Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is it worth expanding? [No spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
We're a couple of games in and haven't opened any packets yet.

From what I've noticed, everyone spreads out in the first few turns attempting to take either NA, SA, E, A, or AUS, but they rarely hold it until their turn as noone wants to let anyone else get a continent bonus. As noone really has 11+ territories, we still all only get 3 reinforcements per turn which are usually killed attacking/defending continents, only for the continent to be lost again.

When people trade cards in, they then stockpile their troops in one or two places, and try and make a blitz for the HQs.

Since expanding means you have to occupy that territory with at least 1 troop, and as you only start with 8, you're chances of blitzing early suffers as you expand more and more. Not to mention territories with 1 unit in are targets for people who just want a resource card.

Would it be a viable strategy to place your HQ near others, but not to move out at all, taking 3 reinforcements per turn (+1 for KI) and biding your time until everyone is weak? It's unlikely anyone will try to attack all your troops in one territory unless they want to risk both of you losing.

Of course you might want to attack a single territory to gain a resource card, and then move them back to the hq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously a lot depends on the number of players, positioning of the HQs, and scars on the map, but my general advice would be slow growth: moderate expansion into a few territories, but with enough troops left on the borders to deter attackers. The main reasons to hold more territory than just your HQ are to deny others' continent bonuses and to collect better resource cards, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This balance between offense and defense is one of the hardest things to master in Risk. You can expand until you have one troop in each territory and do it every single turn. But that reduces your defense options to nearly nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here are my 2c. First you want to get a card every turn you possibly can. The longer the campaign goes on the more coins are on cards and the more valuable they become. I would plan my turns around "how can I most efficiently get a card this turn while not leaving myself open for counter-attacks".

As for expanding and taking a continent, I would only do this if I felt strongly that I could keep it. Otherwise you are just encouraging someone else to attack you, they gain a card, and you still don't get the continent bonus. There really is no advantage in expanding unless you get a bonus of some sort or you need to in order to gain a card or an additional troop bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, you need enough troops to secure it.

But... if your real goal is completing a mission, it might be worth it anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Would it be a viable strategy to place your HQ near others, but not to move out at all, taking 3 reinforcements per turn (+1 for KI) and biding your time until everyone is weak? It's unlikely anyone will try to attack all your troops in one territory unless they want to risk both of you losing.

This is a great way to not finish last, but not a great way to finish first, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depends on factions. If the other guy is Bears and gets higher initiative..... You might start your first turn by respawning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.