$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » Rules

Subject: Zombie movement when no open path to noise but open path to survivors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I played some games of Zombicide (season 1) last week and tried some missions from the zombicide website, one mission has a way to close/open doors, and another one when a car can always produce the most noise.

How do a zombie move if there is no open path to the noisiest zone (a car to the right) but there is an open path to the survivors to the left (they don't produce as much noise) ? Obviously they can't see the survivors.

French and english rules are the same and don't help much :
Quote:
- If they can’t see anybody and there are no open paths to the Survivors, they move toward the noisiest Zone as if all doors were open, though locked doors still stop them.

What happens if there IS an open path to the survivors ?
Is that a very bad way to explain that they always go to the noisiest zone that is accessible ?

I checked the season 3 rules, because I hoped it had a better wording, but it make me doubt even more :
Quote:
- If they can’t see anybody, they move toward the Zone that contains the most Noise tokens regardless of the distance. In case there are no open paths to the noisiest Zone, they move toward it as if all doors were open, though locked doors still stop them.

So what ? Are they supposed to go only after the noisiest zone and get stuck, or do they go to the noisiest zone with an open path ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mb
When you move zombies you must do the following things in the order:
1) Find the zone with the most noise on the board(each survivor also counts as 1 noise token).
2) Check if each group of zombies can see survivors. If group of zombies seeing survivors this group moves to survivors WITH MOST NOISE in they's zone.
3) Otherwise zombies moves to the zone with the most noise on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Reed
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The rule seems pretty clear to me, but: If the zombies can't see any survivors, they move towards the loudest position by the shortest possible path, even if that path isn't usable right now. So, yes, they'll get stuck at doors if the shortest path would otherwise lead through that door. (Which makes "sense": Imagine a group of super dumb zombies hearing a noise inside a building. They'll all bunch up at the door and won't be smart enough to go around.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if the zombies dont see any survivors, then they will indeed move towards the zone with the most noise regardless if that zone is unreachable.
they will move to the point where the path to the noisiest zone is blocked by a locked door and just pile up in that zone until finally someone opens the door, a new open path to the zones opens up, or the zone with the most noise changes so a new path becomes available, or a survivor moves into view of the zombies.

note that zombies will use ANY open path to the noise, not just the shortest one, ie if the shortest path (say 5 zones away) is blocked by a locked door and there is an open path of 20 zones to the noise, then the zombies will use the open path of 20 zones away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to remember... Survivors more than 1 room away aren't visible anymore even if the path is open. I see this forgotten the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Another thing to remember... Survivors more than 1 room away aren't visible anymore even if the path is open. I see this forgotten the most.

Hi
Is this in the season 3 rule book ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a standard ruling and should be in all rule books that have the LoS diagram. I only have the base game.

Remember, rooms are just representative and so is the model positioned in the room. In real life (lol!), if a zombie was in a room 2 rooms away, for it to see you the doorways would have to line up and you'd need to be stood in the doorway, with no furniture obstructions. It would be easy to hide behind a cupboard, bed etc. This is likely the thought process to why line of sight between 2 rooms is restricted to adjacent rooms, same goes for shooting, regardless to range.

That is the mechanic but it's upto you and your imagination to why, what's going on etc. Many don't and just play the game robotic, no roleplay at all...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuLVJBWHVlMjIxMn...

That's a cheat sheet, rule reminder, some of them are mods and options of mods. As we might not play for months due to other games, it's handy for us as a quick reference. Only the 1st page is needed. The second is just notes of ideas. it's heavily abbreviated to fit on 1 page, designed for those who know the rules already, not to teach them, as most won't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.