Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Why is this game so expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sharpe
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
I really like the look of this game. But why is it so expensive? The starter pack here goes for £75 new - War of the Ring by the same designer (with a lot more stuff in the box) only goes for £50

I would hope a starter set would be at a lower price point (like x-wing, attack wing etc) to give you a taste for it and then invest more heavily in the other models and expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you mean by "a lot more stuff in the box."

The SoG starter has 4 very nice ship models, of multiple pieces which had to be assembled, decaled, and painted.

Plenty of cardboard also, but the real key is the complex models-- compared to simple plastic molded pieces.

It also gets you started into a system which can do a lot of things, both large or small. LotR lets you play LotR.

But I suspect part of the situation is the current scarcity. I've seen the starter go for a lot less than 75L in various places that use pounds for money. Shop around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Buckett
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't add much to what Kevin has already said, but scarcity may well be the biggest reason for higher prices? As far as I know there hasn't been a reprint of the boxed edition since their "2nd" run so that's certainly a contributing factor.

Shop around may be your best course. Banner at the top of this page says Amazon has a starter set for $54.95?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or look for other (than English) language editions... Sometimes they come up a little cheaper because ??? smaller market probably?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get it for £65 at Chaos Cards, and probably £60 somewhere if you hunt. I tend to agree, for a starter, it could probably be a little cheaper but they probably don't want people buying two or three subsidised starters and nothing else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the price of some similar miniatures games (such as the $80-$100 starter set for Star Wars: Armada), SoG is not particularly expensive.

And yes, I think the prices are a bit higher right now than otherwise would be normal due to scarcity/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The GBP is not doing so well lately, and it's future exchange rate could be very unpredictable. (that's Brexit for you)

I've seen similar complaints from UK people about price increases for games and game expansions since the Brexit decision. (For example about the latest expansion of Smash Up)

Besides scarcity, this might also a reason why it's becoming more expensive in the UK.

(Edit: I thought Ireland used the € as well, so why are you looking at prices in £ ??)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just over the past three weeks I've found supply drying up.

I had to source from three different OLGS to get the ships I wanted at free shipping prices... eBay sellers will soon be able to command higher prices.

Not sure if/when Ares will reprint ships or release the Spanish vessels... Until then grab what you can now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like a game...always buy when it first comes out...or pay a premium or wait a year or two. I missed a release of WoG and it took me close to two years to get the planes at a reasonable price...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.