GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 104.1

6,530 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Maik L.
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello, I have a quite specific question about the "Curse of the dark Pharao"-expansion. While I think that thematically it is as interesting as the king in yellow I encountered the same problem some other people seem to have already encountered before. To make it short: if you want the full flavor of the expansion (with herald + exhibition items etc. and perhaps with the traveling variant also) the herald-rules will probably tend to demotivate everybody to search out the exhibition items.

Now I see that there are 2 mythos-cards which require you to own and to collect these items but nevertheless they tend to not matter so much (only 2 cards of how many?). So my question is: Are there additional scenario/variant rules for the expansion which for example require the investigators to own one relict each to successfully close every/the last gate? Or something similiar?

This would be a way to actually strengthen the thematic coherence of the game in my eyes and could also (with differing requirements) make something like the cult-cards in the "Goat"-expansion more interesting. So I guess I am potentially also speaking about additional winning-conditions for the different thematic expansions...

Well, I am sure there has been talk about this topic before so I thought I should ask what the community thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maik L wrote:
For example it could be required that the investigators own one relict each to successfully close every/the last gate? Or something similiar? This would be a way to actually strengthen the thematic coherence of the game in my eyes.

I guess that's the way to go - come up with some such variant or house rule to counter that tendency when the herald is in play. And one of the good things about AH is that such modifications are so easy to implement. Just come up with a short thematic introduction why the investigators need to secure a certain amount of Exhibit Items (or, to make it even harder, a very specific Item!) before they can win and off you go. If it turns out too difficult, you might try to offset it by slightly changing the winning conditions in their favor or granting them some other advantage.

Actually, yesterday I played Scenario 4 of the Arkham Horror Spanish League (Season 1) campaign. It has the CotDP expansion and the Pharaoh herald in play and while it doesn't do much about the Exhibit Item problem, it has another interesting thing going: at the beginning of the game, every investigator is either cursed and dealt a Benefit or blessed and dealt a Detriment. Just another way how cards/elements that don't get used often might be given more prominence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik L.
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you for your answer and the tips concerning the problem I encountered. Today I did take a look at the league-scenarios and some of the fan-made materials and overall I find them interesting and inspired. Yet, when it comes to the more "simple" idea of enhancing (expansion)themes via scenarios with additional winning conditions, it seems that you are right and I will have to think about it myself. If I come to any interesting conclusion maybe I just post it here.
Normally I never do houserules etc. but Arkham seems to hit the right spot. Oh my...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, you should post it if you come up with something interesting. I'm always looking for new scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.