Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having seen a recent thread regarding small imperfections on player board backs, well I could pull out many games in my collection with similar small marks.

I have OCD with my game collections I guess, I want everything as near perfect as possible. I believe Scythe has amazing production quality with damn near perfect contents.

For anything not 101%...
I use the "felt tip trick" on them. It's really simple and makes us with OCD happy.

Please note, my intention is not to start a heated thread or encourage such, I genuinely just want to show how I deal with such little issues, so others who may not of thought of it - can apply to their own game materials.

The humour in the video is purely how I am and not intended to antagonise anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to remind people that Jamey has that 100 percent satisfaction guarantee warranty on his ks. Anyone not happy with it can get it returned for free. The only reason to be upset is if you are trying to scalp it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are clearly trying to insult the OP on 'the other thread' which was locked.

Not sure what some people here find so insulting about expecting a game to arrive brand new without defects.

So far we have reports of paint coming off the upgraded components after light handling, boards coming unglued, broken meeple (the wood does feel cheap) and paint coming off the metal coins.

If you think you are being funny, well I hate to to the one to burst your bubble but you are not.

I wonder if people would be so forgiving of other products that raised over a million dollars at KS and then shipped damaged and not particularly durable products? And yet anyone who points out a fault with Scythe gets attacked on these forums.

BGG at its finest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
asobu wrote:

Not sure what some people here find so insulting about expecting a game to arrive brand new without defects.

So far we have reports of paint coming off the upgraded components after light handling, boards coming unglued, broken meeple (the wood does feel cheap) and paint coming off the metal coins.

If you think you are being funny, well I hate to to the one to burst your bubble but you are not.

I wonder if people would be so forgiving of other products that raised over a million dollars at KS and then shipped damaged and not particularly durable products? And yet anyone who points out a fault with Scythe gets attacked on these forums.

BGG at its finest.

There are several things off here.

1) The op here explicitly stated he didn't want to antognize anybody. And he didn't. You don't back up your claim that he insulted someone with any evidence, and so far quite a few people did find the video funny.

2) There was a reason that thread was locked.
The poster you speak of has a history of opening threads on bgg with complaints about perceived or real component defects. That would not be a problem if his demands and complaints were reasonable, which sadly, they aren't most of the time.
In this case, he stated in another thread that he got the game from boardgamebliss as slightly damaged. Which means that he hasn't paid full prize for it (which he claimed in the other thread, obviously contradicting himself), that he should have anticipated more slight damage inside the box (if a game has a dented box, chances are it was handled poorly in delivery, which makes further traces of that not unlikely), and for me personally at least, that he should have approached boardgamebliss about those damages.
So, no, the game was not "brand new" but sold as slightly damaged, which makes me wonder what he expected.

3. There is a group of people on bgg that seem to think any negative reviews/comments are so valuable that they don't have to follow standards of civility, logic or consistency. So they defend them, no matter how unjustified, insconsistent or outright silly they were.
Little do those people understand that they are doing exactly the same thing they are accusing the fanboys of: putting an agenda over actual, serious and civil discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asobu wrote:

BGG at its finest.

No, asobu, that was funny! Having been stationed in England for four years and having grown up on a healthy diet of British comedy, I know funny...and Mark, that was funny! Cheers, mate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blayne Miley
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
asobu wrote:

BGG at its finest.

I thought it was funny and helpful. Thanks for the post OP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scholtanus
Netherlands
Beek (gem Montferland)
flag msg tools
I like the video, but good god. I would not be able to play that game right then and there. Things poking over the edges of the table? With valuable resources on top!? Absolute madness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
webs1 wrote:
asobu wrote:

BGG at its finest.

1) The op here explicitly stated he didn't want to antognize anybody. And he didn't. You don't back up your claim that he insulted someone with any evidence, and so far quite a few people did find the video funny.

The poster you speak of has a history of opening threads on bgg with complaints about perceived or real component defects. That would not be a problem if his demands and complaints were reasonable, which sadly, they aren't most of the time.
In this case, he stated in another thread that he got the game from boardgamebliss as slightly damaged. Which means that he hasn't paid full prize for it (which he claimed in the other thread, obviously contradicting himself), that he should have anticipated more slight damage inside the box (if a game has a dented box, chances are it was handled poorly in delivery, which makes further traces of that not unlikely), and for me personally at least, that he should have approached boardgamebliss about those damages.
So, no, the game was not "brand new" but sold as slightly damaged, which makes me wonder what he expected.

