26.4% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is loving the heck out of this game and I am looking at ramping up the difficulty. We used the Advanced rule of using the Map tile specific encounters but while I was rereading the rules, the Map tile specific encounter is in ADDITION to any other encounters (we hadn't been adding it, just using that one alone)

I am also thinking about adding the Advanced Dynamite rules where characters can get blown up more easily. We might consider the addition of extra elites on top of what we normally use.

Finally, we are using just a single set of corridors and junctions. I have both base sets, Cynder and Trederra. Would adding all of the corridors and junctions increase the chance of the Darkness escaping the mine? It would increase the number of Hold Back the Darkness rolls. I can't remember if you advance the Hero marker on the depth track for corridors. If so, on some missions where the objective is located after X rooms, that might shorten the time in the mines.

What have you guys found the best way in increase the difficulty. Which methods have you tried and really don't add enough of a challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian Souvey

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try adding badlands yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
I don't remember who made it but I've been using this and it significantly helps.

Hero Level 1 (R): +1 Revive token at the start of each Adventure
Hero Level 2 (1E): 1 Elite Ability
Hero Level 3 (2E): 2 Elite Abilities
Hero Level 4 (2E2H): 2 Elite Abilities and Double Health
Hero Level 5 (B1E2H): Brutal, 1 Elite Ability and Double Health
Hero Level 6 (B2E2H): Brutal, 2 Elite Abilities and Double Health
Hero Level 7 (B4E2H): Brutal, 4 Elite Abilities and Double Health
Hero Level 8 (B6E3H): Brutal, 6 Elite Abilities and Triple Health

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pyrefly1986 wrote:
try adding badlands yet?

I have not yet. I do have it and was going to try it once we headed up to the Badlands in Hexcrawl. I'll have to look at that again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about for any groups of larger than 3, one is cast to a brutal.

Also cover should help out:

I'm going to try making intervening figures cover(5+). It's a bit of bookkeeping, but if the cover is hit, that figure takes the hit. It just makes no sense that you have to treat a tank trap as cover, but not 6 slashers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
njep wrote:

I'm going to try making intervening figures cover(5+). It's a bit of bookkeeping, but if the cover is hit, that figure takes the hit. It just makes no sense that you have to treat a tank trap as cover, but not 6 slashers.

I mean... this generally isn't an issue, as the players usually have to target whatever is adjacent to them.

Unless, of course, you mean to make enemy ranged attacks risk hitting other monsters, which will make things a lot easier on the posse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
njep wrote:

I mean... this generally isn't an issue, as the players usually have to target whatever is adjacent to them.

Unless, of course, you mean to make enemy ranged attacks risk hitting other monsters, which will make things a lot easier on the posse

The tried and true tactic of bottlenecking never made sense to me. We now have it that a crate and barrel amount to cover 5+. When a Rancher is standing behind a Saloon Girl and a Marshal, they can shoot through their bodies, through 4 hungry dead, and target those corpse piles 12 spaces away. I would think either the Marshal, the first hungry dead, or even the fourth hungry dead should make it harder to shoot the corpse pile.

Now in general the ranged enemies appear on their own with few exceptions. So shootout works since they should have a funnel to the posse who are at the doorway, and I would think it to be typical tactics to side step in order for them to clear a line of sight. So most of the time, shootout enemies will not be shooting through their allies.

Assault admittedly is where the issue comes in. Since they will probably get their free shot and move to melee. That is the only rule that will need some reworking. However that skill belongs to the most tactical minded of all enemies, being the Trun and the Trederrans, so I think the Assault needs refinement where they will not move to close off any possible line of sight(this is a simple caveat to the tactics that they will not move to a bottleneck). Think of games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls where your allie jumps in front of your shot or fireball. This is generally not a good tactic and results in some fun language.

If you don't bottleneck, or are playing with a posse of only 2, then this would be a highly marginal difficulty change(either easier or harder depending on if you have a melee person that can clear out 2 or more enemies in one round). Also you can break away with a couple of bandanas or other skills in order to ensure free targeting.

I could come up with a few dozen justifications(and I'm sure reverse justifications), however, it really boils down to the fact that I just don't like the idea of multiple models log-jammed in front of a shooter producing no obstruction.

But as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I should really do a game report trying it. It may just be a wash and come down to minimal difficulty change with a lot of book-keeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
njep wrote:
Cooperton wrote:
njep wrote:

The tried and true tactic of bottlenecking never made sense to me. We now have it that a crate and barrel amount to cover 5+. When a Rancher is standing behind a Saloon Girl and a Marshal, they can shoot through their bodies, through 4 hungry dead, and target those corpse piles 12 spaces away. I would think either the Marshal, the first hungry dead, or even the fourth hungry dead should make it harder to shoot the corpse pile.

Now in general the ranged enemies appear on their own with few exceptions. So shootout works since they should have a funnel to the posse who are at the doorway, and I would think it to be typical tactics to side step in order for them to clear a line of sight. So most of the time, shootout enemies will not be shooting through their allies.

