Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Having played this a few times now, I've got to say this really is a complete evolution of board gaming. Everyone loves it. Everyone wants to play again immediately. We pass the app around to each person so everyone gets a chance to read to the player next to them, and it's a hoot. The music, the sound effects, the flavor. This is what I've always wanted in a boardgame and never knew it.

The app is pure genius. It does such a good job of getting rid of all those piles of cards we're used to juggling in Arkham/Eldritch/Mansions games and streamlines the process to deliver the experience the cards were there to create, but got in the way of. And on top of that it adds real excitement to combat resolution as you are never sure if you've beaten the monster. Then there are the puzzles...just wow.

If FFG can keep up with the demand for new scenarios, they've got something in this game that's going down in the history books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné Human
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with OP. My family has never been taken by a board game quite like this. It's not perfect, but certainly the best example on the market right now of the accessible fun that an integrated app and card board game can be. There is even more potential to be exploited here by FFG. I suspect we will look back at this one in the future and say it was a key release in the history of board/tabletop gaming evolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this excitement also valid for a 4 player game where only one has access to the app at a time ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogalski
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I agree, this immediately hit me as the game I've been waiting for. I always thought the Call of Cthulhu rpg should have a game aid like this app. The system itself is very flexible, imagine some of those scenerios adapted to this app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Is this excitement also valid for a 4 player game where only one has access to the app at a time ?

OP and first reply sounded like they're playing with at least 3-4 players, I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to say the app adds real atmosphere to the game.. Really enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:

OP was playing where they passed the [tablet] to the player adjacent to the active player. When I play, I just airplay the app to my TV. You can do similar with chromecast, or you can hook up a laptop to an external display.

All of the above options lets people see for themselves what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
We tried the Apple TV thing and while it was fun, we felt like most people spent too much time looking at the app. By passing it around, the focus is away from the app and back on the table and players. Passing is the way we'll play from here on out. I do miss the better sound from the TV, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:
We tried the Apple TV thing and while it was fun, we felt like most people spent too much time looking at the app. By passing it around, the focus is away from the app and back on the table and players. Passing is the way we'll play from here on out. I do miss the better sound from the TV, though

You could bluetooth your tablets audio (most tablets have bluetooth) to some bluetooth speakers.
I have some bluetooth speakers that were very reasonable in price (about £35 so I think about $45-$50) but also you can buy bluetooth receivers (about $10) that will plug straight into anything that has a 3.5mm jack input (or an av or phono input with a $2 adapter). Most speakers, TVs and Hi-Fis have audio input so I bet for about $11 you could still have your big TV speakers playing the sound from your tablet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:

That's interesting, because I found the opposite. We only looked at the app when something major happened (combat/horror check, token interaction, or mythos phase), because the lack of figures, inventory, damage, and horror on the app made it "inferior" to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné Human
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with 4 players and I'd say the mix of "app time" vs. "board time" was roughly equal. We did pass the tablet around a little bit, mostly because I tried to spread the active engagement around a bit, eg. sometimes you are placing new map tiles/tokens/moving miniatures, sometimes you are reading story/challenge/combat bits from the app. It's all very fluid and up to the players. There's no need to HAVE to pass the tablet around for sure.

Next time I'm going to try airplay for bigger picture/better sound from a monitor. Another option is a bluetooth enabled speaker (check out the product from Jabra - I think it's called the speak510 - if you're looking for a reasonable priced, simple mobile speaker solution.)

This game has totally sold me on the idea of a gaming table with built in speakers... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The app is really atmospheric, which is a nice touch. But the fact that really impresses me is that I can sit 4 completely new players around the table, teach them the basic rules of the game, set it up, and be playing the gameall in about 10 minutes.

That's unheard for an FFG game of this caliber and any fans of 1st Edition understand the woes of setting things up as the Keeper.

I've gotten more non-gamers into Mansions 2nd than I have with any other game I've tried. It's pretty phenomenal and I hope app driven games become more common.

I know there will always be the facet of gamers that complain when board games go digital and think the world is ending, but I think they're severely ignoring the benefits. I don't think all games need apps, but some could be incredibly improved with the integration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feeling a bit less happy when the app crashed on turn 14.... Aghhhh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping the upcoming app for Specter Ops will be as transformative to that game as the app for MoM2 is over MoM1. While not essential to gameplay, it's pretty awesome that the app error checks the players' activities. Most specifically it shows you when the security force or the infiltrator moves and the latter then can/can't be seen.