3. There is a group of people on bgg that seem to think any negative reviews/comments are so valuable that they don't have to follow standards of civility, logic or consistency. So they defend them, no matter how unjustified, insconsistent or outright silly they were.
Little do those people understand that they are doing exactly the same thing they are accusing the fanboys of: putting an agenda over actual, serious and civil discussion.

Speaking of many things off, where do I begin with your post?

1) The reason the thread was locked because there would have been a million hits on the red button from outraged fanboys. This is no surprise. I also was the first one to report Stegmaier for posting my private emails, bringing it to the attention of the mods.
2) perceived damage? Yes, I love to try and claim free cardboard parts for games when there is no actual damage. I love taking pictures of the pristine parts, photoshopping them, and sending them to customer reps, gleefully rubbing my hands together at my brilliant ruse. The resale value on two faction boards without the game goes quite high on ebay. Who are you to tell me what MY game damage is? I report damage when it needs reporting, no sooner, no later. I don't enjoy doing it, I don't profit from it, and I expect a new game to be in like new condition.
3) boardgamebliss sells damaged boxes. I got a massive $2 off for the box damage. That has zero to do with inner contents. A dent corner on a box doesn't justify damaged inner components, nor should one accept them as part of the deal. I bought minor damage boxes before from bgb, and they never had internal damage.
4) I did approach bgb about the damage. They referred me to Stegmaier. Big mistake.
5) there is a group of people on BGG who seem to think it's fine to attack anyone for any negativity, even when that negativity is warranted. What's hilarious is that I didn't even trash the game, only pointed out my "customer service" experience for clearly damaged parts. I even started getting physically threatening emails this morning from an outraged Stegmaier minion. It's beyond sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatzi,

You may successfully "lock" two threads in under 24 hours...nice job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Spatzi,

You may successfully "lock" two threads in under 24 hours...nice job!

Yes, the other thread was closed, and he's brought exactly the same arguments to this thread and is continuing the SMG bashing. The purpose of this thread was to take a pragmatic approach to minor issues with components and providing a valid fix, in a tongue-in-cheek way.

I find people's reference to someone by just their surname(e.g. 'Stegmaier' ) is quite rude. And why do these KS-bashing threads continually refer to the 'million dollars' raised as an argument for providing customers with benefits that are over and above what the subscribers have paid for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peepser wrote:
webs1 wrote:
asobu wrote:

BGG at its finest.

Speaking of many things off, where do I begin with your post?

1) The reason the thread was locked because there would have been a million hits on the red button from outraged fanboys. This is no surprise. I also was the first one to report Stegmaier for posting my private emails, bringing it to the attention of the mods.
2) perceived damage? Yes, I love to try and claim free cardboard parts for games when there is no actual damage. I love taking pictures of the pristine parts, photoshopping them, and sending them to customer reps, gleefully rubbing my hands together at my brilliant ruse. The resale value on two faction boards without the game goes quite high on ebay. Who are you to tell me what MY game damage is? I report damage when it needs reporting, no sooner, no later. I don't enjoy doing it, I don't profit from it, and I expect a new game to be in like new condition.
3) boardgamebliss sells damaged boxes. I got a massive $2 off for the box damage. That has zero to do with inner contents. A dent corner on a box doesn't justify damaged inner components, nor should one accept them as part of the deal. I bought minor damage boxes before from bgb, and they never had internal damage.
4) I did approach bgb about the damage. They referred me to Stegmaier. Big mistake.
5) there is a group of people on BGG who seem to think it's fine to attack anyone for any negativity, even when that negativity is warranted. What's hilarious is that I didn't even trash the game, only pointed out my "customer service" experience for clearly damaged parts. I even started getting physically threatening emails this morning from an outraged Stegmaier minion. It's beyond sad.

I didn't post on the other thread because I didn't think it was necessary but I will post now...

The problem and the backlash you are having with this comes solely from your attitude and the way you post... it's just like another user does LSD, and you guys get flagged by the other regular users of the forum...

I have to say that I agree with you regarding the damage meeple and boards... those things shouldn't happen and you were within your right to ask for replacements.

The problem here is the way you do things... and when you don't get your way, the way you made your other post...

Of course Jamey is going to reply to what you said there, you were telling your side of the story and you were the one that first opened the door of the emails exchanged...
when asked to show the photos you refused... Jamey posted those photos and transcribed parts of the email...

