6 Posts

The War: Europe 1939-1945» Forums » Rules

Subject: Air strike against fleets in port rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Hello, thanks for the answer on the Norway scenario, this is getting very good slowly. I think it is better I post new threads by topics now, to help other players.

When conducting an attack with air units or CV/NAC against enemy fleets in port:

1/ do we use normal interception rules to intercept air/naval units in the sea area of the port ?

2/ can air units that not adjacent to the sea are also intercept in the port's hex, using their interception range in hexes ?

3/ do you add the port's flak factor (1) to the flak factor of the fleets in the port ?

4/ Do minor countries capitals (like Oslo) also have a flak factor of 2 ?

5/ when gathering several fleet for a mission, do they have to meet-up in a port? thus being subject to stacking limits (3 fleets max)? or can they meet-up in a sea area and then move together as a force ?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
6/ does the 4 air/naval units maximum limit applies to air strikes ?
If yes, let us say I attack with a TAC unit and get the surprise roll, I am assumed to have 4 fleets involved instead of 3 ?
If I had one CV/NAC performing that air strike surprise would lift me from 1 to 3 fleets equivalent. Correct ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Hello, thanks for the answer on the Norway scenario, this is getting very good slowly. I think it is better I post new threads by topics now, to help other players.

When conducting an attack with air units or CV/NAC against enemy fleets in port:

1/ do we use normal interception rules to intercept air/naval units in the sea area of the port ?

2/ can air units that not adjacent to the sea are also intercept in the port's hex, using their interception range in hexes ?

3/ do you add the port's flak factor (1) to the flak factor of the fleets in the port ?

4/ Do minor countries capitals (like Oslo) also have a flak factor of 2 ?

5/ when gathering several fleet for a mission, do they have to meet-up in a port? thus being subject to stacking limits (3 fleets max)? or can they meet-up in a sea area and then move together as a force ?

Thanks

Hi Robin,

In order:

1) yes;

2) yes, but "intercept" means that a non-phasing Axis air unit in Hanover could intercept a British NAC making a carrier strike on Kiel; the Hanover-based air unit could intercept the NAC (only); it could not intercept a British CV launching the strike from the Danish North Sea Area;

3) yes;

4) yes, unless it's a special case like 18.2, Western Front Surprise, or 21.4, Soviet Unity Placement and German Surprise Attack;

5) the latter - Fleets and/or CV's need not gather in a port prior to the mission; they'll all gather in the target Sea Area

Hope this helps,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
6/ does the 4 air/naval units maximum limit applies to air strikes ?
If yes, let us say I attack with a TAC unit and get the surprise roll, I am assumed to have 4 fleets involved instead of 3 ?
If I had one CV/NAC performing that air strike surprise would lift me from 1 to 3 fleets equivalent. Correct ?

Hi Robin,

In order:

1) no, only to the number of naval units that can participate in any one roll on the Air-to-Sea/Naval CRT, as per 7.9 ;

2) Well, it's only implied by 11.7.1 and 11.7.2, rather than explicit, but only NAC can obtain Surprise against naval units. Thus a surprise air strike against ships at sea or in port isn't possible for a TAC.

3) A NAC would be worth 2 Fleet equivalents for an air strike against ships at sea, and yes, three for a carrier air strike against ships in port.

Hope this helps,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Hi Ernie,

So about the surprise roll, it is only for NAC then ?
TAC/MDM never get to roll for surprise ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Hi Ernie,

So about the surprise roll, it is only for NAC then ?
TAC/MDM never get to roll for surprise ?

Hi Robin,

Correct on both questions.

Sorry to be late getting back to you. I am back at work now - the school term begins this week - so it's been busy.

Hope this helps,

ernie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.