$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 134.71

7,856 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Unfair» Forums » General

Subject: A little opinion about the flavour of themes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like this game a lot and backed it at first sight. But I am a bit disappointed that the themes are named after different races in Smash up style rather than themed zones we expect to see in theme parks.

Jungle, Robot, and Pirate are fine on their own. But applying both Vampire and Zombie seems repetitive in theme since both should have been located in the HorrorLand of a theme park and Horror should be the theme instead of dividing it into Vampire and Zombie etc. The same goes for Robot and Alien which should be located in the Tomorrowland, too.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking Vampire seems a little too specific too, but I'm fine waiting to see how it unfolds. If the name is Vampire, but the focus is classic horror cool.

Zombie seems like like an event at the park. Not sure that is how it is to work but maybe there is a Catastrophe deck that works like an event at the park too?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, i would prefer a full horror pack, including vampire, zombie, etc. Much better than a Ninja pack, im my opinion. Well, they can't make everybody happy...cool
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eduguima wrote:
Yeah, i would prefer a full horror pack, including vampire, zombie, etc. Much better than a Ninja pack, im my opinion. Well, they can't make everybody happy...cool


Yeah, I'm trying my best to not sound so nitpick-y

Desferous sums up my idea nicely. I prefer theme more than specific races so that we can experience more different visual style
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm OK with a few specific themes even if they aren't to my taste (zombies, Ninjas) because enough of them are/will be (Robots, Dinosaurs, western) That I'm sure I can always put together a group I am happy with.

Plus, more importantly, each theme pack has it's own mechanical differences as well,so while I may not care for zombies, a set of cards designed around avoiding them, passing them on, preparing for disaster etc, can be fun (the 2 revealed zombie cards will lead to players buying up more staff in order to remove the zombies and/or get more capacity to offset the negative from the zombie horde)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am with Ay.

I don't want to sound nitpicky; I'm very excited for this game.

It is a visual / imagination thing for me too.

Edit: Added this: I understand part of it may be to keep options open for expansions. In this area too, I would prefer the Horror Theme I and Horror Theme II expansion route vs. Vampire Theme and the Werewolf Theme. It's set for the Dinosaurs Theme, later on a Dinosaurs Theme II could be released.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to give a little background, I started work on Unfair in 2011, well before Smash Up was released, and I hadn't played a game of Smash up until earlier this year, so it's an unfortunate coincidence that their starting themes and ours overlap as much as they do. I guess it's the result of both of us looking for popular themes in the culture.

Unfair's first themes were chosen at that time by looking at common themes in parks like Disneyland, and also looking at the current pop culture trends at the time, which had Pirates of the Caribbean movies every year and vampire movies, shows, and books of every flavour constantly in the media.

The Vampires pack does have some crossover with general horror tropes - there's a haunted house, a maze of mirrors, a demented groundskeeper, a fortune teller, a mesmerist, and supernatural payback in the form of Instant Karma, but the mechanical focus of the pack is staff - having them, finding them, stealing them, enthralling them, which didn't fit too well with ghosts or zombies.

The Zombies teaser cards show one element of the zombies pack - not every part will be that negative. Our zombie apocalypse is triggered by a too-powerful energy drink - you can expect the pack to be quite tongue in cheek. Mechanically, burying cards, and benefits from sacrifice is the focus.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, you all have people excited!

You're doing great work; keep it up! You shouldn't take any suggestions as negative. Feel free to ignore them too.

Edit: Added this: I don't play Smash Up, so I don't care if the themes are similar.

I know that I like what you've suggested so far (I just want a wide scope on the themes - and if it isn't, I'm sure I'll still love what you've done)!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Desferous wrote:
Hey, you all have people excited!

You're doing great work; keep it up! You shouldn't take any suggestions as negative. Feel free to ignore them too.

Thank you! I couldn't be happier that everyone is loving the game

Don't worry, I don't take suggestions as negative - but I thought people might like to have some insight into how it all came to be. Thanks to everyone's support, it's now looking like the game will be successful enough to have some expansions, so I think we will have something to cover everyone's tastes before too long!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
...

The Vampires pack does have some crossover with general horror tropes - there's a haunted house, a maze of mirrors, a demented groundskeeper, a fortune teller, a mesmerist, and supernatural payback in the form of Instant Karma, but the mechanical focus of the pack is staff - having them, finding them, stealing them, enthralling them, which didn't fit too well with ghosts or zombies.
...

Was this a slip of the tongue?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha, sorry to disappoint, it's small-g ghosts, not The G Pack "G".

I just meant that a pack about controlling people works well with Vampires, because of their enthralling powers. Ghosts, goblins, zombies don't work as well with that thematically. I guess it could have been demonic possession, but then we run into problems with it not being a very theme-park friendly theme.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnyay wrote:
Like this game a lot and backed it at first sight. But I am a bit disappointed that the themes are designed to be more similar to different races in Smash up style rather than themed zones we expect to see in theme parks.

There's a couple of factors that drove this.

One is not wanting to get sued

The other is that we want the theme names to be able to combine, so you can have Robot Pirates, or Jungle Ninjas, etc. For example, the Western pack was called "Wild West" early on, but I realised that it made for awkward verbal combinations, so we changed it.

