$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 81.39

5,443 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.3% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

RAF» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bomb Damage to Airfields - Patrolling Squadrons - No Interception rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Simply, if the sector's squadrons are on patrol but don't intercept a raid on their airfield, are they affected by any bomb damage or strafing?

The rule (11.3) says ...

Airfields: A number of squadrons (which did not intercept the raid), in the affected sector, equal to the number of damage points received are reduced one status level.

Strictly, I'm guessing that squadrons that stayed on patrol and didn't engage should still be affected by bombing. But that doesn't seem right, and I've been playing it as if squadrons on patrol (like those that intercept the raid) are unaffected by bombers and strafers hitting their target.

Just wondering what others think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Sanders
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Mike. I think I apply no damage to any and all squadrons in the air at the time of the raid. That seems sensible to me. Don't forget to apply the usual fatigue points to those airborne squadrons though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always applied the damage even to patrolling squadrons - I assumed it reflected the fact that they found it much harder to land safely somewhere and recover once their field had been pitted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Flynn
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Bomb Damage to Airfields - Patrolling Squadrons - No Interceptio
They would probably land on the cricket pitch at the nearest village and then enjoy a pint at the old "Dog and Gun"!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
A pint at the "Dog and Gun"? ..... Sounds good.

And 3 quick replies - I'm impressed. Thanks to everyone.

As it sounds like it may not be entirely clear, I'm going to institute a house rule, namely that if no squadrons are on the ground, then the Luftwaffe still get the victory points, but no Squadrons are affected. (In effect the airfield is bombed, but only buildings, hangars, the take-off area and various facilities are affected .... not the planes.)

I'm playing a game at the moment, and keeping a log which I'll post later. I'm on August 24th and doing reasonably well apart from one horrendous day (22nd) when I went from -6 to -21 VPs. And today's another all-out day.

+++++++

Actually scrub that house rule .... I've had another think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My set of rules (1986), has the following for 11.3 Airfields ( lines 6/7 ):

"Only squadrons which are not on patrol, and which did not intercept the raid, can be affected (exception: 18.13)."

[ 18.13 refers to Squadrons in the Night Patrol Box, which are considered on the ground during the day, and can be damaged by bombing. ]

Therefore any Squadrons on Patrol are not affected.

NB : The full rule re Airfields in my rules is 15 lines long ( including two bullet points at the end ( at 2 and 3 lines respectively ). The ruling quoted seems to possibly be from a simplified ( quick play ? ) set of rules...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:
I've always applied the damage even to patrolling squadrons - I assumed it reflected the fact that they found it much harder to land safely somewhere and recover once their field had been pitted.

The Airfields in the game represent several Airfields in a sector. If a particular Airfield was damaged to the extent that it's Squadrons could not land, they would divert to another Airfield in the sector, or find somewhere suitable nearby to land. Generally speaking not all Airfields in a sector would be likely to be Bombed in the same day (or so).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
brunswick1815 wrote:
They would probably land on the cricket pitch at the nearest village and then enjoy a pint at the old "Dog and Gun"!!

Whilst this could happen ( where the cricket pitch was on a large field ), having umpired at a number of cricket games, I can reliably inform you that it would be somewhat rare given the size of most of the applicable fields ( certain film content not withstanding )...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
DEB8 wrote:
My set of rules (1986), has the following for 11.3 Airfields ( lines 6/7 ):

"Only squadrons which are not on patrol, and which did not intercept the raid, can be affected (exception: 18.13)."

[ 18.13 refers to Squadrons in the Night Patrol Box, which are considered on the ground during the day, and can be damaged by bombing. ]

Therefore any Squadrons on Patrol are not affected.

NB : The full rule re Airfields in my rules is 15 lines long ( including two bullet points at the end ( at 2 and 3 lines respectively ). The ruling quoted seems to possibly be from a simplified ( quick play ? ) set of rules...

Thanks very much for your reply, Edwin. That clarifies things nicely.

The wording you've quoted ("Only squadrons that are not on patrol ....") certainly isn't in my set of rules, which run to 10 pages not including the front and end covers (but does include the Designer's and Players' Notes). Unfortunately there isn't a version number on the rules; just the copyright of 1986. Anyway, what you've quoted leaves no room for doubt, so thankyou for that.

And thanks for the note about Night Raids. I hadn't applied that rule, preferring to leave my Blenheims in the Night Raid box unless they take damage. From now on I'll move them back to their airfields and redeploy them at night (assuming they don't get bombed first of course).

Cheers



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Boomshanka wrote:
The wording you've quoted ("Only squadrons that are not on patrol ....") certainly isn't in my set of rules, which run to 10 pages not including the front and end covers (but does include the Designer's and Players' Notes). Unfortunately there isn't a version number on the rules; just the copyright of 1986.

Odd. That description precisely matches my rules too...

Quote:
From now on I'll move them back to their airfields and redeploy them at night (assuming they don't get bombed first of course).

This can't be done "per say" ( under my "copy/version" of the rules ). Blenheims are moved to and from the Night Patrol Box during the "Squadron Patrol Phase" only.
They are considered on the ground during the day for the purposes of 11.3 Airfields, but remain in the Night Patrol Box ( unless damaged by the Bombing of their sectors Airfield ).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
DEB8 wrote:

Quote:
From now on I'll move them back to their airfields and redeploy them at night (assuming they don't get bombed first of course).

This can't be done "per say" ( under my "copy/version" of the rules ). Blenheims are moved to and from the Night Patrol Box during the "Squadron Patrol Phase" only.
They are considered on the ground during the day for the purposes of 11.3 Airfields, but remain in the Night Patrol Box ( unless damaged by the Bombing of their sectors Airfield ).


I'm just being lazy. I only ever use Blenheims for Night Patrol, so my previous routine of leaving them in the Night Raid box saved moving them back to their airbase and then moving them back to night patrol a few phases later (though I acknowledge I need to cater for Storms and the Blenheims taking any damage during night or daylight raids on airfields).

If I now leave them throughout the day on their airbase until the Night Raid phase, I'll not forget they're there so will need defending (or not) and that they may get damaged by air raids. And there's no chance of me using them in daytime dogfights because I never would, ditto 1/10's Gladiator.

Going back to the game I'm playing, it's August 27th and Luftflotte 2 has no bombers, fresh or fatigued. Cue every squadron that can heading for the Luftflotte 3 half of the board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Boomshanka wrote:
I'm just being lazy. I only ever use Blenheims for Night Patrol, so my previous routine of leaving them in the Night Raid box saved moving them back to their airbase and then moving them back to night patrol a few phases later (though I acknowledge I need to cater for Storms and the Blenheims taking any damage during night or daylight raids on airfields).

If I now leave them throughout the day on their airbase until the Night Raid phase, I'll not forget they're there so will need defending (or not) and that they may get damaged by air raids. And there's no chance of me using them in daytime dogfights because I never would, ditto 1/10's Gladiator.

OK ( I guess )...

[ Whatever rocks your boat ! ]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.