6,303 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a game I really can't wrap my head around. You play cards (in a funny voice), the artwork becomes like a panorama (neat!), the humour would float some peoples' boats (not mine, but I didn't hate it), and the artwork is unique. But the gameplay?

Dear heavens. The gameplay.

There is no strategy. My first game, I managed to die before even casting my first spell. Note this was no fault of my own (obviously - I hadn't even made a move), and I was just...dead. I then proceeded to sit for 20 minutes while the other five players played until they died, doing nothing except staring morbidly and collecting one dead card every time they finished a round. I then came back to life, the dead cards barely helped again, and I died in the second round this time.

No strategy. None. No actual gameplay. None. No fun. Well, at least for me.

Every time I look at my rating for this game, I end up lowering it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know what went wrong there, but I have never had a game like that. In fact, during most of out games it's a little hard to knock a player out. By the time the first player is eliminated, everyone else is about out of life as well. Usually the game only last 3 or 4 rounds after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
I don't know what went wrong there, but I have never had a game like that. In fact, during most of out games it's a little hard to knock a player out. By the time the first player is eliminated, everyone else is about out of life as well. Usually the game only last 3 or 4 rounds after that.

See, that doesn't sound so bad. Like, the game was not to my taste in general, but it would have been more of a 5 if it hadn't had such an absurd amount of downtime and unpreventable immediate player elimination. The game only went three full rounds, I think (like for three tokens? One player won twice pretty fast), and I played well under 1/4 of the possible spells in the game...and when I got healing spells in my hand I used them 100% of the time, with as many dice as I could make my cards allow...and I still died almost immediately. It wasn't even intentional targeting - the cards targeted me, not the players (okay, sometimes the players, but not mainly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't track with my experience at all. I'm trying to imagine a spell that could kill someone on the first turn. It's remotely possible to do more than 10 damage with a single spell, but ...?

I will say that with four or more players, the "fast match," where you play only three bouts ("games") and award tokens for kills as well as "last wizard standing," is definitely the way to go, to keep this game from outstaying its welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
This doesn't track with my experience at all. I'm trying to imagine a spell that could kill someone on the first turn. It's remotely possible to do more than 10 damage with a single spell, but ...?

I will say that with four or more players, the "fast match," where you play only three bouts ("games") and award tokens for kills as well as "last wizard standing," is definitely the way to go, to keep this game from outstaying its welcome.

We were playing with 5, which may have been part of it. I think three spells hit me, and I was a goner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
Carthoris wrote:

We were playing with 5, which may have been part of it. I think three spells hit me, and I was a goner

Ah, yeah. I get it. Although I've played with four, and we didn't have that problem, I mostly play one-on-one with my tween daughter. (She can handle the potty humor.) You might think that the constrained targeting would flatten out the game at two, but it doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the game, but yes, it is common in my experiences for someone to die in round 2. But it can potentually be prevented.

The round 1 death was a rare anomaly. That had to be the perfect storm of everyones spells either directly or indirectly targeting you and all rolls hitting you for max damage.
That has to suck to die without getting a turn.

But usually you get one or 2 turns at least, and the rest of the players death's arent far behind.

If any round ends and you're beat to crap and close to death, play smaller or quicker spells to get to act before anyone else and hopefully get a few points of healing in.

If you are at 10 or less life and play a slower spell, you are asking for death if there are 5+ players.

Healing is your best friend. Often times I see the winner is the one who healed a few points and weathered the storm as the foes beat themselves to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We see round 1 deaths occasionally, but that's part of why you are supposed to play rounds quickly and multiple battles in row with whomever getting killed off getting a progressive number bonuses for the next round based on how early they get killed off.

There's a lot to dislike about the game -- the art style, the particular humor, there's a ton of luck/randomness-- so just be OK with the fact that you don't like it. It's clearly meant to be a pretty random and silly game. It's a little like the second phase of Galaxy Trucker where part of the fun is watching disasters unfurl and plans backfire.

And partially because of that you shouldn't have a lot of downtime. If players are taking this game so seriously that they have AP then yeah, this game just isn't for your group.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
We see round 1 deaths occasionally, but that's part of why you are supposed to play rounds quickly and multiple battles in row with whomever getting killed off getting a progressive number bonuses for the next round based on how early they get killed off.

There's a lot to dislike about the game -- the art style, the particular humor, there's a ton of luck/randomness-- so just be OK with the fact that you don't like it. It's clearly meant to be a pretty random and silly game. It's a little like the second phase of Galaxy Trucker where part of the fun is watching disasters unfurl and plans backfire.

And partially because of that you shouldn't have a lot of downtime. If players are taking this game so seriously that they have AP then yeah, this game just isn't for your group.

E

Yeah, it really wasn't my group - it's my boyfriend's friends who love the game, and oh my goodness, they played so slow! My group might be better with it, but yeah I saw some AP I think which was weird... If I hadn't had to sit for at least 20 minutes after being instantly eliminated that would have helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mellie D
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think there is a bit of strategy, the first turn hurts - been there and it sucks hardcore - but if you're half health or less on the second turn, you want to play a smaller spell to ensure you go first. Playing a primal source/quality for healing, or a card that lets you add more cards afterwards. We played last night and I was left with 2 health after the first round, so I made sure I got to go first in the next round with a 2-card spell with high initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Marshall
msg tools
mbmb
alexangiraffe wrote:
This is a game I really can't wrap my head around. You play cards (in a funny voice), the artwork becomes like a panorama (neat!), the humour would float some peoples' boats (not mine, but I didn't hate it), and the artwork is unique. But the gameplay?

Dear heavens. The gameplay.

There is no strategy. My first game, I managed to die before even casting my first spell. Note this was no fault of my own (obviously - I hadn't even made a move), and I was just...dead. I then proceeded to sit for 20 minutes while the other five players played until they died, doing nothing except staring morbidly and collecting one dead card every time they finished a round. I then came back to life, the dead cards barely helped again, and I died in the second round this time.

No strategy. None. No actual gameplay. None. No fun. Well, at least for me.

Every time I look at my rating for this game, I end up lowering it.

This was exactly my experience and ended in the exact same hard feelings. I hate this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.