$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 110.9

6,837 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
43.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Knight's Shield rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding the Knight's Shield ability correctly. On the board, it says: "You cannot be moved by other players. Each time you lose Grit, you lose only one."

This all seems straightforward, but in our last playthrough - it almost seemed overpowered. For one cube, the Knight defends against multiple Spores from the Cave, can walk through a Flame Wall or Scratch from the Dragon for only 1 grit, minimize the risk of obtaining a Dragon Gem, and stop the Cave from using Giant Bats?

This seems very powerful, and in the end game is basically so strong that I wanted to just leave a die there permanently.

Does the shield accomplish all the above? Maybe it doesn't work on other player's turns? Or only works once per round? Did I misinterpret anything?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Could the Cave hold off on the the sporing until the shield is down for a turn?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
early-to-mid game spending a cube on Shield instead of Encounters means more dark tiles for the goblin to prepare in, less treasure and speed to hunt down the dragon, and a cave who appreciates you letting him put all the crystals on the outside of the board instead of beside revealed tiles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
You did play it correctly, and the effect lasts the entire round (until the Knight's next turn when she picks up cubes).

It also protects against the Goblins' Hex and the Thief's Backstabs.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Knight play Shield AFTER being handed the Rats Event card? Or do Events take effect immediately after the Knight accepts the card?

Similar to the Knight having to decide whether to add Strength BEFORE the Goblins choose whether to attack, the presence/absence of Shield might affect which card the Cave decides to hand them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Strength can be added after the ambush is revealed but before the goblins decide to attack (if any Hero cubes are free).

The Shield, however, must be activated before the event where it would be useful.

So, no, you can't put the Shield on after being handed the Rats card, nor after the Cave sends the bats after you, nor ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
Could the Cave hold off on the the sporing until the shield is down for a turn?


That was just it though - I'd say for the final 4 or 5 turns, I just left a die on the Shield to prevent being targeted by Spores (because who wants to use 3 omens to make a player only lose 1 grit).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Watkins
United States
flag msg tools
Twitch_City wrote:
GreenM wrote:
Could the Cave hold off on the the sporing until the shield is down for a turn?


That was just it though - I'd say for the final 4 or 5 turns, I just left a die on the Shield to prevent being targeted by Spores (because who wants to use 3 omens to make a player only lose 1 grit).



The worst that was going to happen to you from losing 5 grit is you losing a cube. If you were keeping that cube on shield just to prevent spores than the cave is keeping you down a cube without having to spend any omens.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
and a cave who appreciates you letting him put all the crystals on the outside of the board instead of beside revealed tiles.

I don't understand this bit. The cave is only obligated to play crystal tiles first on his own turn. I don't see how a exploration-averse knight has the effect you describe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
moramis wrote:
Rumbelow wrote:
and a cave who appreciates you letting him put all the crystals on the outside of the board instead of beside revealed tiles.

I don't understand this bit. The cave is only obligated to play crystal tiles first on his own turn. I don't see how a exploration-averse knight has the effect you describe.


By exploring the Knight will surround the crystal tiles with other tiles making it take longer to get the crystals out once the collapse begins. If the Knight stays on one side, the cave can put all the crystals together and then remove them easily.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos_Theory wrote:
The worst that was going to happen to you from losing 5 grit is you losing a cube. If you were keeping that cube on shield just to prevent spores than the cave is keeping you down a cube without having to spend any omens.


Well, no - since shield also protects you from being moved, and other effects that make you lose grit (e.g., firewall). And the Cave can stack the Spores action, so you could theoretically lose a substantial number of cubes in a turn. Near the endgame, when most side quests have been completed, it is hard to regain lost grit so this could be a huge detriment.

In the game at hand, I actually won as Knight, and I think it was definitely due to keeping the shield up (I had exactly enough cubes to win the turn before at least one other player would have).

Glad to hear that we played it correctly - thanks - but I'm almost surprised to hear it, haha.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.