Captain Sonar» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone iffy on the price? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
For the moves
Trinidad and Tobago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just read about the game and it sounds great. Immediately, I'm went to Miniature Market to get a copy. Price? $42.49 for sheets, markers and a cardboard screen?!! surprise

Any thoughts on the price? It does sound a tad bit steep given the contents. Does anyone else feel this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People talk about the big boardgame price increase that publishers are trying out for size. I suppose the demand at this price will help them get a better handle on price elasticity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
I always regard the idea and the fun as the deal - not the components. I pay for the work the designer did, not the printers... But maybe it's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's high quality, durable sheets and plastic. And a lot of it - box is heavier than you might expect.

In the end you can DIY this if you want for not much effort, but you won't be able to match that price nor quality.

Anyways, long story short, price is perfectly fine for what it is. Even if you play it with 8 players just once, it's much cheaper than movie tickets to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodoo03 wrote:
I pay for the work the designer did, not the printers
That's a great sentiment, but I wonder where the money actually goes. Do designers see more money as prices rise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
In the end you can DIY this if you want for not much effort, but you won't be able to match that price nor quality.

[...]

Even if you play it with 8 players just once, it's much cheaper than movie tickets to everyone.

I wholeheartedly agree with these two remarks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised it doesn't cost more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Even if you play it with 8 players just once, it's much cheaper than movie tickets to everyone.
Which may merely mean that movie tickets are expensive.

I've never completely understood comparing board games to movie tickets. I see it's a comparison to help people judge relative value of entertainment, but I feel like there's already a commonly-understood medium of value comparison: the dollar or [insert your country's currency here].

Having said that, I've already ordered this game from CSI. I love Dice Duels and this looks similar, yet different enough for us to enjoy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because Asmodee. Other $50 games are ~$32 online.

Mine will be delivered later this week, but still:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For the moves
Trinidad and Tobago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
It's because Asmodee. Other $50 games are ~$32 online.

Was wondering if this is the result of their pricing scheme. If it is, then I'll live without it in my collection. Really sounds like a fun game though .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's one of my heavier games. That's mostly cardboard pulp in the shields but those are some heavy-duty shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Mason
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also comes with instructions -- those were probably the most expensive to create the right way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no regrets paying MSRP for this one. I've already had more than 5 plays of it with friends and family. I don't foresee having any issues with the components. The game comes with two giant shields, and player sheets for each role. The base game also came with plenty of maps to keep things exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For_the_moves wrote:
sheets, markers and a cardboard screen?!!

May I extend your list: idea, concept, development, art design, game box, plastic bags and packing materials to protect each component in the game box, rulebooks, manufacturing, packing materials to protect the game box from the outside, shipping, delivery, sales range. And manpower!
To be continued. By someone else.

In case of Captain Sonar the production quality is over the top. And quality has its price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
jumpwalker wrote:
For_the_moves wrote:
sheets, markers and a cardboard screen?!!

May I extend your list: idea, concept, development, art design, game box, plastic bags and packing materials to protect each component in the game box, rulebooks, manufacturing, packing materials to protect the game box from the outside, shipping, delivery, sales range. And manpower!
To be continued. By someone else.

In case of Captain Sonar the production quality is over the top. And quality has its price.

I was about the say the same thing.

Sure sheets, markers and cardboard of that amount should cost, oh say, 20 bucks at staples (I'm ball-parking – not including printing). And yes, doing it in bulk and in a 3rd world country should cut costs, but there's still EVERYTHING ELSE.

Even the shop owners don't make much profit in the end on board games after seeing a full breakdown of where the money goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Snyder
United States
Zanesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it hits the table and we have fun, I'm fine with the price. It's cheaper than the games that fall flat. Saying that - doesn't it go something like this:

Raw cost=6.25
x2 for publisher=12.50
x2 for distributor=25.00
x2 for shop owner=50.00

Shop owner then sells at a "discount" of 15% in this case to put it at 42.50? By Christmas the discount might be 30% and free shipping-but they still need to make a profit, as did every hand in the chain. Maybe raw cost were more like $4 bucks or even lower?

That aside - I do think it's fine. I think in the world of people wanting deep discounts and free shipping, they force publishers to inflate the price to hide those costs. Plus a game that really is best with 8 - maybe the print run was low as they didn't expect it to take off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt taylor
United Kingdom
portsmouth
hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Picked this up for £28...bargain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I am taking a pass now on this because it is higher compared to retail. I don't frequent any LGS, so I have no compulsion to buy in one. I see no reason to pay an inflated price just so ANA can make more money because they discriminate against online stores. Those provide my main source of new games and have for several years.

Arguments about paying the developer, etc. are not relevant. Nor are arguments about movie ticket prices either since I have not been to a movie theater in years.

This game would be an easier justification (for me) at $30-35. It is harder at this price, especially since I am not likely to get a large enough group to play it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
For_the_moves wrote:
Just read about the game and it sounds great. Immediately, I'm went to Miniature Market to get a copy. Price? $42.49 for sheets, markers and a cardboard screen?!! surprise

Any thoughts on the price? It does sound a tad bit steep given the contents. Does anyone else feel this way?

Hey, think yourself lucky, at least you can buy the flipping thing in your country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.