Bernie Campbell
United States
Salem
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
But it was so...artistically done...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm trying to sell the wife on letting me take a few days next summer to go to a wargaming event. Trouble is, I'm not sure what events are out there. I'm a school teacher, so I'm limited to late June through mid-August. I'm in the Northeast, so somewhere within driving distance is a bonus. Because I'm a school teacher, and flying is expensive. Suggestions?

I'm a hex and counter kind of guy, if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmDavis wrote:
Hey all,

I'm trying to sell the wife on letting me take a few days next summer to go to a wargaming event. Trouble is, I'm not sure what events are out there. I'm a school teacher, so I'm limited to late June through mid-August. I'm in the Northeast, so somewhere within driving distance is a bonus. Because I'm a school teacher, and flying is expensive. Suggestions?

Depends on what you mean by driving distance. As for the New England area, that I will have to leave to someone else. As a Midwesterner, I'm not familiar with those regional conventions. But if you're willing to put some miles on the vehicle, there is the World Boardgaming Championships in Seven Springs, PA. It will take place during the last week of July next year and has a very good wargaming presence (it started off as AvalonCon years ago). Keep in mind that this con is about a 10 hour drive for you, but given the quality and amount of gaming done here it may well be worth the trip.

Here's the link to the webpage for this years version:
http://www.boardgamers.org/wbcindex.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
WBC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmDavis wrote:
Hey all,

WBC is definitely a decent choice for straight-up gaming, and there are some vendors there to support you, too.

I'll throw in the shameless plug for Origins, which is not as wargame-focused as something like CSW Expo, or quite as close as WBC (though it's about 3-hour difference depending on where you're coming from in New England).

What we *do* have at Origins, though, is a dedicated wargaming program run by GrogHeads that runs wargames of all stripes - hex-and-counter, hex-and-minis, COIN, blocks, etc - tied into the vendors in the exhibit hall. For people that play in our events, we also include some discounts with the vendors that sponsor our games, prizes from the vendors, and raffle drawings on Sunday morning, as well as some pretty cool convention-only type of gaming experiences, like the team COIN games and the Command Post Wargaming events.

You can read all about the past 3 years of our events at Origins (along with coverage of the convention overall) here
http://grogheads.com/?tag=origins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Campbell
United States
Salem
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to go to Origins. The problem is that it is generally not after school gets out for me. Depending on snow days, we can go as late as June 20 or so. So it is usually a no go. Someday maybe. I'll have to check out the WBC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a list of conventions on Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gaming_conventions. The closest one I see to you is Connecticon in Hartford, Connecticut in July.

If you're interested in miniatures, I believe there are some conventions in Boston.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There is HuzzahCon in Portland Maine each year, but it's usually late May, so your timing doesn't work out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmDavis wrote:
Hey all,

I'm trying to sell the wife

I know its a cheap comment but I genuinely stumbled at this point; is this normal vocabulary in North America? I think my wording would be a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
The most famous line is: "take my wife, please!"

It comes from a common usage, something like; "take my wife, she is hard working and intelligent, but doesn't understand computers."

So there needs to be a longish pause at the comma for the Henny Youngman joke.

Same thing with the 'sell the wife' on the idea of a trip to the Grand Canyon.

JimA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hammurabi70 wrote:
AdmDavis wrote:
Hey all,

I know its a cheap comment but I genuinely stumbled at this point; is this normal vocabulary in North America? I think my wording would be a little different.

One is supposed to be patriotic in the wargame section...

http://bit.ly/2bM4K7O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Campbell
United States
Salem
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hammurabi70 wrote:
AdmDavis wrote:
Hey all,

From a linguistics point of view, it comes from the concept that you try and sell someone something. Like, you sell someone a car. You sell someone an idea. I'm trying to sell my wife the idea of me going somewhere. I don't know how widespread the construction is.

I guess I never really thought about how strange some of our English idiosyncrasies are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already passed on two conventions this year due to the travel expense. My rational is that at that cost I could buy a tonne of wargames and/or books, so I should just do that instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest The Weekend. It is held in Lancaster, PA at The Continental Hotel. While it started as a miniatures convention they are opening up to boardgamers displaced by the WBC move.

It is held near the end of June,

It is "invitation only" but to get an invite you just have to ask. It saves them paperwork with who is coming I have heard. Just send your mailing address to sigurd@eclipse.net to be added to the updates.

Next year it will be June 21st to the 25th. They figure more days means more gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lopez
Luxembourg
Hesperange
Outside the U.S./Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimA759 wrote:
The most famous line is: "take my wife, please!"

It comes from a common usage, something like; "take my wife, she is hard working and intelligent, but doesn't understand computers."

So there needs to be a longish pause at the comma for the Henny Youngman joke.

Same thing with the 'sell the wife' on the idea of a trip to the Grand Canyon.

JimA

Yorkshire joke:

Got coat for wife.
Aye, good swap !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.