Assault admittedly is where the issue comes in. Since they will probably get their free shot and move to melee. That is the only rule that will need some reworking. However that skill belongs to the most tactical minded of all enemies, being the Trun and the Trederrans, so I think the Assault needs refinement where they will not move to close off any possible line of sight(this is a simple caveat to the tactics that they will not move to a bottleneck). Think of games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls where your allie jumps in front of your shot or fireball. This is generally not a good tactic and results in some fun language.

If you don't bottleneck, or are playing with a posse of only 2, then this would be a highly marginal difficulty change(either easier or harder depending on if you have a melee person that can clear out 2 or more enemies in one round). Also you can break away with a couple of bandanas or other skills in order to ensure free targeting.

I could come up with a few dozen justifications(and I'm sure reverse justifications), however, it really boils down to the fact that I just don't like the idea of multiple models log-jammed in front of a shooter producing no obstruction.

But as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I should really do a game report trying it. It may just be a wash and come down to minimal difficulty change with a lot of book-keeping.

I'd like to see a game report with you using it. It's definitely a lot of book keeping in a game that already has tons of rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pyrefly1986 wrote:
try adding badlands yet?

Did this...and oh my the difficulty goes off scale , but only if you decide to go into the Badlands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, many of the enemy packs have TOUGH as an ability, so they are immune to critical hits. The Dark Stone Brutes have a particular mention in my collection.... Otherwise, eliminate all Hero Critical hits, or give Criticals to enemies also, ignoring the Defence of the Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Others have covered some good ways of upping the difficulty but also adding in different monster types is a good one too. Although this incurs further expense the enemy packs seem to contain more difficult enemies by and large.

okiedokie wrote:
My group is loving the heck out of this game and I am looking at ramping up the difficulty. We used the Advanced rule of using the Map tile specific encounters but while I was rereading the rules, the Map tile specific encounter is in ADDITION to any other encounters (we hadn't been adding it, just using that one alone)

While the themed Encounters are very cool I would caution against doing this because then you're going to see all those events frequently and they become a little boring. Our first few games we did this but now I've houseruled it so that when I flip the Exploration Token over if it has an Encounter we just do a regular one but if it has an Attack then we do the special room Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. I'll try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
jonahmaul wrote:
While the themed Encounters are very cool I would caution against doing this because then you're going to see all those events frequently and they become a little boring. Our first few games we did this but now I've houseruled it so that when I flip the Exploration Token over if it has an Encounter we just do a regular one but if it has an Attack then we do the special room Encounter.

We have so many mine tiles that we see none of those any more than the random set. With Swamps, Targa and Cynder, there are so many mine tiles we're not sure if we've even seen all of them yet. Adding Treddara and, well, I'm really excited that they are putting something *other* than mines on the backs of new otherworlds!

And with more otherworlds, we don't see the individual worlds quite so often, so it doesn't hit there for us.

It all adds so much theme to the tiles instead of just being a shape. Now when we walk into the lake (round of groans) or the dark stone sphere ("do we have to?") there's an association with the tile instead of "just another tile with a random event".

This also ups the difficulty by a random amount as the events add their own troubles. Since we pull the unique encounter for the room regardless of the exploration token, we get some unique combinations for the story - such as pulling the boss card in a room that summoned an epic card. Interrupting that occurrence was... painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

It all adds so much theme to the tiles instead of just being a shape. Now when we walk into the lake (round of groans) or the dark stone sphere ("do we have to?") there's an association with the tile instead of "just another tile with a random event"

Unfortunately the 'oh no we've walked in to so and so tile' is a case of 'we know exactly what is coming because we've done this Encounter before' rather than a sense of dread from knowing that a particular tile is going to be more problematic. Personally this isn't something I like and would much prefer it if there was a more random element to what happened on those tiles (although the only way I can think of doing that is having even more decks with each unique room having a mini deck so that you know something bad is going to happen but not exactly what will happen each and every time). I don't have Cynder and have only played around half a dozen games and have already seen some of them a couple of times each before I decided to use my houserule so that I wouldn't get bored of seeing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
rpvt wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:

It all adds so much theme to the tiles instead of just being a shape. Now when we walk into the lake (round of groans) or the dark stone sphere ("do we have to?") there's an association with the tile instead of "just another tile with a random event"

Unfortunately the 'oh no we've walked in to so and so tile' is a case of 'we know exactly what is coming because we've done this Encounter before' rather than a sense of dread from knowing that a particular tile is going to be more problematic. Personally this isn't something I like and would much prefer it if there was a more random element to what happened on those tiles (although the only way I can think of doing that is having even more decks with each unique room having a mini deck so that you know something bad is going to happen but not exactly what will happen each and every time). I don't have Cynder and have only played around half a dozen games and have already seen some of them a couple of times each before I decided to use my houserule so that I wouldn't get bored of seeing them.

We found the same issue with Advanced Encounters, and use a slightly modified version. If there's an Advanced Encounter, we simply draw an extra random Encounter from the deck. This still gets us additional Encounters, but not predictable/repetitive ones. And it saves us the trouble of keeping a separate Advanced Encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.