Subject: I've Plateaued - Is it possible to improve further? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I play this game at level 4 and more often than not (60/40) beat the game. But I don't feel like I'm able to improve my game anymore. Perhaps there is room to improve my game but I can't see what it is. When I lose now I feel like I've just run into bad luck and there was not much I could have done differently (or if I had done it differently it would have been pure luck as to whether it would have paid off).

For instance, probably the most common problem I have is that my destroy cards sometimes bunch together. Fighting one hazard card I will draw 2 or 3 and have nothing to destroy and then fighting the next I will draw two ageing cards and no destroy cards.

What do you do in the above situations? Pay to life points to keep drawing and hope you find an ageing card to destroy or a destroy card to destroy an already drawn ageing card? I've tried that on occasion and it didn't go well for me.

Perhaps it's just my bad shuffling, I don't know, but it feels like there's a certain level of luck that just can't be mitigated away reliably no matter how well you play. Is there anyone who thinks their win ratio at level 4 is significantly higher than mine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you track your scores? That's what keeps it fresh for me: always trying to beat my previous best.

Also, have you played on Level 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
mjschryver wrote:
Also, have you played on Level 5?

The way I see it, if I'm playing on level 4 and I win the game without going below 2 life points, that constitutes a level 5 win, right? I have done this on a couple of occasions.

However, it's not just a matter of wanting a bigger challenge, it's wanting to be able to improve my game and I'm not sure how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
For instance, probably the most common problem I have is that my destroy cards sometimes bunch together. Fighting one hazard card I will draw 2 or 3 and have nothing to destroy and then fighting the next I will draw two ageing cards and no destroy cards.

Heh, yeah, I hate it when that happens!

Quote:
I don't know, but it feels like there's a certain level of luck that just can't be mitigated away reliably no matter how well you play.

That seems surely true to me - statistically, I think the luck of the draw will be too cruel every so often.

If someone can reliably win e.g. 80% or 90% of the time at level 4, I'm curious to read more about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:

What do you do in the above situations? Pay to life points to keep drawing and hope you find an ageing card to destroy or a destroy card to destroy an already drawn ageing card? I've tried that on occasion and it didn't go well for me.

I think the only thing you can do to mitigate that is to prioritise getting "Sort 3" and "1 below the stack" cards, to allow you to manipulate the deck as much as possible. Of course you may not draw those when you need them either...

Quote:
Is there anyone who thinks their win ratio at level 4 is significantly higher than mine?

I've played 24 games in the last year, all at level 4, and won 17 (just over 70%) of them. So a bit higher than you, but not that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impressed!

Winning a game on the hardest level 60% of the time is not bad at all. At least for a game like this. Same thing (in my opinion) with Zulus on the Ramparts.

These games have lots of luck in them, and some games you are destined to lose, but at least they give you meaningful decisions to make, even though you will/might lose.

I only got this game last week and played 5 times at the easiest difficulty. Only got to the pirates once, and lost there as well, so haven't won yet. I really like this! Means that there are some tactics to discover, and that it's not all down to luck. Looking forward to getting to your level!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.