Blitz! A World in Conflict» Forums » Strategy

Subject: USSR strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn H
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi all,

After a recent Blitz session this weekend where the USSR was far behind in points I started to look through their VPs more carefully. Seems like they are all pretty tough to score consistently. Should the USSR aim for factories towards the end?

Has anyone 'won' as the USSR here? How can it be done? Any strategic hints?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I try not to speak to "what is a good strategy" questions because (a) I don't know them all and (b) those I do know, I want to let players have the fun of exploring. That said, I will say that the USSR can benefit probably more than USA or AFA from taking Axis factories.

Yes I have seen the USSR win. Buffer Zone, Red Army, Annihilate Fascists and Factories were part of the winning mix, as I recall.

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I was in that game with Bjorn as the AFA (he won as Germany) and we agreed that the USSR in particular and possibly also the AFA have challenging victory conditions.

My take is that both Churchill and Stalin will prosper if either a, Germany plays too defensively, is incompetent, or has bad luck. In those cases both those allied powers will win, and early. If those cases do not apply and Germany is successful/aggressive then especially Stalin has to strike back and turn the tables as quickly as possible - if this takes too long then the USSR will not win. The US, on the other hand, seems less dependent on this and can build a vp pool on their own, as it were.

I have started a new solo game and will test these and some other hypotheses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Burkley
United States
Hillsborough
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played the 3-player game (Europe). The AFA has a great opportunity to gain VPs early, but since he also plays the US position, those VPs get diluted, as the US does get get any VPs early in the game.
If Germany is aggressive and attentive, there are opportunities to grab extra resources and oil, once the AFA position is pressed hard and their resources get low, such that they can't replace all their losses. The USSR player can preempt some of those opportunities by declaring war on some of the minor countries, such as Persia, and grab those oil resources before the AFA or Germany can. Timing is important, as is figuring out if the German strategy is primarily against the AFA or the USSR. The negative side to this strategy is the impact on US entry into the war, and the prospect of getting the lion's share of attention from Germany, if the German player sees any advantage to attacking the USSR while its adventuring in minor countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn H
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking mostly about how to win an individual victory as the USSR in a 5-player campaign game.

Good to hear Dave, that it can be done!

Especially "Five year plan" seems very hard to get. The Soviets only have 7 resources/oil in the USSR itself and before turn 10 (which it has to be for the VP to kick in) one resource is either going to be sent to Germany as trade or Germany will have taken at least Ukraine if they are at war (assuming Germany knows how to play the game). That leaves 6 resources realistically within the USSR for use. They can get extra resources in the Near East, Turkey and Manchuria. But to get 3 before turn 9 and have the USSR war status at at least 9 seems very tough. This can probably only be done if the Axis players are playing quite aggressively from the start. Once at war, the USSR will lose resource areas quickly unless the Axis is doing something very wrong. Granted, they can get some from LL but again, to get up to 9 before turn 9 seems very tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bjorn, 5 Year Plan may include stuff received from Lend Lease. Complain early and often to the AFA and USA that you are about to die unless they give more ... a lot more :-).

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
On a slightly different note I believe the person playing the USSR in a 5-player game needs to be endowed with great patience. We noticed that Stalin has markedly less to do than all the other players and if he gets too frustrated may resort to ill-advised attacks out of boredom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.