I'm offering this as an example of a different sort of integration, though nevertheless impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am very happy with this version, despite not winning yet in three plays. (My problem is, I LOVE to explore!) On my third play of the first scenario, the mansion changed a bit and I loved that. Different monsters, different clues leave for a semi-fresh experience. I have been having alot of fun playing solo as well as with the family!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burkemaster wrote:
I too am very happy with this version, despite not winning yet in three plays. (My problem is, I LOVE to explore!)

The video gamer in me makes me want to uncover anything and everything I can see. I'm thinking next time we play, just because it's so hard not to explore for my group, to allow all investigators 3 actions instead of 2. This will not only allow some explorations, it also won't seem such a fight against the odds and thus more enjoyable for most players. Need that extra action to heal a little, go for it. And there is still even a timer, so the game isn't too easy.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Totally agree that this is amazing, and I hope they will update the Descent Road to Legend app to be more like this. With Descent, we found ourselves wishing the app would do more -- such as tracking monster health and location and showing the full card for items in the shop, and MoM does everything we were hoping for. Here's hoping that the Imperial Assault app will be even better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
This is sort of a double-edged sword to me. Yes, I see the game itself as a game changer that truly makes it stand out from the rest. (It would naturally explain why this game has already gone up so high in the player rankings.)

But at the same time, then it may become a common occurrence in games from now on. App upon app upon app in board games; many of them not working properly at launch, just like video games. I'd rather this 'game changer' game remain the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be better if the app was optional with a book explaining the each scenario for those who wish to play app free or people like me, for when the app crashes 14 moves into a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punk Reaper wrote:
...people like me, for when the app crashes 14 moves into a game.

Just in case you haven't already reported it...
Support for Mansions of Madness app
Our Mansions of Madness app is now live on Steam, iTunes, Google Play and Amazon App Store! If you experience any problems with the app, please email us at: softwaresupport@fantasyflightgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The app is the reason I bought the game. I have MoM1 but never played simply because, logistically, there wasn't enough people or time - or both - to play it. The app eliminates that issue while adding flavor and mood.

However, I hope that this trend continues as a means for giving games like MoM and Imperial Assault solo options. Even as a predominantly solo player of games, the total reliance of this game on the app is a little concerning. I'd prefer apps to be an option, not a requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
The app is the reason I bought the game. I have MoM1 but never played simply because, logistically, there wasn't enough people or time - or both - to play it. The app eliminates that issue while adding flavor and mood.

Agreed, I had the same issue. I have a good size gaming group. Too big at times, we often have 6. So that alone became a barrier, then of those 6, only a few would play this type of game, so we always felt bad not including some in a game night so we just always try to play other games.

This game has enabled me to play Mansions again! This time I do more solo, but have been able to include my son in a game to a point where I don't need to be an alpha gamer to him.

I have already played this 3 times in two weeks, where the first edition, I only played twice. In short, I am sold on this version.

I haven't had an issue with the app, but I am using my Galaxy Tab, so it seems the android version is less prone to bugs. Either that, or its the fact that I have only done the first scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:

However, I hope that this trend continues as a means for giving games like MoM and Imperial Assault solo options. Even as a predominantly solo player of games, the total reliance of this game on the app is a little concerning. I'd prefer apps to be an option, not a requirement.

I think we're likely to see a variety of apps. With Mansions, a decision was taken to move to a cooperative-only model. An app can replace a large number of card decks and/or tokens, and even with a high level of deck preparation/sequencing the cards can't come close to what an app can achieve. Plus, one player will always be liable to know information about the deck makeup. I think we're unlikely to see a game with both a card-based coop mode and an app-led coop mode, because the card-based version is basically redundant.

Descent is an interesting comparison. Descent 2e released as a 1vmany game, now has an app to allow co-operative play. If Descent 2e were released today, would it be co-operative only with an app, or would it also include 1vmany? I tend to think it'd cover both, but not with a card-based coop version in addition to the app coop version. Descent setup isn't as long-winded as Mansions 1e so there are fewer disadvantages for the app to solve. And we've seen Imperial Assault launch with 1vmany and skirmish modes, with app co-operative to come.

So I think the future holds all kinds of coop, 1vmany and skirmish modes, but doubled up modes where you can choose whether to use cards or app seems unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like the app-driven coop trend. My group prefers primarily co-op games. We spent years playing nothing but Arkham Horror. These days, unless we plan to devote the full session to Arkham, just setting it up takes so much time someone has to seriously want to play it just to get it out. Cutting down setup time & giving us co-op significantly increases the chance a game gets a second look at purchase, and significantly increases the odds of getting played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.