7 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » General

Subject: Weight: Stone Age vs. Istanbul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know these games have not so much in common, except their BGG weight rating and the fact that they both feature beautiful components and aren't 100% deterministic.

So hereare my questions: Is Istanbul or Stone Age the meatier game? Which one has more replay-value/variety in different plays?

Normally I play a little heavier thematic games like Descent 2.0, Star Wars Imperial Assault, RuneWars, Mage Knight and so on. The most euro-style game of my collection is Archipelago (apart from Catan), which was a little bit too heavy for the gaming group I plan to play Stone Age or Istanbult with (Archipelago not Catan of course ), but not by much.

So which one of these shorter medium weight games do you recommend, or do you recommend another game alltogether? Generally I was just looking for a medium weight euro-style game with a non-fantasy theme (but beautiful artwork that draws you into the game) that isn't much longer than 90min when played with 4 or 5 people and I thought worker placement and whatever Istanbul is, would be a nice and fresh expirience for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would say Istanbul is the meatier of the two. Istanbul is trying to find the most efficient route given the initial set-up. So that is the replay value there.

Stone Age is more about how the cards and tiles come up. But you are still doing the same motions each and every game.

Both have an expansion but Istanbul has one more coming up at the moment. I feel like Istanbul's expansion really changed up how you thought about the game whereas Stone Age, offered some new things but was mostly just the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with other brian.

Stone Age is certainly the more straight forward game. It may prove more challenging in gauging your opponents and gambling on a sequence of multiple choices.

Istanbul, however, requires weighing options that are slightly more complex while planning somewhat more abstract movement around an arrangement of options differing from game to game.

I can't say I enjoy one less than the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both games, but would agree with the above that Istanbul is slightly heavier and has more variety in its replayability, if using a randomised setup.

I would use Stone Age as an introduction to the worker placement mechanic to people who've played a few other gateway games (although probably not as the first game to a non-gamer), whereas Istanbul has a lot more to remember and can be a little confusing to new gamers.

I tend to play the same strategy in each game of Stone Age, but my strategy varies a fair bit in Istanbul based on the initial layout of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx a lot for all your quick and insightfull responses.

I looked a little bit more into the worker placement genre and found that "The Pillars of the Earth" has a higher weight rating than both Istanbul and Stone Age, yet it seems PotE has even less "player interaction/reaction" mechanics than these two games and is seldomly recommended over Stone Age, because of it's static strategies (although this might be connected to it's high american price, but I can get it for less than stone age).

So is Pillars of the Earth really more involved with strategies and tactics than Stone Age and Istanbul as the geek weight-rating would suggest? or is this a some sort of statistical hickup (as it's just 0.3 apart).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
thx a lot for all your quick and insightfull responses.

I looked a little bit more into the worker placement genre and found that "The Pillars of the Earth" has a higher weight rating than both Istanbul and Stone Age, yet it seems PotE has even less "player interaction/reaction" mechanics than these two games and is seldomly recommended over Stone Age, because of it's static strategies (although this might be connected to it's high american price, but I can get it for less than stone age).

So is Pillars of the Earth really more involved with strategies and tactics than Stone Age and Istanbul as the geek weight-rating would suggest? or is this a some sort of statistical hickup (as it's just 0.3 apart).

Stone Age is a better game than Pillars. The big hang-up with Pillars is the static resolution - the path is always resolved in order every time. I like the freedom that Stone Age, and most WPs give you in that you can choose what you need to do for that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Riddell
Norway
flag msg tools
I have to agree that Stone Age is lighter, yet more fun than Pillars. The best way to think of Stone Age is that when you strip it back to its core elements, it really has a lot in common with Backgammon(!)

Hear me out. It's a worker placement with a dice roller mechanic for resolution of resources. Crappy dice rolls are no fun, but are not the determining factor in winning or losing as poor rolls can be mitigated by planning and modifier upgrades (tools, farming, more meeples)

It's got multiple pathways to victory, has some spice and risk from the rolling but still rewards the best player 9 out of 10 times.

And that's the crux of it. A good Backgammon player will always beat a novice, same is true with Stone Age. Give it a whirl over at boardgame arena (or just watch a game being played) to get the feel of it.

Recommended, much better than it is often given credit for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.