I don't see why him transcribing those emails is a problem in anyway... maybe you are ashamed of the way you addressed the issue but it was you that opened that door for Jamey to post the emails... so you only have yourself to blame there.

Like I said, I wouldn't be very happy if my game came like that and would also ask for a replacement but my approach would be much different than yours... I don't think I'm entitled to anything, I would contact to ask if they could provide the replacements...

I haven't opened my copy yet, it's a KS copy that I backed from day one...

That's another thing... you didn't even backed the Ks, you bought the game from a store, so your post is even more put in question, you didn't put money up front for a few months...

So, like I said, these kind of things are perceived differently from person to person, some will be bothered others won't... it's definitely not a game breaking damage and like Mark has shown in the video, it's easily fixed...

You would suggest to you that you change the way you approach and talk to people... you are way too passive-aggressive and that generates backlash from others...
that's the main problem with this whole issue... the way you brought this to public!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Please do not respond to disruptive posts - all you do is contribute to the disruption yourself when you do so and can lead to getting dragged down with them if moderating the thread becomes necessary.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny...I really wanted to post in the locked thread, yet here comes this opportunity, and I just don't feel like it any more.

Pete (guesses locking does work)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish we didn't lock threads here. Discussion is never a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I wish we didn't lock threads here. Discussion is never a bad thing.

Except when it's pointless and leads to nowhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silly me. I opened the thread expecting a discussion of the concept of "damage" in mech combat. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm so glad peepser isn't banned anymore. My most entertaining subscription by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
Silly me. I opened the thread expecting a discussion of the concept of "damage" in mech combat. shake

So did I!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
webs1 wrote:
asobu wrote:

BGG at its finest.

I don't see how you can be serious in taking this position. One of the first things the OP states in the video, and in a snarky manner, is that he's going to send the game back and ask for a refund. That was clearly meant to antagonize. Moreover, I am not sure how you can say it didn't antagonize when it clearly did. The OP can say all day that he did not mean to do so, but he clearly did, and he most likely knew he was going to do so, otherwise he would not have taken the tone he did in the post and the video. It reminds me of the statement, "I don't mean to be [insert whatever], but..." and then proceed to act in that manner.

I am quite disappointed in the mod's response, and am surprised he is taking that position. The OP was clearly the disrupting party by making the post and doing so in the manner presented, and I am surprised that the thread was allowed to continue.

FWIW, I disagree with the post from yesterday, and saw nothing wrong with the scratches on the backs of the boards, but that does not mean this type of behavior (baiting; antagonizing, etc.) should be permitted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Damage, Inc. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asobu wrote:

BGG at its finest.

How is gameplay impacted? If these are real concerns of people, then I truly believe the tide's about to turn on all boardgamers. Eventually business acumen will catch up to all the companies. Jamey again is ahead of the curve applying common sense rules to what is replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:
I'm so glad peepser isn't banned anymore. My most entertaining subscription by far.

Yup. Typical routine too. Buy an expensive game (Scythe, Food Chain Magnate, Grand Austria Hotel), complain about something, insult and belittle everyone, talk about how has sold the game already (at a loss!), get banned, and repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
esquire468 wrote:

I don't see how you can be serious in taking this position. One of the first things the OP states in the video, and in a snarky manner, is that he's going to send the game back and ask for a refund. That was clearly meant to antagonize. Moreover, I am not sure how you can say it didn't antagonize when it clearly did. The OP can say all day that he did not mean to do so, but he clearly did, and he most likely knew he was going to do so, otherwise he would not have taken the tone he did in the post and the video. It reminds me of the statement, "I don't mean to be [insert whatever], but..." and then proceed to act in that manner.

I am quite disappointed in the mod's response, and am surprised he is taking that position. The OP was clearly the disrupting party by making the post and doing so in the manner presented, and I am surprised that the thread was allowed to continue.

FWIW, I disagree with the post from yesterday, and saw nothing wrong with the scratches on the backs of the boards, but that does not mean this type of behavior (baiting; antagonizing, etc.) should be permitted.

Of course the op is referring in part to the earlier post, I just don't think his tone and manner is snarky and/or antagonistic. Instead he states that he could either send the game back or just repair the damage itself.
And if you actually look into peepers comment record, you might realize that this guy is a repeat offender and that might be the reason the MOD reacted the way he did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.