It's important to me that players be able to make up their own stories about the park they're building, so pack names are likely to be more like locales, time periods, or race/faction names that can combine reasonably well.

I agree that things like Robots, Aliens, perhaps even the upcoming H, or the not-yet-started T would all belong in Tomorrowland in a Disney park, but the beauty of the theme pack system is that you will be able to combine those packs and build your own Tomorrowland
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
The Vampires pack does have some crossover with general horror tropes - there's a haunted house, a maze of mirrors, a demented groundskeeper, a fortune teller, a mesmerist, and supernatural payback in the form of Instant Karma, but the mechanical focus of the pack is staff - having them, finding them, stealing them, enthralling them, which didn't fit too well with ghosts or zombies.

The Zombies teaser cards show one element of the zombies pack - not every part will be that negative. Our zombie apocalypse is triggered by a too-powerful energy drink - you can expect the pack to be quite tongue in cheek. Mechanically, burying cards, and benefits from sacrifice is the focus.


Thanks for your sharing! It is really nice to see designers sharing their passion and every little detail they considered before making their decision. Vampire cards feel like doing vampire things and Zombie cards feel like doing zombie things is one of the brilliant strengths of this game and making it so rich in flavour.

Maybe my wordings in the initial post make it feel like I'm comparing this with Smash Up in terms of mechanism (that is totally not my intention, sorry about that). What I mean is the name and flavour selection of those themes, something about the imagination of building a theme park, something like the difference between "I am building a park with Vampire theme, Ninja theme and Jungle theme" and "I am building a park with an Adventure Frontier, a Cosmic Land and an Atlantis Zone".

Please keep on the wonderful work! I cannot wait for it to ship!

EDIT: you have posted a perfect reply before I submitted this post so it's fine
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
ronnyay wrote:
Like this game a lot and backed it at first sight. But I am a bit disappointed that the themes are designed to be more similar to different races in Smash up style rather than themed zones we expect to see in theme parks.

There's a couple of factors that drove this.

One is not wanting to get sued

The other is that we want the theme names to be able to combine, so you can have Robot Pirates, or Jungle Ninjas, etc. For example, the Western pack was called "Wild West" early on, but I realised that it made for awkward verbal combinations, so we changed it.

It's important to me that players be able to make up their own stories about the park they're building, so pack names are likely to be more like locales, time periods, or race/faction names that can combine reasonably well.

I agree that things like Robots, Aliens, perhaps even the upcoming H, or the not-yet-started T would all belong in Tomorrowland in a Disney park, but the beauty of the theme pack system is that you will be able to combine those packs and build your own Tomorrowland

I do imagine it's tricky as all your names need to be both nouns and adjectives, so that you can have Jungle Aliens as well as Alien Zombies. I think there will always be some trouble spots (Western Jungle?) but since there will always be at least 2 in a park, we never have to think "why do I have a Vampire theme park?" but instead "How cool is my Vampire Pirates theme park?!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a "Y" pack yet? If not, then how about Yesteryear.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

I do imagine it's tricky as all your names need to be both nouns and adjectives, so that you can have Jungle Aliens as well as Alien Zombies. I think there will always be some trouble spots (Western Jungle?) but since there will always be at least 2 in a park, we never have to think "why do I have a Vampire theme park?" but instead "How cool is my Vampire Pirates theme park?!"


The situation will be more hilarious if we have Jungle Western Vampire and Zombie Ninja Robot
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnyay wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:

I do imagine it's tricky as all your names need to be both nouns and adjectives, so that you can have Jungle Aliens as well as Alien Zombies. I think there will always be some trouble spots (Western Jungle?) but since there will always be at least 2 in a park, we never have to think "why do I have a Vampire theme park?" but instead "How cool is my Vampire Pirates theme park?!"


The situation will be more hilarious if we have Jungle Western Vampire and Zombie Ninja Robot

well, a Zombie Ninja Robot would be a robot designed to look like a zombified ninja of course. I still have no idea how to combine Jungle and Western though
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
well, a Zombie Ninja Robot would be a robot designed to look like a zombified ninja of course.

Or a robot with ninja skills, which has had something go wrong with the programming, and now it's a zombie.
DragonsDream wrote:
I still have no idea how to combine Jungle and Western though

Cowboys riding rhinos and herding hippos (or vice versa)? Spearfights on Main Street at high noon? The sheriff wears a jungle mask and carries a blowgun? The saloon, bank, hotel, etc. (all the typical Wild West buildings) each located within its own clearing (just large enough for said building) along a jungle path?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like the way it's been designed. Every theme park does not have to look just like every other theme park. And making specific divisions, as the designer has done, leaves open the possibilities for lots of expansions. This makes my completist heart flutter with anticipation.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually was attracted to the fact that it was like Smash Up, because I love Smash Up, and the game feels kind of like a...er...smash up... of a lot of mechanisms I really like! Honestly I rarely kickstart, but this one was a no-brainer, especially with free shipping to Canada.

It's really neat to hear that the plan for this came before Smash Up too though. Great minds think alike!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If you guys haven't been to a good Ninja or medieval Japanese theme park you don't know what you are missing. They are awesome with training grounds, trick houses with hidden doors in every room, rope bridges, shuriken and blowpipe shooting galleries and more. Fantastic stuff.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.