Subject: The Hunters or the Hunted? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Theriot
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't decide on The Hunters 3rd edition or The Hunted. I like the historical aspect of each part of the war, but will The Hunted offer that much more in terms of game play that will make The Hunted that much better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
The sword is the mind. If the mind is right, the sword is right.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both!

Always. More is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 3rd ED. One it will be a more rewarding experience as in the second part of the war the Germans were just trying to survive and make it back to port. Plus, the 3rd ED will have extra goodies added that 1st ED & 2nd ED didn't come with. Like Captain cards (like Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45) and a fancier playing mat (IIRC). If you then enjoy the first release I would consider getting The Hunted: Twilight of the U-Boats, 1943-45 to see if your surviving U-Boat crews can last the war out.

I have both The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 & Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45 and will most DEFINITELY pick up The Hunted: Twilight of the U-Boats, 1943-45 as these are GREAT solo games. One of the best games at telling You a story as it plays out.

If you can swing getting both and are sure you will like the theme I would get both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like U-boats, then definitely get both games. If budget is an issue, then start with The Hunters. As previously mentioned, the 3rd printing will come with an expansion, which will have kommandant cards, patrol maps, and new U-boat types (Type I, X, XII and XIV). The rules are supposed to be integrated with The Hunted as well.
That being said, The Hunted will be available before The Hunters 3rd Printing. So if you want to dive in sooner, order a copy of The Hunted first..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1974vertigo2009 wrote:
Both!

Always. More is better.

"More is good, All is better"

Rule of Acquisition # 242

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
1974vertigo2009 wrote:
Both!

Always. More is better.

"More is good, All is better"

Rule of Acquisition # 242

Darn you all.

I had *just* homed in on a copy of Silent Victory after searching for it for over a week, and was curious about related titles by the same designer so I visited the forums for the Hunters/Hunted games. Read a lot... came across this thread here.... then checked out GMT Games' site.. and learned they're each on pre-order at GMT! For a great pre-order price.

Darn you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.