal to your Will value. You pass the test when you roll 2 or more successes.

"Test (Will-1; 2)" - You roll 1 die less than your Will value. You still need 2 successes to pass

"Test (Will+1)" - Roll 1 die more than your Will value. When on the app, this is often accompanied with + and - signs. Simply use these to input your dice roll into the app and select confirm. When on a card, it will specifically tell you how to interpret your roll.

"Suffer 2 damage/horror, (Will) negates" - Roll dice equal to your Will value. Reduce the damage/horror suffered (2 in this case) by the amount rolled. So if you roll 2 or higher, you don't suffer anything; roll 1, you suffer 1 damage/horror; roll 0, suffer 2 damage/horror.

The +1 or -1 can of course be interchanged, omitted, or replaced by +2, -2, etc. Bottom line is that every number with a + or - sign is a modifier to the amount of dice you may roll. Numbers after a semicolon ( ; ) indicate the amount of successes you have to roll to pass the test.

Next question, horror tests are performed against the monster with the highest horror value (blue number on the monster token). When request by the app, select the monster in range with the highest horror value and confirm. Follow instructions and roll dice as explained above.

Thanks, I "Think" I understand, but let me pose a scenario that I am trying to interpret:

The app reads: "Suffer 2 FD Damage (OBS-1 negates)" Agatha has an OBS (3). Does this mean she only rolls 2 die instead of 3? So if she rolled 2 successes, then no damage?

On the flip side if it instead (for example) read "Suffer 2 FD Damage (OBS+1 negates), then Agatha would roll 4 die (3 OBS +1) and still need 2 successes to avoid damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaysonOl wrote:
Thanks, I "Think" I understand, but let me pose a scenario that I am trying to interpret:

The app reads: "Suffer 2 FD Damage (OBS-1 negates)" Agatha has an OBS (3). Does this mean she only rolls 2 die instead of 3? So if she rolled 2 successes, then no damage?

On the flip side if it instead (for example) read "Suffer 2 FD Damage (OBS+1 negates), then Agatha would roll 4 die (3 OBS +1) and still need 2 successes to avoid damage?

That's right. (And if you got one success, you'd only take one damage)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, Jayson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.