$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 76.12

5,175 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
32.6% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Horro Checks Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teong Teh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hi,

Would like confirm whether did i played this correctly.

If i have more than 1 investigator whom will perform horror check against the same monster so i just need to perform once?

So i pick the best stats and perform once the check and pass or fail for all?


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Charlebois
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
This is incorrect. In the rules it states "each" investigator within range performs a horror check and then resolves for themselves. So investigator A passes, and B fails, B would resolve whatever is in the scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
teha123 wrote:
Hi,

Would like confirm whether did i played this correctly.

If i have more than 1 investigator whom will perform horror check against the same monster so i just need to perform once?

So i pick the best stats and perform once the check and pass or fail for all?




You activate the horror check for the monster once, but that same effect is applied to all investigators within range. This save on time, not having to constantly cycle through horror checks for the same monster. This also makes sense thematically, since in theory, each investigator is experiencing the same event.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If there are multiple investigators who need to do a horror check against the same monster, you bring up the horror check for that monster ONCE (in the app) but EACH INVESTIGATOR must do the horror test with their own stats.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, both investigators resolve the same horror test, but each investigator needs to roll separately using their own stats.

So you don't need to bring up multiple tests on the app, but you can't roll twice and apply the best result to both investigators. Each investigator rolls, so both can fail, both can pass, or 1 can pass and the other fail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
In this case, both investigators resolve the same horror test, but each investigator needs to roll separately using their own stats.

So you don't need to bring up multiple tests on the app, but you can't roll twice and apply the best result to both investigators. Each investigator rolls, so both can fail, both can pass, or 1 can pass and the other fail.



ooopssss....we've been doing that wrong. No wonder we keep getting wounded and driven insane so early in the game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
Vardaine wrote:
In this case, both investigators resolve the same horror test, but each investigator needs to roll separately using their own stats.

So you don't need to bring up multiple tests on the app, but you can't roll twice and apply the best result to both investigators. Each investigator rolls, so both can fail, both can pass, or 1 can pass and the other fail.



ooopssss....we've been doing that wrong. No wonder we keep getting wounded and driven insane so early in the game


Could you please elaborate as to what you been doing instead?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume he was resolving a separate check per monster. I was doing so too.

I just noticed the note in the Horror Step section that indicates you do indeed just need the same test for each Investigator.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I assume he was resolving a separate check per monster. I was doing so too.


That's what I thought at first. But then I doesn't really explain why he would be driven insane more quickly than otherwise. As performing a separate check for each investigator does nothing for game balance but give you another text snippet to read and a different test to perform.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
That's what I thought at first. But then I doesn't really explain why he would be driven insane more quickly than otherwise. As performing a separate check for each investigator does nothing for game balance but give you another text snippet to read and a different test to perform.

I had the same second thoughts. But I also assume that it's the typical mindset that if you've been playing a rule wrong, that explains all the bad luck you've had, even if its provably your original method was no better or worse than the correct one. devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teong Teh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Understood!! Thanks everyone
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
Clipper wrote:
I assume he was resolving a separate check per monster. I was doing so too.


That's what I thought at first. But then I doesn't really explain why he would be driven insane more quickly than otherwise. As performing a separate check for each investigator does nothing for game balance but give you another text snippet to read and a different test to perform.


Example--First test if failed is 2 horror. 2nd investigator resolves separate check, this time fail is 3 horror, so 2nd investigator takes one more horror than necessary. That extra horror can add up if it happens a few turns in a row, especially with a broken arm .

(I suppose that you could get a weaker horror check for the 2nd investigator, but it seemed to be the opposite the couple of games we played. We'll probably play another game over the weekend, so I'll see how it goes playing it correctly).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely just bad luck, I think. The horror checks seem to be randomly picked from a list for each monster type and I don't think they get stronger as you go.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.