41.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Luc
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I got to play Alternate Histories last night! And boy, oh boy, was it fun!

Game one: I controlled the Axis, and Martin was the Allies
Game two: I controlled Germany, Tom had Italy and Japan, and Martin was the Allies.

(Yeah, Italy and Japan, not German and Italy. It's something I have done before, given the two smaller axis countries to one player in a five player game. It worked pretty well. You lose some coordination in Europe but you gain some in Asia.)

Game one - neither of us had seen any of the new cards apart from Sea Lion and Government Evacuates to Kuibsybhev.

So I was faced down by the brave French and Chinese tanks and feeling quite intimidated. In both games I was poised to Force Conscription on turn one, and I glared sternly at the blue tank in my way. Working together with Italy, Western Europe was liberated from the French and held, but otherwise Germany did not get that much momentum going in game one.

There was only one German piece on the board for most of the game (shameful, I know) - Women Conscripts on the other side were proving to be a deterrent, and I was not Biased. Italy did much of the heavy lifting, grimly holding onto Western Europe and battling against the British and the French, who had established a base in Africa. Japan likewise had ejected China to Szechuan and now was eating ice creams in the Phillipines.

Eisenhower had rolled the tanks into California, and as an encore had established the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force. Utilising the French base, a UK navy was gliding around gleefully in the Indian Ocean with eyes on Australia. To my delight, however, the Special Navy Forcefully Landed there first.

The Soviets unceremoniously abandoned Moscow (Martin was having fun using all the new cards. I felt like I had to keep discarding them, to my chagrin). But I did Plan Strategically (after drawing the card, looking at the card, and saying Holy Shit), and kept Sweden Supports Finland, because that looked fun. But we abandoned the game at around turn 15 to start game 2. The allies were about 8 points ahead, and the French and Chinese had a big part to play in that. Well played Martin!

Game two:

The allies started off strongly, again. Rosie was Riveting like crazy, and Roosevelt was Lending Leases like there was no tomorrow. The British gave Mackenzie King a pen and said get Drafting which I thought was a hilarious turn one move. The Soviets conquered Ukraine, played Women Conscripts and Schvernik's Evacuation Council securing ongoing supply for the Reds.

Faced down with some of the best Statuses in the game (and Mackenzie King), the Axis did what the Axis do best - rolled the tanks into Western Europe, sent the boats to the Med and battled in the North Sea. "Sorry", said Tom, "I'm doing terribly". "You're doing fine", I said.

What my Axis ally and my Allied enemy did not know was that I was about to Operate on a Sea Lion. Many of the new German events quite specifically say recruit and not build. Sea Lion says build. Dear reader, I did not have Bias for Action in play. Did I care? Not one bit. The UK got bashed and Italy later built a boat in the North Sea for good measure.

"Oh shit", said Martin. "Quite", I said. A tank reappeared in London. But a few turns later, Bias For Action was in play and a German tank proudly stood in the UK. The British and Americans scrambled to build boats in the North Atlantic, and the US Landed Amphibiously in Iceland, which I thought was genius. My plan was to hold the island as long as possibly, interspersed with some casual Soviet crushing. The 12 point Allied lead started to dwindle.

With the Americans and British otherwise occupied, Italy advanced and captured India. Japan claimed Australia and was playing whack-a-mole with the Chinese and finally sat a tank on Szechuan. America freedomed the hell outta the UK, but the damage was done. Germany proceeded to Bias back the Red ladies, and the Glorious Axis won by 30 point margin with the help of yet more points from the Plundering Italians. Good games all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great reporting; thanks! Rather than call it "Alternate Histories" I would have called it "Opening Shots," as it basically focuses on the early war events. But the main goal of changing up the entire game seems to be there.

Do the players feel like they have more control, and spend less time waiting for a basic card? I'd think that would be the major intended change. I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.

Did you use any of the "extra" options yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To find basic cards, you can "Reallocate Resources": discard X cards from your hand, then search your deck for a basic build, battle or deploy air force card. Play it as your play, then shuffle your deck. (This is a rule which was introduced in Air Marshall and can optionally be used in base Quartermaster General.)

In the base game, or base plus Air Marshall, Reallocate Resources costs 4 cards. If Alternate Histories is being used, it costs 3 cards - so it's a bit cheaper.

I haven't used deck construction yet, no.

There is more variety in cards, and you see more cards, because you usually discard at least one and draw at least 2 every turn. It's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking more of the five "Promo" options:

Air Marshall: Prisoner Exchange, Air Supply, Peace Treaty

Alternate Histories: Preparing For War, Research

I put the first three in the Files section. The newer two are available on a thread here on the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used the promos much. We did use Preparing for War once. Can't really comment on it yet, but it seems fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.