29.2% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Rydo Dejan
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now you may ask why review this? why not? Well this is what happened to me months ago, i'am a fanatic of lotr and after i knew the existence of this card game i jumped into it...and this is what i think.

Mini Review

The game is all about lotr movies and books.

You start with a 60 cards deck + 1 ring bearer + 1 ring + 9 sites, total cards needed from both players ( 4 max ) is 71.

You decide your starting fellowship with a budget of 4 points and your journey begin.

You draw 8 cards and basically you and your opponents will play the good and bad guys at same time.

In your turn you play the good guys cards, the more you spend the more the bad guys will have points to play bad cards.

The currency of the game is the TWILIGHT, a number present in all top left cards except sites.

The goal of the game is to make it to the 9th site and survive the skirmish.

I will not go deep in the game mechanics and jump to my toughts.

Quality : 9/10
Cards are very good, nice colors, detailed, great immages.

Gameplay : 7/10
Rules are really easy and you can start a game after 10 mins of rules reading, also it really feel like you are marching trough the ME with the minions of Sauron following you and becoming more and more strongers as you make

progresses, like if Sauron is committing everything he had to stop you. I give a 7 because of some cards, with a large pool like LOTR cards have its easy to create little monsters and sadly there are a lot of them, for example if you play

fellowship block in a competitive way you will end up with the same Elf/dwarf/aragorn( realm of ellf lords )/burning brand/elrond/shotgun enquea that really make the games frustrating, but you can decide to aviod that as i did and create

fun decks and all have fun ( thanks to this i play regularly each weekend ).

Collection : 9/10
Almost a 10, you have a lot of cards, promo cards, foil cards, rare cards, if you want to collect them all the only thing that will stop you is the cost of some sets, for example good luck buying boosters of Realm of the elf lords and basically

everything after the two towers set.

Total : 8,7
A must for all LOTR card games fans, for everyone else a great card game.

HOW TO START
First, you may have the idea of collect them all...well forget about it, you will not make it, its too late, but if you just want to play here are a few tips:

Start with the fellowship block ( The fellowship of the ring, Mines of Moria and Realms of elf lords ) but dont even think about going into the elf expansion because its too expensive and instead focus on the first two. Why? Because the

Fellowship of the ring set is easy and almost cheap to get, you can get a box of 36 boosters for 30 dollars, if you live in europe prepare 40+ euro per box.

But first buy one copy of Aragorn starter deck ( FOTR ) + Gandalf starter deck ( FOTR ) and you have a decent amount of cards to start playing alongside the rules.

Then buy the booster packs/box of FOTR as i said before and IF you want to have the balrog card get Mines of moria set or purchase it separately. But that set is only good to get for the Bally otherwise you can skip it entirely as i have done.

If it can help you, i completed my Fellowship set with only 4 booster boxes of 36 packs each, i was extremely lucky to not pull double rares but it can be more difficult, so if you dont mind used cards then go for them.

But to be honest if you just want to play go for the two starters i told about before and you can play happily with a friend, dont care if you both will not have a 60 cards deck, this will make games shorter and quickers.

A starter include : Rules + 1 Ring + Ring bearer + 3 random rares + 9 sites + 46 cards deck.

As you see you will have everything needed to play missing only 14 cards from your main deck but no big deal.

You can do the same for The Two Towers block ( made of : The Two Towers, Helm's deep and Ents of fangorn ).

As for the Fellowship block, just get TTT starters ( Aragorn and Theoden ) and again you are ready to play, then if you want to have more cards pool just get the booster boxes/packs of the two towers ( pretty cheap too, 30 dollars per box )

and forget about helm's deep and ents.

If you want to complete it and get at least The Return of the King set be ready for 50 dollars/90 euro to a single booster box and i dont even know what starters it have because of their rarity.

So to conclude this, its not hard get into it, a starter will cost you around 6 dollars new, a lot of cards can be bought for 30 dollars and you only need counters to trace wounds and twilight but everything will work, from coins to dices to rocks

Concluding the conclusion, if you were thinking "wow finally this is the ultimate card game i want to play with everyone" well...its a little bit too late, but if you have friends it will work well, and also it can be played online.

To really end this...remember to have fun and if you find a broken combo forget it and instead create creative decks, like a hobbit one that will avoid every battle or a fellowship of only dwarves or i dont know, you have a lot of cards to

choose from, just play fair and have fun.

I hope this will help some fellow internet wanderer, now you know were to start and what are the main aspects of the game. Have fun.

A hug to Tolkien!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankysan
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how OK it is to link to this, but since the game is not produced anymore, I think it's probably alright.
There is a free online version available for anyone to play here: http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rydo Dejan
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankysan wrote:
I'm not sure how OK it is to link to this, but since the game is not produced anymore, I think it's probably alright.
There is a free online version available for anyone to play here: http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/

This is the BEST link actually, i still play it there somethimes and it is the best way to play if you dont have a real friend to play with, thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game! Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rydo Dejan
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooogene wrote:
I love this game! Thanks for the review.

No problems and thanks to you for stopping by and read it all, a hug!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.